Member Profiles - why the secrecy?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Cattledogz, Sep 13, 2006.

1. Cattledogz

Cattledogz New Member

State:
    NC
    I am curious why 2 simple pieces of info are being left off of some member's profiles.

When we all registered our profile asked, in fact required, a first name, and asked for state of residence, yet many seem to have chosen to disregard that fact by either supplying a first name and then removing it, or just ignoring the requirement altogether.

Why all the secrecy? Is it really asking too much to state a first name and the state you are from?

Its really nice to welcome new members and nice to see where they are from instead of having to ask.

Please check your profile and if you do not have your first name and state of residence listed please consider doing so.

If you don't know how to add them go to the FAQs link at the top of the board and click on it.

2. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I agree all members should at least have thier State and first name, I understand that some people are very catious about the internet, and I respect that...BUT, there is absolutely no excuse for no name or state.

3. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Very Good Question. IMO soom people really like there honey holes or something. However I was wondering the same thing the other day Thanks for bringing it back up maybe we can get someone to explain.

4. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    good point from the both of you, thanks for pointing things out.

5. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    One reason that some members don't have the state and name listed is they joined before it was made a requirement. But they should put it up, and also an avatar!

6. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    agreed . thats the first thing i did way back when i was on the old site

7. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    One of the reasons this site is so well liked, is because there are rules that make it what it is. It's not too much to ask for and should be enforced.
    Donating for a star is NOT a requirement, but with all the info on here about catfishing, how could anyone not think they are getting a bargain. Remember, this place cost big $$ to operate and if anyone thinks a $10 donation once a year is too much for what you get in return,,,,,,,,,,,,

8. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Barb, on the old board, Uncle Scifi would turn people down for membership if they didn't have the required info stated in the rules.

9. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I've always wondered that myself. A name and state ain't too much to ask for.

10. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Plus, you need that info to enter the give-a-ways and contest right?

11. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    I'll agree it would be nice to at least know the name of the person you are reading/answering apost from.Ihave seen several fairly new members that have done that.and wondered how they got by with it when I know when I joined it said required name and state. Thanks for asking.GOD BLESS and STAY SAFE!!

12. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    some may think im rude , but i tend not help those who fail to be freindly , this said no name no location , no help sorry

13. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    When I read info about where fish are hitting or water temp or something I can use to improve my fishing I look to see what state he/she is in to see if I can use that info. A 1st name would be nice also.
    Bill

14. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Barb, I agree with you on those two items and I like to see more info in their profile, like City, Age, Occupation, Interests, Largest catfish... and for sure an Avatar with a Star on the side! :wink:

I put everything in my profile that's allowed.
    :eek:oooh:

15. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    There are predators out there that make their living on what they get off the internet, more than you realize ,I see them every day . It is easier than you think to find out everything about a person , I have had inmates know what I drive which can lead them to where I live quickly . It took me a long time to decide whether to put up an avatar and info on this site and I debate every day whether to remove it all , especially when I star getting the death threats , and threats of retaliation towards my family at work. This in my opinion should be a choice , not because of our internal family , but the people who don't have the values shown by B.O.C. brothers and sisters .
    Brian

16. fishinpals

fishinpals New Member

State:
    Virginia, Illinois
    Wonder if anyone is using a false name, state and picture.

17. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I am not in Law enforcement but folks facts are facts. Unfortuantly there are predators out there and they will do anything they can if they are interested in you. If you choose to put up personal info great but if it frightens you,then one should not feel like it will create a stir or hard feelings if they elect not to do so. Some of us are more cautious than others and to me thats perfectly ok,just my opinion------------pk powell:smile2:

18. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Whats your name again PK and where are ya from? LOL! Yep! Gonna get alot to go on from that!

19. just cats

just cats New Member

State:
    Leslie Missouri
    I too would like to see the names and states of everyone in the profiles, I'd even like to see the towns or at least the counties that people are from. Maybe I'm just nosey, just like to know something about who I am talking to sometimes. But I guess in this world we live in today I can understand why some would hesitate to give out much information. It's sad that things have gotten that way.

20. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I understand your position. My father was in law enforcement as well as two brothers and 3 sisters and they all have the same concern, family safety.