Members Catfishing Stories?

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by Bmac, Jan 24, 2010.

1. Bmac

Bmac Member

State:
    Kansas
    I didn't see one of these threads here,and we are passing time till spring. I'll start....

My most rememberal fishing moments were the one on one trips with my youngest boy. I hope to get him back out on the water too some day. He's in college now,and has a women of his own competing for his time.

MVC-004F.jpg
    Quite a few trips with him come to mind,but the best was his first hookup with a big Milford Blue at 14 yrs old. I had been on these fish for awhile,tearing them up at night. Thought I'd better get him out there before the season ended. I had backed the drag off for him,knowing the 20-35 lbers I'd been on would pull him out off the boat. lol

I had been telling him about these fish,and hoped to produce the day I took him. You know how it goes when you talk it up. Started my 1st pass along the break that had been yielding the most fish,...notta. Moved to another area,strike two! I could see the dissapointment in his eyes at 2 am, ouch! Dang, I hadn't missed in weeks out there,knew those fish were close. So, I reasoned it out and moved to a secondary break nearby. Imediately marked fished getting into position. As we slid quitely over the fish dragging baits,I told Brandon to get ready. Looking at me (like yea,right) he sat up in his chair anyways.

Bang bang, two rod tips in the water with drags screaming. Set the hook I yelled as I grabbed for the other rod. I had mine half way in,but Brandon still couldn't get the rod out of the holder. Knowing mine was smaller I jerked the trolling motor out of the water,and placed my fish on a short leash back in the rod holder. Turned to help him about the time he pulled the rod free. I sat next to him admiring the way he was horsing him in. He was bringing it too the boat,pumping the rod like a pro. I reached for the net,telling him we need to make this quick as he hasn't figured out he's hooked yet. The fish surfaced just out of reach. One more time I said. Brandon cranked back down and pulled. Thump, the cat's nose hit the boat.

A big splash and the reel scream was what we heard next,as the Blue went straight to the 30' bottom and out. I reached for the hood on Brandon's suit as his knees reached the boat's side. He was about to go over when he squatted down and rared back. He had him,but the spool was half empty again. In the dimmly lit interior I could see the tears in his eyes,as the doubts began to set into his mind. You got him I encouraged,just keep the line tight and take your time. Slowly pump after pump he brought it back to the top. I made sure I was accurate with the net,because I knew he couldn't do it again. Score! I was so proud of him I started to well up. lol Sat him on the bait tank seat and laid his prize acrossed his lap for a picture. Damn, I still had a fish on!

After a short break we made another pass for a few more fish. He caught another before admitting he was tired. We talked about that nite for a long time. Yup, those were the days......

More cat pics as I watched him grow up. Brandonschan.jpg DSCF0560.jpg

2. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Great pics and story Brian.
    I miss fishin with my Dad more than anything. I lost him when I was 21, when I was busy with girls and not fishin as much. Im glad I fished with him alot when I was in my teens. I wish I could fish with him just one more time.:sad: I am grateful for the gift he gave me though.
    Your son will come around.
    I will try to add a story later. I am a slow typer and I dont have the time now.:laugh:

Attached Files:

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Brian Welcome to USCA. Thanks for sharing the neat fishing story and pics. WTG. Enjoyed.

4. Gamblen

Gamblen New Member

State:
    Kansas City, KS
    Welcome to the USCA Brian. Great story and excellent pictures.

5. ZachDinicola

ZachDinicola Member

State:
    Greatbend/Hays
    great story.. i love fishing with my dad!

One time we went up to fall river boating and fishing around.. i couldnt have been more then 5 or 6.. i fell asleep so i didnt get to fish, i started to cry so my dad took me to the spillway on the way out.. throwin a little jig i reeled in a 5lb flatty =P believe that it was my first catfish ever.. good times

6. Bmac

Bmac Member

State:
    Kansas
    A 5 lb flathead on a jig is still a treat!

