Menhaden Shad OIL

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by gearhead, Feb 21, 2008.

1. gearhead

gearhead New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC
    Do you every soak fish in menhaden shad oil for bait.How does it work for blues.

2. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Menhaden and shad aren't related...apples and oranges.

But yeah, I'm curious about that, too. I saw menhaden oil on EBay, and was tempted.

I used to use menhaden for bait on the gulf...awesome.

3. gearhead

gearhead New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC
    I thought I read a label on a gallon at BPS and it said Menhaden shad oil does that have a mixture in it.

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have used Menhaden Oil to enhance different brands of stink bait. It is really greasy and leaves a big sent trail. I would recommend it. Trappers also use it in their traps.

5. whodaman

whodaman New Member

State:
    Des Moines Iowa
    what about hearing oil i wanna know how that would work

6. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    A lot of trapping supply houses, carry it bought a gal a couple years ago can't rember where or price but white marsh brand they have other oils, to.
    Jim

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    For those of you who can catch a lot of skipjack, you can make your own oil without too much trouble. Take an old cooler, preferably with a drain hole, lay down a layer of salt, then a layer of skipjack fillets, a layer of salt, fillets, salt, etc, till the cooler is full, or you are out of fillets. Finish off with a layer of salt. I use salt from the feed supply store; costs less than $5.00 per 50# bag. Let it set. Oil will be drawn from the skipjack and pool on the bottom of the cooler. If you want, you can use the fillets for bait, or you can squeeze them with some cheesecloth to extract the last bit of oil possible from them. Not only is this oil very heavy and concentrated, it is sticky. Get it on your fingers, and you'll not get it off without soap.