Menhadden fish oil

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Big Country01, Nov 21, 2005.

1. Big Country01

Big Country01 New Member

State:
    brandon,florida
    hey ya'll
    i found this stuff called menhadden fish oil,now i know that menhadden is a saltwater baitfish. does anyone know the purpose of the fish oil and has anyone ever used it? i've been thinking of soaking some shrimp in it, now we all know that shrimp works good by itself doesw anyone think the fish oil mite increase the chance of better bites??? you ideas would be welcomed.........

2. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    i know i califorina at the pay lakes people do really well with shrimp but i think that is because you can't use other fish like bream or anyother freshwater fish i know they use the fire out of mackeral

3. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Hey John. I know that it is primarily used to get a good chum or scent slick goin in the water. I have used small menhaden, we call em peanut bunker for bait and have had great success with channels. I have never soaked anything with it but it seems to me it would work well.

4. Big Country01

Big Country01 New Member

State:
    brandon,florida
    yeah blue cat i grew up in ca. and used the tar outta the macks myself
    and kat50 thats what i was thinkin(scary thought) i just wanted some other oppinions

5. kaleigh

kaleigh New Member

State:
    Lehigh Valley Pa
    IT WORKS GREAT,I WILL SOAK CLAMS OR SHRIMP IN IT.WHEN PUT IN THE WATER,IT PROVIDES A GREAT SCENT ATTRACTENT,IT IS ALSO A GREAT SALTWATER SCENT :)

6. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

Here is a real dumb question....Where do you get it???

Ray

7. kaleigh

kaleigh New Member

State:
    Lehigh Valley Pa
    IT IS A SALTWATER FISH ATTRACTENT.I FISH BOTH SALTWATER AND FRESHWATER.THE OIL SPREADS OUT IN THE WATER TO ATTRACT THE FISH,SALT OR FRESHWATER FISH. :D

8. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Menhadden oil is awesome to soak your bait in! I use to get some from a friend thats a saltwater charter captain. I use to soak almost all my bait in it, you can soak live bait in it and that works pretty good too! Diffently can help, I noticed seems to work best in the winter for some reason.

And for chum it is also awesome. For chum you can freeze it into a box shape and buy a "chum bag" which is actually pretty much the same thing as a laundry bag----------

(one of those white ones with a bunch of holes and a adjustable draw string on top)

And then tie it to a rope and drop it down in your fishing hole. Also chum seems to work awesome in the current, like in a river. Seems to work best for blue cats. I have heard f guys that buy big buckets of that stink bait and then dump huge buckets of it in thier fishing holes like a day before they fish there. And i\I heard that works good.

I catch alot of extra shad and freeze them and then smash or grind them up and use them for chum. That seems to work great for me! ;)

Ok as far as where to buy the stuff........hmm.....well the first place to check is any saltwater bait shops if you have them around your area. Second I guess might be Bass pro Shop, they usually have the stuff.
    Then you can check Wal-Mart but if your not close to saltwater than they probaly wont have it. Pretty much though it can be kinda hard to get if you dont live very close to saltwater because thats mostly who uses the stuff.
    But I dont think I've ever been to a Bass Pro shop that did not have it. So diffently check there if you dont have any saltwater bait shops around.

Good "cattin to ya"....Hope this help's! :)

9. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Some time back we had a discussion about this, and I did a search on 'menhaden oil' and found a number of sites that sell it.

10. Rockin' Blues

Rockin' Blues New Member

State:
    st.louis mo.
    never heard of it,is it anything like anis oil?

11. kaleigh

kaleigh New Member

State:
    Lehigh Valley Pa
    The oil dispersers in the water,creating a big slick,from the oil.I have used this oil with clams and squid in both salt and freshwater with good results.

12. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Anise oil is made from a plant, and is what gives licorice its unique smell and taste. Menhaden oil comes from menhaden, which is a saltwater fish in the herring family. It looks kind of like a cross between a shad and a skipjack.

13. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Would like any member to tell me where I can buy some of this oil.(menhaden) I recently bought an injector with a sharp needle, will like to inject some shad and skips with the oil! :confused:

14. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Top,you might have some difficulty finding it in Arkansas.It is quite common here and in fact I have a gallon at home and they sell it right here on the base at our outdoor store.I can send you the name of the company and you can contact them and ask about buying and having it shipped to you or if you just get down and dirty desperate I could maybe ship you a gallon but God help us if it breaks open.

15. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Top, if you do a search on "menhaden oil" and "chum" you will find lots of tips on how to use it, and places to buy it. I'll send you a PM with a link to one.

16. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Jim, thanks alot but Jerry PMed me with a link and I ordered a gallon. Should be here with-in a week. :D

17. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Good luck TopSgt. Please let me know how your idea of injecting the oil into yuor bait works. Sound's like it could work good. I usually soak my bait in the oil. Take it easy! :)

18. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    If it's anything at all similar to skipjack oil, it should be amazing stuff. While I can't say how effective either would be, skipjack oil is both strong smelling and extremely sticky. For those of you who know what an old linseed oil tack rag feels like, you've got an idea of what skipjack oil feels like. I accidentally extracted some skipjack oil while 'curing' some pieces of skipjack fillets using the same method I use for chicken livers. Afterward, I found that putting a piece of the cured skipjack on a hook got a film of the oil on my fingers, and that sticking my hands in the water to wash them off resulted in an oil slick 5' around me. And the oil wouldn't simply rinse off; afterward, my fingers would still be sticky. Only something like Dawn grease-cutting dishwashing liquid actually cleaned my hands.

19. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    I believe the catfishconnection sells menhadden oil.

20. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I ordered a gallon of menhaden fish oil a week back, it came in today 9 dec. 05. I will inject this oil into my skips and shad. I will let you know how it works!!