Was near the north island on milford when a fella (name to be withheld) along for the day caught a 40 lb flathead while spooning for whites. Took forever to get that pig to the boat. The best part of the story is the gal sitting on the rear deck,with her feet on the lower deck. She b!tched and nagged during the whole battle. She was told that she'd be back in before it got hot out,and we would have been if that cat wasn't hooked. The longer it took the hotter she got,and the more annoying. She was driving me nucking futs.

When we finally netted the poor worn out fish I asked him if he was going to keep it. Told him I doubted it'd make it if released,so he was more than happy to take his trophy home. The hag (sorry girls) started reaming him. "YOU AIN'T TAKING THAT NASTY THING HOME,NOT IN MY HOUSE...." Still hanging onto the flathead he asked me were to put it. "IT'S GOING TO STINK UP THE PLACE....." Just lay it on the floor,which happened to be right behind the front deck dirrectly in front of "AND HOW DO YOU PLAN ON GETTING IT HOME" After seeing where he laid it down I stood behind the center console,and started the 200 evinrude. "YOUR NOT LOADING THAT IN MY CAR..." After the embarrassed fella sat down in front of the console I slid it into gear. "I SUPPOSE YOU THINK YOUR PUTTING THAT IN MY FREEZER..."

Remember where I said he laid that fish? My lower deck was fiberglass,and that fish was slimey. Yup, you guessed it. I know it was wrong,but I had enough. I hammered it bringing the bow into the air. That big flathead slid head first,right at her feet. She let out a scream,lifted her legs,and rolled right off the back of the boat!

Yes, we turned around. What kinda guy do you think I am.....:wink:

Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  7. Bmac

Bmac Member

State:
    Kansas
    Oh, and Jim you know her too! LOL

8. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Yeah Brian, I do kinda remember hearing about that one. She deserved what she got, I'd of made believe I didn't see her go off, left her in the water while I took a couple hundred yards to turn around.:gotu:

9. Bmac

Bmac Member

State:
    Kansas
    Yea, that's the same Queen I had out that piss'd in her hubby's beer cooler,because...well that's another story. LMAO!!!

10. THE PAN MAN

THE PAN MAN New Member

State:
    hartsburg mo.
    cmon man u gotta tell that one also. lol.

11. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    When I was 13 or 14 we had a couple beavers build a series of dams in the creek near our house. I had 2 conibear traps and not a clue on how to use them but I was going to catch some beaver. Without waders or guantlets I couldn't really get in the frigid water to get proper sets made, so I made a hole in the top of the dam and set the trap where the beaver would walk through it to fix the dam. Well while I was setting up the first trap a 2 pound cat swam over the dam and got caught in the sticks below. I was amazed. A couple minutes later here came another one. I had no idea what was going on. Well with a couple sticks and some redneck ingenuity I rigged up a little holding corral that would hold the fish that came over the dam until I could come collect them. I think I ended up with 6 fish in the end. All between 1-3 pounds.
    Later I figured that the pond that held these fish had frozen up and the fish were coming up by the tube to get oxygen. when they did that they would get sucked down the tube and end up in the beaver dam. They were doing the same thing in the beaver dam that they had done in the pond. They would go by the dam to try and get O2 and go over the dam into my corral. The flesh when we cleaned the fish was a real light blue, probably from the hypoxia. Oh and I did catch 1 beaver.

12. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Thats a good story Casey...So did you have some BBQ Beaver??

13. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Great story BMAC, I think I too would have went another few hundred yds before turning around for a mouth like that. Casey , thats pretty nifty. You are the Kansas MacGyver. lol

14. Bmac

Bmac Member

State:
    Kansas
    That's pretty good Casey. Did you bring a stringer with you when you checked your trap? :laugh1:

tube,stick,beaver,trap,and fish...There aughta be a joke in there somewhere.

How many of y'all have had the tar scared out of you by a beaver,running limb lines in the dark? They'll swim along the boat and smack that tail on top of the water. Sounds like a shotgun going off.

