Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

· Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're starting to pull together our anual Memorial Day fishing/camping trip and I wanted to bounce you folks an invitation to come catch up with us. My plan is to set up camp on the Congaree River somewhere not too far up stream of the Bates Bridge Landing (Hwy 601) on Wednesday (5/26) and stay until Monday (5/31). We will definately be above the tressel though so don't give up if you have to ride 20 minutes are so to find us. This just helps to avoid the non-fishing vessels.

I don't expect to many folks to show until Friday so I'm gonna get in some serious R&R and fishing the first couple of days. I'll probably be doing more cooking and socializing than anything else from Friday til Sunday as we normally have a pretty good crowd those days. We'll have a fish fry one night (Saturday) and I'm thinking of maybe a Beaufort stew at some point.

If you haven't made plans for the holiday weekend I strongly recommend this area. The beauty of this section of river is in how primitive it is and the fact that it's usually pretty easy to escape the lake crowds. There's easy access and enough water for most any freshwater boat... Oh by the way, I almost forgot to mention that you stand a pretty good chance of landing a decent sized catfish to boot.

I'd love to meet some more of you guys so if you want to catch up just let me know and I'll add some more grits to the pot....

· Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will be there this year again... Leaving the dog behind this time lol.... I will be there friday afternoon.... Let me know what you need me to bring...
Yeah man!!! I already had ya'll included. You know the dog never bothered me. I've been debating bringing my labs. I take them on one nighters all the time. They love the river. I just don't like tying them up and it's nice not having to worry about them 24/7. I'm always a little wary of the gators down there with the dogs running loose at night too.

· Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Frank: We'll be watching for you. Give me a call this weekend and we'll pull things together.

Dean: Hope your doctor's visit is nothing to serious. I'm due a big cat. I haven't caught anything I would consider a really big fish since last year To be honest, I really haven't put the effort in either. The river has looked great though and I'm feeling pretty good about it. Either way it's gonna be a blast. Let's plan on hitting the water once you get your wheels back under you.

· Registered
126 Posts
This sounds like a good time. I was thinking of starting on The Congaree in Columbia and going all the way thru the Locks to Charleston. I have been trying to do some research to see if the water is deep enough in the Congaree and Santee river and also does anyone know of landings to possibly get gas along the trip. I just started thinking about making this trip a few days ago and then I look and ya'll are already planning to be there. Does anyone know of a place to get a detailed map for the journey showing gas stations and such along the Congaree and Santee Rivers or should I have to pack the gas on the boat when I start out in Columbia? Any advice or knowledge you guys have of the area will greatly appreciated.

· Registered
2,395 Posts
Kevin some boaters in my area use to make that trip once a yr. They would put in at Packs Landing and make the trip. They had prety big boats some being 24ft fiberglass boats. They would make the run across Lake Marion (follow channel markers) to the canal on to the Lower Lake to the Locks. Chanell markers mark the way. I would get a map of the Santee Lakes but when you go thur the locks you will be on your own. I have heard that the river splits on down so you would have to find out what fork to take. I have fished below the locks but never made it past a chanel marker i seen in the river. I'm sure it will be a fun trip.

· Registered
889 Posts
Me and my buddy tried that last year... Lowfalls to about half way to char after locking threw.... Man on the second day late afternoon the heat, beer and santee baths was taking it toll on us.... it's not a bad ride just dont try to fish the whole time like we did and party with others while waiting 45min-2 hours on the lock... oh yeah key info you cannot lock either way after 7pm or 9pm... There will be no one to operate the locks...

· Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This sounds like a good time. I was thinking of starting on The Congaree in Columbia and going all the way thru the Locks to Charleston. I have been trying to do some research to see if the water is deep enough in the Congaree and Santee river and also does anyone know of landings to possibly get gas along the trip. I just started thinking about making this trip a few days ago and then I look and ya'll are already planning to be there. Does anyone know of a place to get a detailed map for the journey showing gas stations and such along the Congaree and Santee Rivers or should I have to pack the gas on the boat when I start out in Columbia? Any advice or knowledge you guys have of the area will greatly appreciated.
Kevin,

Below the rocks in Columbia, the Congaree/Santee is navigatable along it's whole length. One of the main reasons Columbia is now the capitol of SC is these rivers. Barges could make it to Columbia loaded with goods from port in Charleston and then be off loaded for distribution anywhere in the state. It's got a pretty sandy bottom and relatively predictable water flow compared to a lot of other rivers so once you learn to avoid the sand bars and stumps you'll have no problem and the stretch below Sandy Run is no problem at all.

Like Dean said, just get a Marion/Moultrie map to help you plan your stops and the rest is pie. Take it easy and watch out for stumps, shallows, and the weather and you'll have no problems. There is no fuel above Lake Marion but Pack's Landing at the far upper end has pumps. Once you hit the lakes there are numerous places you can fuel up.

If you decide to make the trip drop me a line and I'll give you my cell in case you run into any hang-ups or just want to catch up with us.

· Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
can you setup camp anywear on the river.
Santee Cooper's property starts down around the convergence of the Congaree and Wateree. They control most of the flood plain and it's treated pretty much as public domain... hunt,fish, camp it's all good. Honestly it's a little foggy above there but as long as you're below the high water mark you'll probably be alright. I happen to know the folks who on the property adjacent to where I plan to camp so I've let them know just out of courtesy.

· Registered
52 Posts
Hey guys new to site but not fishing. Me and two other guys are gonna be camping at elliotts all weekend this coming weekend also. Plan to fish anywhere in between the convergence(spelling???) of congaree and wateree and the blow out. SCCatfishing I got your number saved in my cell, might give ya call and see how the bite is in the river. I'm plannin on being at camp by lunch time friday. We do not know to much about this area. We have camped at the convergence 2 times before but only so we could use limb lines. Just trying some other areas to be honest but anyhow I will leave my number at the bottom of this post so you or anyonelse can also call me if you'd like to see if we are doing any good in the flats or what ever ya'll call that area. My name is Russell and my cell number is 843-230-4722.

By the way, how do you thanks someone for a post????

· Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What day? I'm planning to be there from Wednesday night til Sunday night. Look for a couple of eazy up tents and a 20' smoker craft center console jon boat. 803-664-4967. ..I may run down to Elliots for some crawfish sometime this weekend my self.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.