Memories From The Past

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Ace, Mar 24, 2006.

1. Ace

Ace New Member

State:
    Gastonia N
    Here lately my mind has been returning to old memories of my childhood.
    If you read this it just may take you back to when you were a young boy or girl.I grew up in the piedmont of North Carolina on a small farm I guess you could say.We oned a horse,cow,pigs,goats,chickens.
    We lived in a small town called Ranlo just out side The town of Gastonia.
    This was a cotton mill community where there are several cotton mills still standing today.
    We did not live on the mill village but in a hollow down below the mill village.
    This hollow was better known by the locals as yellowjacket hollow.
    There seemed to be more yellowjackets there than any other place around.

All the boys and girls liked to come our home and play because we had all the neat things like a creek that ran through the pasture and barn and a chicken house.
    There was 8 children in our family 4 boys and 4 girls.For my self I am number 6 in line.The village boys would come down to our home to play with us boys.And the same for the girls to play with my sisters.

In the summer time my older brother would build a dam across the creek with big rock and dirt so we would have a place to swim.Well we called it swimming but it was not that deep we mostly would play in the water and cool off. I caught a lot of fish bait in that old creek. Like Crawfish,Lizards,Salamanders Grubs,Heldamites,Minnows.

We had all kind of games we played. Just name a few the girls played jack rocks,hop scotch,jump rope,ring around the rosy,pick up sticks,paper dolls and hula hoops.

The boys number 1 game was marbles.Just about every one you would meet would have a pocket full of marbles and maybe a slingshot in his back pocket.If you were able to to search the ditches along the road and find some pop bottles then take them to the little store called Mack`s Do Drop In .He would buy them for 3 cent each then you could buy a bag of marbles for 10 cent.And maybe have a enough left to buy some two for a penny candy or gum.

If you owned a over size marble call a doeroller or a couple steels the boys would try to trade you for them because every boy wanted a doeroller and a steel.You could dye a doeroller at the store for about 3 cent but the steel had to come from and old ballbearing that some time we would find in the scrap at one of the old mills.Some times you would hit it good and find a couple bearings at one time.You would take a hammer and break them
    apart then you had a gold mind to trade the other kids.You was number kid for a while.

Back to the game just about every boy had his own set of rules he would play by when he won the game and it was his time to break.First you find a good sandy place and the draw a circle on the ground about 24 inches.
    Then each boy would put a agreeded number of marbles in the circle.
    Most of the time we would draw straws to see who went first.

The game is sort of like playing pool.If you were first, the object of the game was to knock out as many marbles out of the circle with the first shot.
    All the marbles you knocked out were yours.If the shooter you were using stuck without going out of the circle you could keep shooting until you missed.You had to have a strong thumb and index finger to be a good shooter.The steel was best for me. Some time you would shoot to hard and break the marbles.Most of the time the doeroller would not stick but it might knock out several at one time.

We also like to climb trees that grew close together we would try to cross from one to the other thru the limbs.We also like to find beer cans and stomp them around the hill of our shoes and see how much noise we could make running up and down the road.We had rock throwing contest to see who could throw the best.I better finish for now.

:cat:

2. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Good reading, it took me way back also.... I guess my age group was the last to play marbles, cause when I was around 12 yrs. old the Atari game system came out and all the kinds went in.
    Thanks for the memories !

3. Dragger

Dragger New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I hear you Brother from (Yellowjacket Hollow), some of the marbles we paid 10 cents a bag for are selling now for Big Bucks each........... Wish we had them back.... ps.Thanks for all the prayers .:0a31:

4. fraid_knot

fraid_knot Guest

I always enjoy hearin or readin bout folk's growin up.

Be nice to have half the energy we used up as a kid, huh. :)

5. canepole

canepole New Member

State:
    Woodlawn Tennessee
    My brother was realy good at playing marbles and he kept me stocked good in marbles, I'm going to post one of many old picture's I have , They were taken before My time.The picture was taken up in the hills of Kentucky, some of the boy's in the picture are my Grandmother's brothers

Attached Files:

6. whitewhiskers

whitewhiskers New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    anybody ever sneek dads hand saw out n go up the holler n cut large grapevines to swing across the holler? i bet there's still alotta saw's up in the woods that we lost r fergot to bring back. oh yea the small grape vines we smoked;)

7. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    I've swung on them and smoked them too.

8. Ace

Ace New Member

State:
    Gastonia N
    Hi Canepole I enjoyed the old photo .
    Here a photo of my Grandfather Parker in the North Carolina Smokey Mountain`s where my dad was raised.

:cat:

9. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Ace, when ever I think about marbles, a story my mom use to tell comes back to visit me. It seems one day in 1930 my uncle came home crying. Some bigger boys took him for all of his marbles! My mother, being his older sister and a tom boy, took her shooter to town and whipped the tar out of them in the ring and out! needless to say she brought all of the marbles home! lol

10. canepole

canepole New Member

State:
    Woodlawn Tennessee
    Here's some more old family pictures taken up in Eastern Kentucky ,Years ago.

Attached Files:

11. redneckdrum

redneckdrum New Member

State:
    kansas
    Thanks fer sharing thoes pic's,Tom.Sometimes I'd give anything to live like that today,even if I had to use a willow pole to catch cat's.

12. canepole

canepole New Member

State:
    Woodlawn Tennessee
    Great picture, Thanks for sharing with us, I love looking at old picture's
    Greg, I have swung from vines before, and had a few good falls, We had one in the woods that went over a dry creek and no telling how many of my childhood friends fell from it.
    any of you all ever played army with BB guns, Talk about Dumb, Yep I did it and got hit several times, Lucky no one lost a eye ball LOL

13. canepole

canepole New Member

State:
    Woodlawn Tennessee
    I would love to see some more old picture's, Old Army pics or fishing pic's, Or just some old picture's.

14. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Ernest, your post brings back lots of memories, I remember the marble games and the different ways of shooting mables.. I shot the marble with my thumb nail... I remember getting my thumb smashed and loosing my thumb nail and not being able to play for a long time. I had hundreds of marbles but shot them all up with the rubber shooter. They were good amunition. The Agees were saved as shooters.