Menudo

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by ozzy, Sep 9, 2008.

1. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Love it, Hate it, Here goes.

This is my recipe for menudo. I start with 4 pounds of tripe cut, I get it this way already cut and cleaned. I put this is my dutch oven and cover with water. Bring to a boil and simmer 15 minutes, drain and rinse, this will remove alot of the fat. Return to dutch oven, cover with water and one tablespoon of kosher salt.Bring back to a boil and simmer for about 1 1/2 hours. Meanwhile in a sauce pan I cut up one habanero, three anaheim chilis, one white onion and about five cloves of garlic. Sweat this mixture then add the 7oz can of herdez salsa ranchera and a 29oz can of hominy rinsed. I also add menudo mix which you can find in the hispanic section. Its oregano, chili pepper flakes and some other spices. Add to taste. Set this off to the side and add after the tripe is cooked. Reseason and enjoy with tortillas and some lime wedges and fresh cilantro. "Side note" this mixture will have habanero, anaheim and red pepper flakes and from the salsa...jalapeno, ancho, and cascabel peppers. I also like to add a little dry cayenne. I think the different peppers really give it a good taste.Personally I like it quite hot, you can adjust the ingredients to taste. Olay

Attached Files:

2. Wvawitrado

Wvawitrado New Member

State:
    California, Fresno
    Thanks brother just copied and pasted this for my wife we love it!!!!! no hate here lol...P.S. i dont like the heat does the habanero and chillis really enhance it? I love it that much man 3 nights a weeker

3. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    i love menudo but i always get it on sundays from a friend

and when she is mad oh boy watch out it can get hot
    i like mine with bread thats been toasted and buttered but home made bread is the best

4. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    you forgot the pigs, or beef feet what the he!! kind of half breed are ya ha ha ha

5. CHAVEZ CHAVEZ

CHAVEZ CHAVEZ New Member

State:
    WesternSlope,CO
    ozzzzzzzy !!! your my kind of guy , you like posole ?? what else do you make ??

6. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I make it with 7 different chilis myself, Just gotta adjust to your personal heat level. Glad to see I aint the only one that loves it. Jeremy should be be here soon, I know he like crazy stuff.

7. Wvawitrado

Wvawitrado New Member

State:
    California, Fresno
    LOL :smile2::smile2::smile2:and isnt that big A$$ bone good luck if you get it?....Deep mexican folklore....

8. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    X-mas time cooking

get beef tongue boil till it is tender and about to fall apart

slice it into bite size chunks

get a pickle jar fill with beef tongue

put pickled onions and carrots and a mix if you want

then ad the juice from the jars from the pickled vegitables and make sure the tongue is fully covered in vinigar and pickle juice

then put in refrigorator for 2 days serve cold goes great with tomales on x-mas day

9. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    i love the bone and yup it is tradition i eat it every i mean every sunday with my family

10. Wvawitrado

Wvawitrado New Member

State:
    California, Fresno
    LOL i know several spots besides my grandmas of homemade menudo on sunday and have stuck to it for 2 years now I know its nothing but it means something to me from my grandpa who moved to our ranch in mexico to stay for the remainder of his time here 2 years back

11. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    Menudo...wasn't he a famous italian tenor?:0a10:

12. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages

Dang forgot to add to the recipe. Take a look at the first pic tho. :wink: Mike81 got me all wound up so I forgot a few steps.

13. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    ok i forgive ya

did you see my pickled tongue recipee

14. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Never tried it,I cant seem to get over the Ing. But I'm sereously thinking about it now . I knew about tripe ,But wasnt sure about the rest. Sounds worth a try any way ,Mike . Thanks for posting.

I'd love to get my hands on a good posole recipe tho.

15. Wvawitrado

Wvawitrado New Member

State:
    California, Fresno
    guys im off to get me some pickled tongue from this little market in firebaugh hey make me some of that goodness brother and ship it this way will pay for everything!!!!....And the pic told it all!!!

16. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages

Oh Brother! I make a mean Posole. After I chow this batch of menudo Ill make a batch of Posole, maybe next week. Ill let ya know when. :cool2:

17. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Crock pot chile verde is another one. Im gonna add all to the BOC diner as I make them with pics. :cool2:

18. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Usually they unload it to the gringo's on a take out. :smile2:

19. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Oz, awesome!! Thanks so much....I am gonna try your recipe for sure. Maybe this weekend. May have to leave out the Habenero though...lol
    You just left one main thing out of the post, your address...Let's eat!!!

Thanks again my friend, I love the stuff. :smile2:

20. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    yes i like mine with pata......and i prefer flour tortillas ,unless the corn ones are homemade then i will take them anyday