Meramec River - Flamm city access

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Tim70, Apr 3, 2008.

1. Tim70

Tim70 New Member

State:
    Maplewood, Missouri
    I am new to this board and look forward to joining some of the interesting threads on here. I have been wondering how easy it is to navigate the Meramac river down at Flamm city. I am fairly new to operating a boat. I have been mostly on lakes . I have been on the Meramec at George Winter with no problems. I have a 14 foot Jon with a 9.5 hp motor. It does pretty well at George winter. I know the river is up now but what about the typical summer months? Is it pretty shallow? Any good fishing? Is it a decent ramp? I really don't want to go out on the Mississippi. I think my rig is too small for that and I am still a rookie. I am still a little gun shy about rivers since it is a whole different game than lakes. Any input would be great.

2. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    First off, Welcome aboard, Tim. I think you'll be happy here, there are quite a few members in this area. Most of us hang out in the Gateway Cats section, listed in the Partners section of threads. You are more than welcome to join in on our fun.
    Now, Flam City during normal water levels would be a great place for your size boat/motor. I agree, the Mississippi is a bit large for it. However, quite a few members use Flam City access and I am sure they would have room to take ya out. I know a great location for getting shad for your bait, out of Flam City. Once the weather warms a bit an the rivers drop, I'd be happy to show ya.

3. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Welcome to the BOC from Kentucky you will love this web site

4. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Tim, Kutter gave you sound advice. I have used the Flamm City ramp on several occasions and can say that during normal water levels, it is a nice and decent ramp. The channel on the Meramec runs plenty deep, especially for a 14' boat.

I agree though, there can be quite a bit of barge traffic on that stretch of river and they sure can make some very large waves, I just wouldn't feel comfortable on the Mississippi in that size of boat, not out in the main channel anyway. When the river gets back to normal, you could sneak out to the mouth without a problem though!:wink:

5. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    Well Tim welcome to the greatest site about catfishing there is. As to your questions...First off the Meramec isn't much different down in the Flamm area then it is up by George Winter Park, so if your comfortable in the park/river area of George Winter then you'll do fine down from there. You can run your boat down river all the way to where the Meramec dumps into the Mississippi with out any problems and there is some decent fishing in the area as well. If you decide to run up river from there be careful the river can go from 20' deep to 2' real quick between there and the park area. As for the ramp it's a good ramp that is usually kept clean and is well patrolled by law enforcement. When the river gets real low Flamm is difficult to use and can become impossible at times, but during normal water levels its fine. As Rat and Kutter already said I'm not sure I'd risk a boat and motor that small on the Mississippi especially in that area there is alot of barge traffic and if your not used to those wakes they can scare the crap out of you. (Just ask Kutter how I looked the first time he took me out in his boat:crazy:) But, like it's been said many of us use that ramp and fish in that area and are always willing to pick up a willing anchor man for the day:wink:

6. Tim70

Tim70 New Member

State:
    Maplewood, Missouri
    Thanks for the responses. They have been very helpful. If anyone ever has any room I would jump at the chance of someone kinda showing me the way down there. Just let me know. I am getting pretty fired up looking at some of the monsters people have caught on this board.

7. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    Tim welcome to the BOC... You're gonna love it here.. A word of advice though.. If you do happen to take Kutter up on his offer make sure you take along some heavy duty rain gear.. It seems that the rumors say that you can actually see Typhoons and Hurricanes on the rivers up here while riding with him.... hehehe

8. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    Welcome to the BOC:big_smile:

9. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Oh, I dunno if I'd call them "Rumors" :smile2::wink:

10. Vince Copple

Vince Copple New Member

State:
    Missouri
    It is no rumor. It is true also his ability to see fog devils is a unique experience that all must endure once in their life.