Member Reputation Points

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Catfish_Commando, Aug 18, 2006.

WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT MEMBER REPUTATION POINTS

1. Reputation Points are a valuable member feedback tool

2. Reputation Points cause internal membership issues

3. I don’t care either way

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    I have had a few conversations with different members about the use of reputation points.

They are a great way to receive active feedback from fellow members about messages you post within the community, on the flipside, they on occasion do cause issues within the membership.

Here is your chance to make your vote.​

Do you Like them, or Hate them?

VOTE NOW!​

2. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I think that it is a two way street, a double edged sword(so to speek). They are only a problem when folks let them go to their heads.

3. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    They are a good tool but on the other hand I think it is wrong that a great behaving member can be doomed buy someone who just thinks different. Any time a man has power to hurt someone it should have safeguards. It should not be allowed for a person to give you a bad rep. because of the color of your hair, or because you have no hair, well you know what I mean.

4. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I agree that bad feedback is a bad thing and only give good rep when applicable. ( so its good or not at all) I also think the board rules should not allow anyone to sollicit Rep points and start fresh every 6 months or so so that everyone has a strong point and even starting point. This will always allow the stronger ( rep wise) members to always still be high on the list but sometimes folks are not active anymore and now have a gazilion rep points, so what good is that?? This gives those who have a strong several months to quickly earn points but after the next reset date, they then fall in line with there number of quality posts. Does that make sense?

Just my .02, now will everyone give me lots of rep points for my wonderful idea....:wink: :wink: ( see my point, exactly!!!!) Better ban me or pull the post..

Salmonid

5. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I agree with Fishman and Salmonid:big_smile:

6. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I do like rep points, but I agree that they go to some peoples heads and that some people would post threads for the sole puropse of getting rep.

7. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Reputation Points are a good thing!!! I also think that you shoulden't be able to use them to give a bad rep.just because you disagree with there point of view. I belive that if a situation should arise between yourself and another member you should wait till you see them at the national gathering and when there not looking you should super glue there door locks on there vehicle shut! LOL J.D.Straka :big_smile:

8. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    My thoughts are I think they go to peoples heads. Also people post things to make you feel sorry for them or look at me I need rep points, and have nothing at all to do with anything. They can be good at times. I say just get rid of them, along with post counts or have them reset every year. Because when tracking posts, people are posting useless things just to get numbers up.

9. rodpod

rodpod New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    I like the rep point system. If people are going to get big-headed about them, they dont need to be here. It rewards people for making good posts, and punishes people for making stupid ones.

I guess some people could see it as a game, especially new members who want to catch up to the elder members. Maybe thats why this is being brought up? Or is it because someone got some negative rep and started to whine?

10. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    When the new site started, it was really something to get rep points, cause it took me over 3 months to reach 100 reps. The reason for it was everyone had low rep power in the begining.
    Now when someone comes on here and makes a post or two, they will generally recieve over 300 in a weeks time, because alot of folks have large rep power numbers. The system has been trivialized in my oppinion, to the point of, just plain silly now.

11. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Don't care for nor will I use negative rep. I can see at times that I will give rep to someone for a post that I enjoyed or made me laugh or think and I won't make the very same positive comment on the open board for all to see. That can be one drawback to the system. Also ya have a bit more freedom with your vocabulary when ya are gonna rep someone. LOL! I like that. LOL! It has proven very recently what destruction it can cause. My vote would be to keep it. If ya are usein it for its intended purpose it can do more good than harm. Don't tell me that when ya get rep and a good comment on somethin ya said that it don't make ya feel good for a bit.LOL!

12. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    It doesn't really matter what we think because the fact is the post counts are very important as is the rep points. The more people with rep points the better it looks for the business person looking at websites to advertise with. The same with post counts, What better way for paul to explain to a business how many people daily would see their advertising.

Let's not just think of ourselfs Paul makes us happy and in return he must be allowed to use our data to sell the BOC.

We all know how great of a job Paul does to keep our board a great place but there is much more to this business than most members think. I am not a staff member but I can asure you this is correct. These numbers we complain about or care about are really much more than just numbers for us to use.

13. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Big George took the words right outta my mouth.

14. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    They won't make any difference in the way I post. I don't believe in the negative reps.
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    Yesterday today was tomorrow yet tomorrow today will be yesterday.

15. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

16. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    I know that for myself, there is nothing like getting on here and finding that I have had rep points given to me. Since I have not been posting much lately, I have not been getting rep points.

I personally would like to see the negative rep points taken out of the mix. The only value they have is to irritate someone. Getting NO rep points should be enough to know where you are with the brotherhood and how valuable your posts are. Getting positive reps are the pat on the back we all need now and then and shows appreciation for your posts, your efforts or the fish you caught last weekend.

I say keep the rep point system going, but lose the negative ones if possible.
    If not, then just leave it in place.

I have given a few negative reps... well deserved I might add....
    and received a few myself (totally unfounded and uncalled for of course!)

17. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas
    I think the positive rep points is a good thing myself, and see no reason to even have the negative rep points at all.

If you have posted a good post that's informative, and are trying to share your knowledge about something, you will receive good reps.

I know that when I see someone has given me a rep, I look forward to their reply to my thread. It sure puts a smile on my face when a Brother gives me a ( way to go Brother, or well said my friend, and maybe a good job thanks for sharing.)

None of us here are going to agree with everything that is posted on the Boc. That's OK though, we can agree, to disagree, and still be Brothers, and Family.

I don't like to see some Folks posting multiple posts just to get rep points. It's just that some of those posts are what I would call (useless) posts. I realize that we all have the right to post whatever we want to, PROVIDING it doesn't go against the rules and bylaws of the Boc.

Personally I really enjoy reading a post that I can learn something from. After all, the love of Catfishing is what brought us here, and has kept us here. I am proud to call the Boc home, and consider everyone here Family...

18. BamaCats Lady

BamaCats Lady New Member

State:
    Luverne, Alabama
    I agree with Big George & Jeb. I don't use the negative rep points. I think positive feedback in the positive rep points are a good way of letting fellow members know you appreciate something they posted. I feel that if you can't say something nice, then don't say nothin at all. If there is a post that I disagree with I just move on. If it is really falst info, I will pm the person who posted & correct them as nicely as I can, but I would NEVER negative rep them. I think that's just mean. I wouldn't want it done to me.
    Lisa

19. bigredsbbq

bigredsbbq New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I don't care anyway. aint got much anyway, rep points or gold coins have nothing to do with why I come to this site all day everyday

20. mangus

mangus New Member

State:
    n.c.
    i am fairly new and i dont think i fully understand the rep thing. wish i could make i make comment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.