Member Recognition

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by s_man, Nov 18, 2009.

1. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I want to tell you all about how the BOC is supposed to work. I have a friend named Tom, we fished a few times last year and I taught him some of the things he needed to know to kick-start his river flatheading learning curve, and he taught me some things about lake fishing for channels that opened my eyes. After getting to know me over several trips on the river he gave me the name of the guy that helped him learn the ways of channels on the lake. He said this guy loved Flathead fishing even more than I did, and I should call him up lol.

Well I did, and I have not regreted it since. The first time I met Ben he was fishing, lol. We talked on the phone about Flatheads a few times after that and I understood right away why Tom introduced us. He thinks like I do. He want's to know the "why" behind catching larger size flats. Not just the where. We have had many talks on the river this year about everything Flathead related. I mean from rods&reels, hooks, sinkers, and line. To baits and seasonal movements. We have talked about it all, twice or three times.

I have learned a great deal from this man in a short period of time. He has been fishing longer than I have been alive, lol. I've been sitting there listening and absorbing like a sponge all year. And I just wanted to express my thanks to him for expanding my knowledge, and giving me a sounding board for my ideas.

Thank you Mr. Ben Noll.

P.S. Sometimes out on the river you have to nudge him and say "Ben, Shhh, the flatheads are coming" lol.

2. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    great post brother

we need more "Ben"s on here..

3. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Sounds like recognition well deserved. Spreading and sharing the knowledge to cultivate better educated fishermen make for a better sport and fishery.

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Skip thanks for sharing a great story. Yes, that is the way it should work.

5. Ben Noll

Ben Noll New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Now Sman-How can you tell if a flathead is coming-he might be going.Thanks for your kind words.I'm just being me.Life is to short not to enjoy it.I laugh everyday-even when the wife is bitching about 2 cent stuff. I do want to hit the big Ohio next year.In the meantime,We'll see if we can't cross the fifty pound mark here on the Muskingum.

6. smokey869

smokey869 New Member

State:
    frederickt
    great post skip, what the boc and brotherhood should be all about, i just wish there were a lot more people in the world that think that way, untill then we will just have to put up with our brothers here

7. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Skip, you talk on the river?? WHAT??? I cant believe that:wink::smile2::roll_eyes:

8. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Good post... Reps out!

BB in SC

9. tomh

tomh New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks for the kind word Skip and glad you and Ben got together. I've yet to fish with Ben but talked to him several times in '07 and '08 on Dillon and since then on the phone. He has a lot of knowledge about 'outdoor stuff' and is williing to share. Hope to fish with him next year sometime.

I owe my start in drift fishing 3 or 4 years ago to two peiple: Jim Jasper of Zanesville who has has known and fished with Ben for years and I was lucky to know and fish with and ask questions of the late Tony Spergin, a real master.

Tomh

10. GrandpaGoneFishing

GrandpaGoneFishing New Member

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    That says it all.

11. Angler4life

Angler4life New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    That's great to hear. That's what it's all about. Thanks for sharing!

12. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Great post Skip!! People sharing knowledge is what the sport of fishing is all about. Reps to ya my friend!!!:wink:

13. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio

Thanks Tom, I swear that Benny knows just enough about everything to make him dangerous, lol.

14. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio

Slow down Jeff, let's not get hasty.

15. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    Great post Skip! Perfect example of what the BOC is here for. To bring friends together who have something in common to share and help each other!! pretty darn neat!

16. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 Well-Known Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    Thanks for shareing that story bro.

17. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I remember when first joining the site when Skips helped me out fishing a new river.

What comes around goes around, buddy!

You will always be the da Man in my book!:cool2:

18. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I hear ya bro! Sman is my Ben Noll!LOL!