Menhaden Oil

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by kyredneck, Aug 8, 2008.

1. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Mickey mentioned menhaden oil on anther thread and it's got my curosity up.

If memory serves me right the stuff's kinda pricey ain't it?

What's some good applications for it?

Does a little bit go a long way?

What's the shelf life?

Wouldn't something like canned sardines, tuna, or anchovies run through the blender work just as well as menhaden oil?

It would be interesting to hear from some of you folks that have used it.

Thanks. Larry.

2. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I just checked, the stuff's about 20 bucks a gallon; i just wonder how long it would keep; probably longer if you kept it refrigerated...........

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Yes, it's pricey, but a little goes a long way. Sardines or jack mackerel might work about as well, but now you're talking about plumb expensive, not just pricey. The other day, I saw my favorite sardines prices at over $1.00 a can. I think an ounce of menhaden oil would probably last longer than several cans of sardines, there's 128 ounces in a gallon, so you're looking at either $20 for menhaden oil or $200-$400 for sardines. No brainer, right?
    Now, for those of you who, like me, are too cheap to spend $20 on menhaden oil, think skipjack. For about $5.00 you can buy a 50# bag of salt at your local feed store. You can use a variety of cheap/salvaged containers to make your skipjack oil in. An old cooler with a drain plug will work; I use the big gallon size pickle jars after my grandsons chow down on the pickles. Don't try to use the cheap foam coolers; they tend to split out on the corners and make a mess. To make the skipjack oil, lay down a layer of salt, then a layer of skipjack fillets, a layer of salt, fillets, etc., till you run out of room or fillets. Top off with a layer of salt. Just set the container(s) back and let nature take its course. You can keep the containers anywhere that animals can't get into them. The salt will pull the oil out of the fillets, and you can simply drain or pour it off. You can use the fillets for bait, or squeeze them in cheesecloth to get as much of the oil out of them as possible, then grind them up for chum. This stuff is thick and super sticky. Like menhaden oil, you can use it in a number of ways: in a dip, stink, or punch bait; dip your bait into it; or even use a marinade injector to squirt some of it down the throat of your live baitfish.

4. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Jerry, thanks for the info. I might be cheap like you but I'm pretty lazy too. We don't have skipjack around here and that sounds like a lot of work (not to mention the fine smells involved), but probably worth it if you're running hundreds or thousands of hooks in the water. I might buy me a quart of the menhaden oil to try it out, or just stick with my blended up sardines for the small batches of bait.

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Larry I recommend the Menhaden oil for several baits. Dip bait, dough bait, soak dead shad, and for using in bait traps. Jerry Trew turned me on to this just after I joined the BOC and even helped me find it. It is a little pricey, but a little goes a long way. Shelf life is good also. Just reseal the jug after each use.