Memphis, Tennessee catfish

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by ChrisC.729, Jan 31, 2007.

1. ChrisC.729

ChrisC.729 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I wanted to take my son fishing on the banks of the mississippi river by the mud island boat ramp in the mississippi river greenbelt park. CAN ANYBODY TELL ME IF THIS IS ILLEGAL??????KNOW OF ANY OTHER PLACES TO FISH ON THE RIVER ACROSS THE BRIDGE IN ARKANSAS?????PLEASE HELP ME!!!

2. rwilley3

rwilley3 New Member

State:
    Brighton, Tenne
    I don't know about the legality of it but they definitely fish quite a bit from the bank up toward the little point where the Wolf River comes out just north of the ramp(I think there was an old ramp into the Wolf or something). I would call the Shelby County Game Warden and just ask. They also fish off the bank around the Shelby Forest ramp and that sure is legal if you have proper park stuff.

3. ChrisC.729

ChrisC.729 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thanks alot.Where is the Shelby County forest ramp.And what might you mean by parking stuff?

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I can't give you directions on how to get there, but on the Arkansas side, the areas near the I55 & railroad bridges are supposed to be very good. A few years ago, a new world's record blue cat was caught somewhere along there. The fish was hooked from the bank, and from what I've heard, would have been lost had a boater not taken the fisherman aboard and chased the big cat. Oh yeah, the bait was supposedly Spam!

5. ChrisC.729

ChrisC.729 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    HAHA I TOOK THE MEMPHIS QUEEN ONCE AND THE TOUR GUY SAID THE SAME THING!!!!THE FISH WAS 600# CAUGHT ON SPAM!!!!!

6. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    That last time we were up at shelby forest we didn't have to pay for some reason. I've slept since then and it has yet to hit my mind why. Rogers right tho, theres quite a few spots along shelby forest that you can access by walking a short distance. Shelby forest is north of memphis and its a state park.

Now on the arkansas side there is a small sandbar inbetween the two bridges that someone has obviously put a little work into by putting a picnic table there. If you can find the road that takes you to it, we've caught one or two there before while letting the dog stretch her legs. Its right behind the dike in between the bridges. Might even be able to walk the dike and fish if you can get out on it. I use to see people fishing under the bridge (old one) and was told they posted that now due to 9/11.

Rogers right on the wolf river. Theres people that fish that area quite a bit. Every time we come over theres someone fishin in that area. Good luck in your quest, i do know the arkansas record came from a bank fisherman on the arkansas side so it only takes that one good bite!

7. Memphis_Catfish_King

Memphis_Catfish_King New Member

State:
    Memphis,TN

since 9/11 railroad calls that private property trust me rail road police ran us off...n unless ur good at walking rocks down town memphis is no good..n yes shelby forest state park there are few places u can fish on the bank..take north watkins north off highway 51 ate dead end of north watkins make a left...at stop sign make a right n drive till u see state park markers for river ramp...u pass st. paul rd uv gone to far..

8. ChrisC.729

ChrisC.729 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Have you ever fished at the point where the wolf river at the mud island boat ramp?Aint to rocky out there!!

9. rwilley3

rwilley3 New Member

State:
    Brighton, Tenne
    I meant proper park permits etc. You don't have to pay anymore to get in but not sure if you have to have some type WMA permit to fish on the river or not. I know you have to pay to fish in the lakes and stuff. If you look up the number you will have to look for Meeman Shelby Forest.

10. ChrisC.729

ChrisC.729 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Oh i see.I found this thing on TWRA called take to the bank and it shows all of the places you can fish off the banks. It says you can fish off mud island park. I guess all of my problems are solved!!

11. ChrisC.729

ChrisC.729 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Any of you guys fish the wolf river and catch good stuff??

12. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    Chris, there is a boat ramp right on Mud Island, Go to front street and turn onto auction and go to the island. Go to the right and go to the end past the condos. The road will go to your left into a large parking area and you are right on the bank of the Mississippi River. If you need anymore help let me know and I can give you my cell or E-mail.

The Shelby Forest ramp can get you lost.

13. ChrisC.729

ChrisC.729 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    hahaha thank you for that information but i already know where that is.my question was is it illegal to fish on the mississippi bank on the park were the boat ramp is were the wolf river comes out!!!!!!!thanks!

14. ChrisC.729

ChrisC.729 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    anybody know what chlordane is??I am not planning on eating the fish if i catch any becuase i know that is some kind of chemical.