Menhaden Fish Oil

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by godsglad8tor, Jul 25, 2007.

1. godsglad8tor

godsglad8tor New Member

State:
    Riverside, CA
    did a little reasearch on chumming products and Menhaden Fish Oil comes up more than anise oil, has anyone heard of it and does anyone use it? if you do use it do you see a difference in results compared between the 2?

2. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Manhaden are one of the premier baitfish on the Atlantic coast and are used for just about every species.The oil is readily available in this area and is a prefered chumming item.Never heard of anyone chumming with anise but it is commonly used in a host of catfish baits.:smile2:

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Mikey Menhaden oil is thick and slick. If you get it on your hands, it's hard to get off. A little works great on a number of baits. Fur trappers also you it in their traps.Catfishconnection has it in small quanties. To order gal and 5-gal sizes you will have to contact stores on the east coast. AllTackle did carry it.

4. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Menhaden also known as bunker where I come from are commonly used for chumming up Tuna and Bluefish offshore. I used to soak my new plugs for stripers in the oil for a few days every season for surf casting.

5. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    They use that stuff in cosmetics, too. Cosmetics and stinkbait...that's gonna make me grin all day.:smile2:

Seriously, I've thought about soaking cutbait in it.

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I seem to remember that they used to make perfume out of whale brains, too. While menhaden (and oil) is used a lot in chumming and for bait in salt and brackish water, freshwater anglers don't think about using it because it's not 'native' to the waters they fish. But we use lots of bait that isn't naturally occurring in those waters: liver, cheese, hot dogs, bacon; the list may not be endless, but it's awfully long.
    If you do prefer to make your own oil from locally occurring baitfish, skipjack are an excellent choice. You can extract some really powerful, sticky oil from them. An old cooler is a good container to use, because it has a drain spigot on it, but that's not absolutely necessary. Go to your local feed store and buy a 50# bag of fine salt (less than $5.00). Put a layer of salt into your container, a layer of skipjack (I prefer to use fillets), layer of salt, fillets, salt, etc., till you're out of skipjack or the container is full. Set it aside to do its thing. Unlike a lot of recipes for stinkbait made from rotted fish, this isn't going to blow up if you get the lid on tight. As a matter of fact, you'll also end up with some 'cured' skipjack fillets that can be used as bait and don't have to be kept on ice. After a few days, you'll see an oily substance pooling up in the bottom of the container. You can put this on your bait, or even use it as an ingredient in your homemade baits. Just remember, a little of this stuff goes a long way; and it doesn't come off your hands without soap.

7. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    That's a good method to make oil JT it works on shad too or any other fish.

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Since shad aren't nearly as oily as skipjack, I've never tried it with shad.

9. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    Jerry has it together with the bait....He's one of the wise old owls when it comes to useing/preparing bait, especially skipjack....I've been away for a while, but I'm back now....Lightnin don't mix well with comcast...lol...Lost my laptop, two tvs, printer, and a cordless phone about a month ago....I'll be keepin an eye out on Jerry.....lol....

Anise oil shouldn't be considered as chum unless a couple of oz's are used in something like soaked grain...It's too expensive at around $5 for a small bottle....I've entertained the idea of catchin a couple of cooler's of shad and grindin em up and freezing them in quart freezer bags for chum....Dwight

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Dwight, if you're gonna go that way with your chumming, buy you a few of those small mesh laundry bags that you (well, actually your wife, I HOPE) put your unmentionables into for washing in the machine. Stick the mesh bag into a plastic bag a little larger than the mesh bag, fill the mesh bag with ground shad, and freeze. When you're ready to chum, stick the whole thing in the water just long enough for the plastic bag to come loose. Remove the plastic bag, put it in your trash bag, then lower the mesh bag into the water on a length of cord. Every so often, reach over and give the cord a jiggle to cause bits of shad to fall through the mesh. This is a common method of chumming in salt water. Actually, they generally buy frozen boxes of chum and put the frozen blocks of chum into the mesh bags. My way keeps you from having to actually touch the chum.

11. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    Jerry,

I can always count on you for the right info...Thanks bro

Mikey,

You can also use menhaden/crawfish oil to thin tubs of stink bait and make it a better dip bait.....Dwight