Menhayden oil, help me

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by flathead20000, Mar 20, 2007.

1. flathead20000

flathead20000 New Member

State:
    Indiana, Delphi
    I bought a one gallon jug of this stuff to use in my catfishing. I've tried putting it in my stinkbait. It didn't seem to help. I tried marinading fresh cut bait in it, it didn't seem to help. The stuff was kind of expensive, so I need a good cat recipe that I can use this stuff for effectively. Please give me any info you can. Thanks

2. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    You got menhaden oil or menhaden milk?
    If you got the milk you have to mix it with water and there is a certain way to mix it.

What I've done with menhaden oil catfishing is just to soak rags in it and tie the rags to the anchor line.

The water is still a little too cool to transmit scents over long distances. Its pretty much a summer thing.

3. flathead20000

flathead20000 New Member

State:
    Indiana, Delphi
    It's menhayden oil. So you use it basically as an attractent. If it is that good of an attractent then there has to be a way to use it as a bait. Also, I bought this stuff last year and tried it in the summer so it was not a cold water thing. I appreciate the resonse, thanks! Any other info would be appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!

4. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    I have menhaden oil also and I use it with other oils, like anise, crawfish, and other oils....I haven't got it down to a science, but with this board, I'm gettin better at using it....If you want to mix it with something that will make a "paste" like mixture, I would suggest cornmeal....I've also borrowed a bucket of floating catfish food and blended it up in a powder to mix with the oil...I have some mixed up, but haven't tried it....I'm planning to use it with 4" tubes and put it in the tubes....What you have to do is "use your imagination and do a lot of reading....Being an OTR truckdriver, and living with a mother that's a victim of 2 strokes, I don't get to fish much....lol.....But, in the meantime, I'm soaking up all the experiance I can off people like Whisler...Go to the library section and you can get some ideas...You can also learn to make your own fish oil.....Hope this helps...DemoMan

5. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    i used it a few times in the winter while striper fishing. I mixed oil with oat meal and very small pieces of cut up shad and put it in a bucket with holes drilled in it above the amount of mixture i had in the bucket. holes large enough for the chum and small pieces of cut up bait to go through. then i would find a area where birds were diving or i saw stripers schooling and hang the bucket off the boat to where the holes were about level with the water. and drift free lines through the area. the water would get in the bucket through the holes from the boat rocking or waves or what ever and wash alittle of the chum out. it would make a nice oil slick on the water and the oats and small cut up bait would slowly fall keeping the fish in a area alittle longer. my old boss man fishes salt water for stripers and that is how they did it there. it seemed to work better in the river where stripers come in from the ocean to spawn than it did in a lake where they are land locked. I guess the reason was the ones in the lake have never seen a menhaden and the ocean fish have. maybe