Members Black Powder rifles?

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by jlcclh, Mar 29, 2007.

1. jlcclh

jlcclh New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I was just wondering which gun and scope combos you use?(If any scope) And powder (loose or pellets) and Bullet. My current set-up is...TC Omega Realtree Thumbhole Stock/ SS barrel. 3x9x40 Realtree Nikon scope. 150gr. Tripple 7 pellets. 245gr. Powerbelts.

2. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I shoot a Thompson Encore in 50 caliber. I use two Pyrodex pellets, (100 grain total) and 245 grain Powerbelt bullets. My scope is a Leopold Vari I in 2-7 power. It shoots better than I am able to.:wink:

3. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    I've been hunting with blackpowder for 39 years now and I've owned a few muzzle loaders and shot a lot more but like my old CVA 45.cal round ball Kentucky rifle.Loaded with a tight patched round ball on top of 90 gr.3f black powder I have hit a squirrel in the head at 50 yds.

4. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I shoot a T/C Hawkins flintlock in 50 cal. PA regs wont let us use a scope in flintlock season so I shoot open sights. I use a Leupold on my 30'06 for rifle season.

5. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    I shoot a CVA magpro 50 with pellets 245 grain power belt and a Hawkins 50 Cal round ball and power but most of my hunting is done with the 1858 Bison special 44 cal 6 six shot revolver round ball with a 12 inch barrel.

6. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    TC Black Diamond. 100 grains triple f pyrodex. 240 grain Mag Express XTP sabot bullet. 3x9x40 Charles Daley.

I also have a TC Hawken that I shoot the same bullet, 85 grains of same powder, open sights. Sweet shootin gun!

7. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    i have 2 cva's. one 50 cal and one 54. i use pyrodex pellets in both. since i have not been to colorado in a few years i started using a 4x scope. i am looking at some tc's but have not bought one yet.

8. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    i use a T/C omega realtree.... 50 caliber.... 120gr. pellets.... L-N-L speed sabots....

i got a nikon shotgun scope on there now.....

dad shoots a
    T/C ENCORE 50 CAL. 150Gr. pellets.... L-N-L Speed sabot.....
    Leupold Vx-2

Jeff

9. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I no someone here can help, I never owned a blackpowder rifle and now I want one, so I am torn between an Encore and a Optima Elite, the reson is I like the feel of the Optima better than the Encore but, the Encore has more selection of barrels. I already have an contender with 29 barrels so maybe I should just try to find a black powder barrel for that. Opinions???

10. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I use a traditons pursuit pro break open muzzle loader. camo synthetic stock, nickel barrel. I shoot 777 50/50 powder and barnes bullets. It's mounted with a leupold VX II scope and it's a sweet shooting gun.

11. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Lyle ,I think you just answered your own question.

12. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    I hunt with a .50 cva hunterbolt magnum, not quite the cheapest one but close. It said it could take up to 150 grains. I started hunting with 3 50 grain pyrodex pellets but it wasnt making me happy. I switched to 125 grains loose pyrodex powder and its much better. I believe I shoot 245 grain sabots but I usually just buy whats on sale.

13. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    ive had a custom made one for a long time. .54 caliber full stock with a green mountain barrel and siler percussion lock. german silver and brass inlays and some engraving. i use 110 grains ffg blackpowder with a round ball and use greased pillow tick for a good tight fit. ive done alot u huntin with that gun but my son uses it now as my walkin aint as good as it use to be but im there come sight in time and to oversee cleanin it:smile2:

14. Jesse168

Jesse168 Member

State:
    Memphis, Tennessee
    As 223 stated I also believe you have come close to answering your own question. I haven't seen a muzzleloader barrel for the Contender but do know they make a good set up for the Encore. Seems you really got into the Contender optional barrels. Going to the Encore would also let you expand to larger calibers not available to the Contender. You must have come across some really good deals to afford 29 barrels for the Contender. So far I have 6 barrels and yes there are a couple of others I wouldn't mind having but haven't found them at a resonable price.

You may consider doing what a lot of people are doing now. They are upgrading to Encore and selling or trading the Contender stuff to finance their upgrade.

Jesse

15. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    During the rut I shoot a Ruger 77/50 with 100 grs. loose Pyrodex under a 245 grain Power Belt. The rest of the time I shoot a hand made Hawken .50 cal with a Browning barrel, with 70 grains of Black Powder and a round ball, and a Traditions Trapper .50 long barrel pistol with a "set trigger".

16. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Jessie i have 2 actions 1 set up for handgunning and 1 for riffle shooting, and I have been shooting a Contender for a long time. I'm omly afraid that if I go with the Encore I will pull the same stunt and end up with a bunch of barrels to leave the kids some day. I guess I have plenty of time to think about it, but thanks for the input guys.

17. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    Lyle what ever gun you buy Please learn to load it right and try to be as safe with it as you can.Loading a blackpowder gut is a lot like handloading but you're not setting at a bench you have to do it in the field for every shot.I try to tell anyone just starting to shoot that muzzle loader a lot to get used to loading and it helps to have a gun thats fun to shoot.For years I would shoot 5-6 pounds of powder a year,it's no harder to clean a gun that's been shot 25 times than it is to clean one after one shot.Because of all that shooting I have never had anyone out shoot me with a muzzle loader.You will have a good time and it will make you a better shot.

18. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    I have two TC Hawkins, a 45 and a 50 cal that I had bought when they first came out. Must have been in the 70's and they still do the trick for what little I shoot them. I get the urge to update to one of the new ones ever so oftem but WHY?? These two will do all the hunting that I need to do. I did have one flintlock that burned the hair off my head every time I fired it so it has been gone for many years.
    Bill

19. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Bill, I switched to an in-line when they changed the black powder season to come in at peak rut. My Hawken does great out to about 75-100 yards but the Ruger is good out to 200 yards or more. I'd hate to miss the buck of a lifetime because he was 125 yards away!

20. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    I shoot a t/c black diamond .45XR I have a Simmons 3-10 44 mag scope on it. I'm gonna sell it this year and buy an omega. I just don't get the kind of accuracy out of the gun that I'd like. I may buy a new barrel for it, if one comes across ebay cheap enough. If not, I'll just replace it with a new gun. I shot the Precision Rifle (i think that's the name) sabots in it last year, and I'll never use them again. Here's why:

I shot a buck with it last year right in the boiler room from 100 yards. Never recovered him, and I looked for 2 days. No blood, nothing. I had a buddy behind me on a hill spotting for me when I shot, and he said the buck acted like he was going down the whole time he could see him. We never found a drop of blood and we never found the deer either. We really didn't expect a tracking job, we figured he'd be dead just out of sight. Bummer. No deer and no blood trail is what I call bullet failure. The gun was on, and I am confident in my shot but I lost the deer. That really stinks.