memorial weekend

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by catfish kenny, May 18, 2008.

1. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    What does this weekend mean to you? It is the official kicker for boating round these parts - sand bar & PARTY-the end of spring & summers beginning;
    ......a time to pay homage to our lost loved ones ......?????
    Its also a dangerous travel weekend because we humans get a little liquid courage in us we are 10 ft tall & bullet proof so I would like to remind all of us we need to use our heads-DO NOT HIT THE BOTTLE & DRIVE plus be careful if you are cause there are alot of idiots out there including myself but I have a designated driver for the races I am giong to & yes I will be putting it away..Go out & have a good time if you can but dont put yer butt on the line.....DUI 's are freedom or life taking...one night on the town aint worth loosig your licence/ and or your freedom or your life......BE SAFE & HAVE A GOOD TIME !
    With all of that said CHEERS TO THE BOC!

2. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    this year. well lets see. laws to stiff to party. dui laws wont allow ya to drink 2 beers and drive 3 blocks.

gas to high to go on vacation or boating. ill be sitting in my shop on here drinking cheep beer. wishing i lived in america of the 70's.

fun right now is hard to come by. worried that in a year or two construction will shut down with the looming depression and ill be jobless.

3. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Well I'll probably fire up the grill. Don't know just what I'll have. I don't drink much anymore, and after I eat something, shoot I don't want anymore beer. I usually drink beer around here when I'm working sometimes. It takes the edge off being hungry and kinda perks a person up.

Indiana, Indianapolis 500, got to watch or listen to that on the radio. I will put on my Confederate Flag T shirt, so all the Vet's are Honored. Not just the side that won.

Other than that, don't know. I will put flowers on some graves between now and then.

4. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I'll do what I do every year. I fish a pond next door to a Memorial Cemetery. I'll meet up with a few VFW old timers, fish a bit and say my thanks for my brethren that have done more than I have. GOD BLESS AMERICA.

5. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
    :eek:oooh::eek:oooh::eek:oooh: hehehehhe

I will spend it getting ready for the week, putting together semester tests like I do every year and then I'm OUT to work at home for 2 months since I have 2 new classes next year with new books, plus one I've taught for several years now...:embarassed: Still look forward to being home though cuz I can manage to get a FEW things done there!

6. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    done decorated on cemetary and mem.day ill be saying my respect to my other family members that have crossed over.then ill be fishing course i only have a 10 min.drive to get to the lake and best fishing is from bank so dont cost that much.drive careful be save and come home after the holiday weekend.

7. punkin570

punkin570 New Member

State:
    MS
    Have a feeling we will spend the weekend at home doin things that need to be done here...gas is too high to travel and money is too tight to get out and party too much. May either fire up the grill or the fish cooker. Hopefully we can find a bank to fish from close just to wet a hook...tryin to not spend much on stuff til the stimulus check gets here. Will definately be paying respects to the service members both living and gone. Will probably put a few flowers on a few headstones as well. One thing is for sure, I will be spending some time on the BOC/SOC...can't go too long without that, I start goin thru withdrawls. Isn't a pretty sight either.
    Hope the rest of you have a happy and safe Memorial Day weekend.

8. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    I'm going fishing, and then maybe I'll see if catfish kenny will share his beer. Anyway it's supposed to be a nice weekend. Hope everyone has a very good and safe holiday.
    Later Andy

9. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    i stay away from the lakes...too many folks there that haven't let their hair down often enough.......i have a little private access to the local river...prolly ease down there a couple of times...and i will watch the world 600 and the indy 500:wink:

10. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I'll be on the river if there's room between set lines to rod and reel:smile2: Holiday weekends are big for guys around here to camp and run lines, so the river's a little busier than usual.

The boys' last day of school is Thursday so I'm looking forward to taking them on their first all nighters of the summer this weekend if the weather's decent!! :smile2:

11. Kat-tamer

Kat-tamer New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I never go anywhere on Memorial weekend. I always work. holiday pay for Monday!:big_smile:

I will probably go to the cemeteries and visit my grandparents at some point this weekend.

Maybe cruise gravel roads and go grave-yard hopping. Nothing like finding old graves in the middle of no-where after dark!:crazy: Take the kids, freak them out! Fun stuff, don't cost much.

12. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Hopefully I'll get a bit of fishing in somewhere. Really depends on what the boss wants to do:roll_eyes: Anyway everyone have a Safe Weekend.I don't want to get on here Tuesday morning and hear that one of the BOC/SOC Member got hurt or worse.

13. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    It will be a usual weekend for us other than some extra food fixings. I sure won't be getting on the lake... too many drunks and dope heads. But we never get on the water during weekends or holidays. That's another advantage of being retired.

I try to remember the real meaning of Memorial Day. Couple weeks ago we were at the Shiloh National Cemetery. Lots of graves and some with names on the stones. Then I noticed that the Confederate dead were buried in 5 mass graves. I took a picture of one of the sites.. had to enlarge it to read the sign.

Hope everyone has a safe and great weekend.

Attached Files:

14. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thanks Kenny, and you have a safe one too. I got a big weekend ahead of me. Got some grave sites to visit, Vets to honor. Saturday we are gonna fish a bit, the wife is having some folks over for my birthday, gonna burn some meat over the fire, try to drive Coors' stock up a point or two. Sunday we'll all probably fish again, watch the cup race in the evenin, continue tryin to help out the Coors stock holders. Monday,,,, well lets just see how Saturday and Sunday goes. :wink:

A salute to those who have served, and those who have died, for these United States of America. God speed.

15. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I'll be making the usual 500+ mile trip to Eastern OK so my wife can visit her family and do the flower thing on her familys graves. I dont do cemetary's so I'll be relaxin on the banks of the AR River. Fishin pole or two .... OF COURSE.

16. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Andy I dont do light beer!:cool2:

17. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    Gonna haul a bunch of kids down to my camp on the Jacks Fork. Let'em get real wet, do a littl' fishing, quite a bit of food cooking and eating will happen. Probably be some drinking but not by me, these days I mostly just watch the show and snicker a lot!:smile2:

18. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Got graduations and parties for 2 kids. Its been a long tough road for them so I gotta help em celebrate. Got a buddy showin up so we might go fishin too.