meramec river spawn

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by TheMadCatter, Jul 4, 2009.

1. TheMadCatter

TheMadCatter New Member

State:
    missouri
    well im about 98% sure the spawn is in full effect on the meramec. tried 4 different bank spots lastnight, and ended with 7 gar. all were about the same size 2 1/2-3 foot. but not one catfish, we got tons of bites but none seemed to bite like a catfish. we fished live perch,cut perch, live craws, minnows, liver, cut skip, and some stink baits.
    at least i got some gar for bait now. i like having a bit of everything in the bait freezer, because you never know whats gonna work one day to another.
    think ill take catfish earl's advice and try and fish for bullheads while the flats are inactive, who knows maybe ill get a good number of them and be all set when those whiskery bastards decide to bite again.

2. wabah58

wabah58 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Took the boat out yesterday, launched at Flam. We ran up and fished before that massive log jam at 44-270 (the east pier) of the bridge. Caught a couple 3 lb channels there. It's snag city though there. Headed over to the very back corner of George Winter Park. I set out 4 jugs while pole fishing on the bottom there, in about 10 minutes 2 of the jugs made hard runs. Got 2, 2 pounders on those. Reset the jugs and had 2 break off, im upping my lb test on my jugs today and going to try it again tomorrow. Looked down at my gas tank and was almost empty, so decided to start the 10 mile troll back :angry:

At Flam caught up with some guys that fished down at the edge of Mississippi and Meramec, all night. They had 8 20lb channels.

Lot of small ones biting right now, but better than nuttin.

3. Manny

Manny New Member

State:
    Arnold, Mo
    I put in a Flam city yesterday evening. Took the wife and the neighbors.

We caught two channels about 1.5lbs on Sonnys and about a 4lb. flatty on a worm.

I too believe the spawn is on. I talked to some guys setting lines and they have been lucky to get a couple fish out of a couple lines. Mostly small channels.

It was nice being out for a while, water was nice and the weather was perfect.

Cant wait till the spawns over!

Manny

4. Hurricane

Hurricane New Member

State:
    Arnold, Missouri
    How long does the spawn usually last? I've been out bank fishing here and there the last couple weeks and can't get anything but little channels to hit.

5. jmanion8

jmanion8 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I'm the same way, I've caught a few gar, one was 16 pounds!, but none of the whiskers have been bitin :sad2:

6. TheMadCatter

TheMadCatter New Member

State:
    missouri
    i would think by late july the bite will be on again. now would be the time to take an adventure and find some new spots, whether it be by boat or bank. i am taking the down time to work on my boat and restock my supply of bait so that when its on again there will be no searching for the tools i need to land some great fish.

7. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    About july 15 or so the channels should be back on the bite in over drive find a cut bank with a good hole and a dirt bank with a grass above it. Drift grasshoppers ya will have a blast. Blues here are still spawwnen got a beat up 15 lber lastnight.