MERAMEC REPORTS

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Manny, Jul 19, 2009.

1. Manny

Manny New Member

State:
    Arnold, Mo
    Went out late this morning, thinking I might break my skunks here lately.

Set up at one of my holes NOTHING.

Moved up stream about 50 yards and BINGO !

Before I could get my third pole bated my first one bent like a horse shoe.( It was nice to see a good bite again, its been a while for me.) It was close to a 10 lb. channel. A big head on it and kind of skinny, but it was a fish. Not even two minutes later I caught about 5 flats in a matter of 20 minutes. Not big but they were hitting. The biggest was only around 16 inches.

I cought them on a huge shad I was saving in the freezer just cut it uo into 1.5 inch strips. After running out of bait I went looking for shad. I couldnt find one if my life depended on it.

I dont know if there starting to come off there beds down this way, but my attitude is starting to change heading out. Maybe it was a fluke or maybe not.

Anyone fishing the Meramec please drop a report here:big_smile: 7-19-09

2. Scaley Cat

Scaley Cat Member

State:
    Missouri
    thanks for the report manny. any flathead is a good flathead if you ask me. GOOD EATS THERE BUDDY!!!

3. fridaybocopw

fridaybocopw New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I talked to a fish biologist this weekend, I asked him where the heck the cats were? I fished the missouri 4 nights in a row from 7 pm to 2 am and not one, not even a little bullhead. He told me inside corners and mulberry trees is where they were. He said after they nest they are exhausted and want out of the current and a easy meal. I don't know if you had a fluke or not but I moved my spot tonight to slower currrent and caught a few little ones then the dang sky let loose and I had to hurry up and get the heck out of dodge. He might of told me a myth or but it seemed to work. Made since to me anyway.

4. wabah58

wabah58 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Glad you're hooking them, I got skunked yesterday (Sunday) bank fishing on the St.Louis County side of the jeffco bridge. Last time out in the boat on the Meramec, (2 weeks ago) also a skunk :embarassed: Im really still trying to find the right holes on the Meramec. Gets frustrating some times. One good thing though, Im finding out where they are NOT!

I was hooking up decent last year on that darn river.

5. Manny

Manny New Member

State:
    Arnold, Mo
    I was down stream of you about 400 yards in the boat.:big_smile: that day.
    What seems to always work for me when there off the beds is to spend a day zig zagging the river near key points, mouths of feeder creeks, natural rocks areas, inside and outside bends, etc. Ill make a mental note or mark it on my handheld GPS. Even the slight differences in depth will hold fish. Sometimes as little as a 1 foot difference near a flat will hold fish.

There is a lot of flats on the river just look for slight differences in key areas. Hopefully they will start biting more.

6. wabah58

wabah58 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I've been hitting the feeder creek's, but just haven't hooked up. Im going to restock on bait, and just start marking spots on the finder and marking with the gps, like you said.