Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Steven from Georgia
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like so many weeks this year we had rain forecasted for friday. It wasnt a major front but still. We put lines in at 5:50. I dont think one of them even hit the bottom. Good sized spotted bass. Went a while with just dink taps. I look back and one of the rods is going down real slow. Herbie gets on it. Starts working the fish to the boat. Its just kinda of swimming around. Another rod goes down. I grab it and quickly reel in a small channel cat. Evidently Herbies fish didnt know it was hooked. When he got it close to the boat it took off to the bottom stripping drag all the way. The fish was going wherever it pleased. Had a little scare with the anchor rope while switching sides of the boat. I finally got a look at and she was big. Took a couple of more drag pulling moments but we got her in. Big flathead pulled the scales down to 39 lbs.
Long story short we fished until 2:00 that afternoon with only a small blue cat to show for it.

Monday,
Started off the morning same time same place. Wasnt long before we caught a small channel. Skunks off anyway. I was checking a bait when herbie starts pointing at a rod behind me. I grabbed it up and it had a heavy fish on it. It was swimming tworads the bank. I realized to late it was headed for a downed tree. I tried to keep it out but didnt succeed. Swam up in it and just sat there. I put the rod back in a holder and left it, hoping it would swim out. Didnt happen though. A little later i had another good take down. Had the fish on briefly and then it came unbuttoned for some reason.
Spot number 2. Got setup and started trying to catch some bream. Rod behind me slams down and starts peeling drag. Work the fish back to the boat. 20 lb. blue cat. A few minutes later the same rod is getting bit. Looks like a flathead is sitting out there swallowing the bait. Sure enough, reel it in and have a tiny flat head on it. Throw rod back out. A little father from the boat but same depth. Wasnt 10 minutes and caught a 6-8 pound flat head.
Tried a couple of other spots with no luck. Decided to graph around and look at a couple of spots. Decided to try a new spot. Its next to the highway. A portion of it has some bigger chunk rock where the road bed meets the bottom. Didnt take long and reeled in a small channel. I looked around and the live bream next to herbie is going down. Since he was asleep i decide to sneak back there and get it for him. Obviously a big fish. Started working it back to the boat and it hung me up on something. I was just fixing to give it some line when it broke me off. 3rd big fish gone for the day. Dang it!
Its after lunch and boats are really bad. We decided to drive up the river a good ways and leave them behind. We caught a few fish up there. Nothing but channels and bass.
All in all i cant complain.

20210529_063627.jpg

Resized_20210529_064642.jpeg

20210531_074631.jpg

20210531_080507.jpg

·
Registered
126 Posts
Nice reading and nice fish! I hope the new spot I'm going try tonight pays off because it sure looks good. I could go to my never been skunked spot but I need to explore some new holes for bigger flatheads. Got 25 live bluegills and going to try get some live chubs to take also. Tight lines!

·
Registered
247 Posts
Beautiful flattys!!! I love them little ones, little jokers are all mouth lol!!

That big one looks like a healthy fish, stout! Thanks for sharing the adventure.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts