memorial day weekend jug fishing

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Brentkeele, May 27, 2008.

1. Brentkeele

Brentkeele New Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    My family and I spent the weekend camping and fishing at a local sportsman's club we belong to. We had a great weekend. I have always enjoyed catfishing over ANY other type of fishing, but have never had a lot of success. I'll read up on different techniques and try all sorts of stuff and all sorts of bait and still not catch anything but the occasional fiddler. It's been kind of disapointing at times. This weekend had some kinda mixed results. We had our children with us (ages 8 and 4) who love to fish as long it doesn't last for more than 10 minutes at a time. With this in mind I wasn't able to devote any large blocks of time to chasing cats, as I really wanted to spend some quality time with the kids.

I decided to take the jugs with me and take the kids jug fishing. 18 jugs on a 20 acre lake. We would spend a half hour baiting and throwing the jugs out every coupla hours during the day. This accomplished the objectives of fishing and spending time with the kids without them getting bored. At night I would continue running them, once after everyone went to bed and once again early in the morning before anyone was up.

We caught one very large redear and then nothing else for quite a while. We were using nightcrawlers and chicken livers. Since this club does not allow the use of any minnows, shad, goldfish, or any other live fish for bait unless it is a fish that naturally inhabits this lake, my bait choices are pretty limited.

I got some remains from some fish that some other folks at the campground had cleaned. They were the filleted carcasses of bluegill and crappie. I took the heads and along with some of the guts still attached baited my jugs. I even took the rest of the carcass ( filleted ribs and tail) and baited some the other jugs with those.

I then started to catch some catfish. We didn't set the world on fire, but when all was said and done, we ended up with 5. None of the 5 fish were under 7 lbs. with the biggest being a little over 10 lbs. This weekend was prob a personal best as far as the quality of the trip, the time spent with the kids, and the fish caught.

I got some pictures taken but haven't got them off the camera yet. Hope to get that done sometime real soon.

Now, if I could just start catching some quality fish on rod and reel on some of my trips without the kids where I can devote some "reel" time on the water.

Thanks for reading,
    Later,
    Brent

2. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    It's great to see a guy that creates a weekend where he is involving the whole family. Welcome to the BOC.

3. Brentkeele

Brentkeele New Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've tried three times to get pics on here. Hopefully this works. Pics of fish and couple of the weekend in general.

4. Dan the Fisherman

Dan the Fisherman New Member

State:
    Ramsey, Illinois
    Brent looked like a great weekend. Catfishing is a great family outdoor activity. Thanks for sharing the pictures. Looked like pretty happy kids and some nice cats. By the way dad looked happy too.:wink:

5. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Looks Great Brent, by the way that SC has always been good with cheese or dip bait for some reason :wink: Right there off the boat ramp area, used to set with uncle Pete and slam them all day on BJ and L-7, cove just east (toward Hills) of Boyscout camp was always the best, that little tiny creek runs through there, nothing much but i guess it was just enough to hold them Channels! Again, Great looking pics! (this is assuming that it is the same SC lake that is):smile2: And I am guess it is, you ever make the walk across the tree line and try the pond (NW of clubhouse)

6. Brentkeele

Brentkeele New Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Yeah it's the same place. I've always had good luck with lucky 7 but not usually until the water warms up. I've not experienced much luck in the early spring. The cove the creek feeds into has always seemed to be pretty productive for me as well. I've also experienced a fair amount of success down on the north bank adjacent to the dam. There is always a ton of bluegill beds in that area and if ya fish out a little deeper past the beds you can usually find some. I'm fortunate out there as I've been a member for about 13 years now and there are few people that target cats. Most go after bass or crappie. I love to catch a mess of crappie, but as far as I am concerned, the catfish has no equal. They can have the bass.:wink:.

7. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Yes, man I couldn't even begin to count the times spent there and fish caught, yes you are correct that north bank I used to like to wade there with an old cane pole and a little popper, them GIANT red ear are awful hard to beat in the hot grease :wink: Or off t the bridge there for the scout amp side was always good for the big gills also. Man I'll bet it has been 15 years since I have fished there, LOL. Last time I went out and road through the lake was so mossed over I really didn't think any one cared about it anymore, back then some quite a few actually of the cabins were trashed, and the beach area was all but gone under weeds, woo, that has been a long time ago, LOL. Glad to hear it is back to the old days in a ways I think my Uncle Pete still hold the Bass record out there, he fished that thing every day of the week after work, him old man Brickner, and stumpy L. OK enough reminiscing, LOL.

8. jeselder

jeselder New Member

State:
    illinois
    sounds like you had a great time