Was running lines one night. Got back near camp to check the last line,and found a 5-6 lb channel in the tree about 5 ft above the water. Couldn't figure that one out until daybreak. Seen another channel on the same line dancing around on top of the water like a jumping bean,then Pow! The damn thing flew up in the same tree. A beaver surfaced,must of been a damn nearby and she didn't like the ruckus going on.

15. dolphinswmmr

dolphinswmmr New Member

State:
    kansas
    Had a beaver attack the boat one night on the Kaw. Hubby and I were out around Edwardsville ramp and were near the bank on the south side of the river. We seen him swim across the river towards us. We lost sight of him near the bank because of the shadows from the trees. We could hear him rustlin around on the bank. A couple minutes later we heard the splash of him getting in the water. He swam about 5ft from the boat and started slappin his tail on the water. Must of done that 15 times. When he decided we weren't moving he hit the boat with his tail and swam off. We just sat there lookin at each other. :laugh1:

16. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    The summer before last out at Tuttle below the tubes on the blue, I had a beaver swim beside the (I fell asleep) and slap Thought I got shot at as I fell out of the chair and damn near in the water.

17. Bmac

Bmac Member

State:
    Kansas
    Chris, it takes a big man to admit he got slapped out his chair by a beaver! :laugh:

For those that wonder about the Queen and the beer cooler.

A buddy and I were making morning fishing plans the night before. The Queen and her hubby overheard us talking,and wanted to go along. Knowing they'd be up late drinking we told them fine,but we're leaving the dock by such and such am. We were both shocked when they showed up the next morning bright and early. We told the Queen she'd better go to the bathroom now,because we were running to Farnum (from curtis creek) and it was rough and cold out there. We're not running back in 2 hrs. because you have to pee. (she didn't like outhouse's at boat docks,so we knew the one in farum creek was out). No,no I don't have to go.

We made the rough trip across the lake,and got into position to drift where we had the day before. Everybody dropped lines and settled in. Made our 1st drift and pulled back up for another. Dropped lines again,and she says "I gotta pee". Aaargh, my buddy and I looked at each other like (summmb!tch !!!). The hubby knew well what we were thinking,and told her she was just going to have to hold it or hang it over the side. "WHAT, SOMEONE WILL SEE ME!!! We're not going back in he said,and I remember thinking you go guy!

Well, she was sitting near me and asked about the 3rd or 4th pass if I had anything in my cooler. Now why would she want to know what's in..."oh I said it's full of stuff". Thinking to myself you got to be joking women. Her and her hubby had brought along their own lil cooler,and were already tapping into the beer. We all knew she wouldn't last much longer. lol Finally she got up and was messing around behind me. We all figured she gave in and hung it over the side,so none of us looked. Soon she said "OH GOD THERE'S A BOAT". Out of instinct I started to turn around. "STOP LOOKING!!!" she screamed at me...Lmao! As if lady....

She finished her business and returned with another beer,which she handed to her hubby. He twists the cap off and asked, was the water cold? No she said, "I AIN'T PEEING OVER THE SIDE". What do you mean he said,I thought you just pee'd. I did, she said calmly. Where did you go, he asked as he tipped the bottle up taking a big swig. In your cooler, she told him.

Yea, she emptied the cooler first,but you shoulda seen his face as he looked at his beer then the cooler. Still, I'd of tossed that cooler. :arghh:

18. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    Alright not a catfishing story but another beaver story. This happened a couple years ago. I was teaching my cousin tyson how to trap beaver. While I've tried snares I wasn't a big fan of them for beaver trapping but Tyson liked them because they were cheap so he had set some. Anyway we had set a few snares in the bottom of this deep ravine. Since the banks were so steep the beavers had just dug their dens back in the bank. We come back the next day after setting some snares in front of dens. We get to one of them and see that the snare is gone but the bank has been worked over real well and the den had collapsed. We started looking for the snare anchor thinking maybe the beaver had possibly drowned and was under water. We found the cable and it went straight into the bank (where it had collapsed). So we went back up to the truck, got a shovle, went back down and started digging. We only had to dig about 2 feet and we got back to the original hole. Looked up in the hole and about 4 feet in you could just see the back of this beaver.We started pulling on the snare and this beaver put his back foot up against the hole and just wedged it there. This thing was HUGE. It was a game of tug of war from then on out. We probably fought this thing for 15 minutes, and couldn't hardly budge it. Anyway after all this fighting it finally gave up and came running out of the hole at us. Tyson was in front of me pulling on the snare and when it came out, it was like in tug of war when someone lets go of the rope. Tyson fell over in the water, and here this giant beaver was coming out after him. I had a .22 next to me and was going for it. The whole time Tyson was screaming like a little girl "SHOOT IT, CASEY, SHOOT IT!" I grabbed up the gun and poped it once, killing it instantly. This beaver was the biggest one either of us had ever caught. It weighed 56 pounds. I guess that would make it my PB beaver.

19. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    One time, when I was about 16 or so, my Dad, my uncle, my cousin and I went fishin down in OK at Kaw Lake, below the dam. It wasnt often that my uncle got to go because he was a diesel mechanic and was always on call. This is one of the few trips I remember with him. Quiet a memorable one too.
    We got on the water and tied up to the cable and immediately started catching fish. Eventually my uncle and I passed out while my Dad and cousin continued to catch fish. They soon ran out of bait, and we had to go get more. So we untied from the able and headed to the bank so they could walk down the wall to net shad. My uncle and I stayed to watch the boat.
    I remember my Dad tellin me to keep a close eye on the boat incase they shut off the water.
    Well, they took so long to get bait that we fell back asleep.:bad:
    While we were sleeping the blew the siren, which means they are either shutting off the water, or opening up more gates. Unfortunately we were so tired it didnt wake us up. They shut the water back and the river began to drop fast.
    Something woke me up, and instead of looking at the sky I was looking at the dam.
    The water had dropped 3 or 4 feet and just the a$$ end of the boat was in the water, the rest of the boat was resting on a rip rap bank. When I stood up the boat rocked and felt like it was gonna tip over. Holy crap, that was scary. What was even scarier was thinking of what my Dad would say beacuse he told me to keep and eye on it.:freaked-out::sweat:
    I had no choice but to get the boat back in the water, and get it there before my Dad got back.
    So I climbed into the water, which was down a steep bank. I got to the back and slowly got the motor out of the rocks. Then I just kept rocking the boat back and forth, inching in back into the water, one step away from being in water over my head. I managed to get the boat back in the water and needless to say I wasnt tired anymore.:smile-big:
    Soon after my Dad got back and asked why I was wet up to my chest. As bad as I didnt want to tell him, I couldnt lie. At first he was mad because I didnt listen, but then my uncle told him what I did to get it back in the water and how I kept saying " my Dad is gonna kill me".
    He thought that was funny, and knew it was probably a bad idea for two half asleep guys to watch the boat, so it was decided that it was a little bit of every one's fault. He was proud of me for getting it off of the rocks. If I hadnt woke up when I did, we would have been left high and dry.:clover:
    That was the last trip with my uncle. He passed away a year later. It was a trip I will never forget.

Attached Files:

20. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    I was 7 or 8 years old when I got my first nice flathead. My Dad took me to a bridge here in town to do some fishin. After awhile with no bites I decided to check my bait. I went to reel in the pole and it wouldnt go anywhere. I was snagged, or so I thought. So I started pulling on the pole trying to break my line when it took off. Kinda scared me a little bit.:tremble:I had never felt the power of a big fish before. I could see and hear a bunch of splashin down in the water as this fish was trying to get off. Man, what a rush. My Dad was laughin the whole time.
    I eventually got the fish to the bank and my Dad went down and got him. I was one happy little kid.:biggrin:
    That was my first good fish, and it sealed the deal on my addiction to catfishin. Almost 20 years later I am still out there, but I dont know if a fish will ever compare to that one.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010