memorial day weekend trip to green river lake...

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by kycatter, May 11, 2009.

1. kycatter

kycatter New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    My girlfriend and I go on an annual camping trip to green river lake on memorial day weekend. I'm ready to do some hardcore catfishing this year and I know the state record flatty was caught in the green river.

My question is where do you guys think I should fish and with what bait? should I stay in the lake or should I fish the river below the dam? Anybody know what the flatty was caught on?

2. seahaggy

seahaggy New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I would fish in robinson creek.Great fishing for cats, bluegills, crappie and white bass.Use minnows or shad but don't leave out chicken livers and redworms.I have talked with the game warden and park ranger. They both showed me where to also fish the flats and there is a good one at the mouth where robinson opens up into green river itself.Fish will use the main river channel as a highway to and from these flats.I am sorry to tell you this but the state record flathead was not caught in this lake.It was caught in green river in the western part of the state toward the counties of munfordville, muhlenberg, etc."But" with that said both the game warden and the park ranger have told me Giant Catfish are in this lake. Channels topping 20lbs are available and flatheads are there 50lbs and up.They just don't know how big but there shocking program have turned these up and in good numbers.Good luck and i may run into you guys up there.I useally camp over at the Pikes Ridge campground.Great place for kids and robinson creek is right there not to mention the river channel runs close to shore here so bank fishing is great also.Later:0a23:

3. kycatter

kycatter New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thanks for the info man. I really appreciate it! We will probably try out robinson if you say its good. I think we are going to try fishing below the dam too. I really need to get a topo map of the lake this year too. We camp at the state park area... last year we fished right out in front of our camp site and caught a really nice size channel.

4. seahaggy

seahaggy New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Walmart will have a lake map or better yet you can buy a cd that has all the lake maps of kentucky on it. Good luck.

5. Marshall

Marshall New Member

State:
    Junction City,
    Can you get the cd at walmart??? Would it happen to have Lake Herrington on it? Cant find a lake map for it no where. TIA

6. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I got one from Wal-mart and I think Herrington is on it . Its on loan right now but I will try to find out if that book has it in there . I am pretty sure it does This book has a slew of lakes in it and I think it was under 20.00 bucks and since there is no depth/fish finder on my boat it has helped me some but.... add the electronics and the bigguns will be under the boat and over the net in no time .:wink:

7. seahaggy

seahaggy New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I have 2 cd's one is called topo-log and the other is kingfisher maps.Neither one has lake herrington on it.I do have a walmart map of herrington called fishing hot spots.

8. kycatter

kycatter New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Well, brothers we are heading out to green river lake tomorrow morning... be back Monday or Tuesday with a report! Wish us luck :smile2:

9. kycatter

kycatter New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    well we didnt fish as much as i wanted... fished out in front of our campsite the first day there and i caught a channel cat on a crank bait haha. also caught a walleye and a small bass. that's about it! fished with chicken livers the next day/night and got a few bites but no hook ups. i did load up on shad though :)

10. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Walleyes are yumo tho ! Maybenext trip will have more fishn involved .

11. seahaggy

seahaggy New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Went up myself with the girlfriend and drove over to the boat ramp.Put my feet in the water and #$@*!!!.water is still cold to me.Looked accross the lake toward pikes ridge campground and she looked really pretty with all the camp lights.We did no fishing just wanted to go up and relax awhile.There were a few shore fisherman and quite a few boats out.I've heard walleye are really good eating and would like to find out myself.Does Green River Lake have a good supply in her???

12. kycatter

kycatter New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Yea the water was VERY cold but we swam in it anyway :smile2: Ive heard there are a good number of walleye in there... that was the first one ive ever caught personally. i love that lake though. theres a lot of good fishin.

13. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Walleyes are great to eat ! And I too have heard there are plenty of wally's there.

14. fishassasin

fishassasin New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    whats a good time of the year to catch these so called wally;s

15. seahaggy

seahaggy New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I'd like to know that myself.The ins and outs of walleye fishinh.Green River Lake is the best place in the State to take kids camping and i can't wait to start going. :big_smile: :big_smile: :big_smile:

16. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Probably the best time of year to catch walleye is in early spring just before they spawn. They are in shallow water on rocky or gravelly points and in the mouth of feeder streams..