MEMBER BUY AND SELL AREA - WHAT IS YOUR OPINION ON THIS? CHIME IN!

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Catfish_Commando, Oct 29, 2009.

1. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    The member buy and sell area,"Link Below"..

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=541

Has turned out to be a very popular addition for us.

It has helped many make a little $$$ during the rough times, and others snap up on some great deals.

Whats cooler...

Its a hands off area that is free for everyone.

Question: Does it need changing or modifying, and if so, what would you do?

2. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    I have looked thru it and I enjoy it like a wish book but I got to wonder if all the people selling are loyal members or just come in for the free ad space cause a lot do not show a whole lot of posts just wondering:cool2:

3. beespringer

beespringer New Member

State:
    sunfish, k
    I have bought Items off it and have listed on it as well.I really like the way it is set up and would reccomend keeping it the same unless some one can come up with an Idea on improving it.:big_smile:

4. Catfish_Commando

State:
    Georgia
    The "Evil Goal"is that by offering a great service for all at no cost, hopefully it will create a pathway for people to come off some $ and support the site.

I havent tracked to see if this is the case.

But I do agree, a possible control measure should be instituted in the future on at least a minimum post count.

From memory, I believe we had only 2 cases of fraud this year with the service, both as I recall, from 1 post wonders.

5. SouthGADan

SouthGADan New Member

State:
    Lyons, GA
    I think minimal post count would be a good idea; maybe even minimum thanked posts or mojo to ensure they didn't just bump their post number up to rip off someone. I feel that posting by people with one post should definitely not be allowed.

I know there are legal concerns (I read the rules :big_smile:), but if there's any way at all you could allow knives to be sold, that would be awesome. But then again, that could be bad, as I'd probably spend a lot of money here then. If it's a risk, I wouldn't want ya to do it though; just wishful thinking I guess.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2009
  6. whiteriver

whiteriver New Member

State:
    in
    I think it is great for the quick, it is like a yard sale, "the early bird gets the worm" and "late sleepers get to whine" LOL I agree that you should have a min. post count to post, or be a star member, either one would be an option also. I think that a person should show support for the BOC to make use of such a generous forum. I have bought and sold on ebay for years and this forum is much much cheaper for buyers and sellers. I would hate to see it removed though I have not used it yet, I sleep too late, and just not quick enough to be on an item early.

7. TennesseeJugger

TennesseeJugger New Member

State:
    Watertown, Tenn
    BOC brothers need to post pictures of what they have for sell. Some do really well with this but others are often asked for pictures.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2009
  8. Catfish_Commando

State:
    Georgia
    Good input, keep it coming! :wink:

9. restorerancientiron

restorerancientiron New Member

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    I do like it for sure and I have snagged a couple of reels off of it already.Minimum post count or star membership would decrease the chance of fraud I would think.Like whiteriver ,I also buy and sell on ebay and I like this option better.As far as pics are concerned It would be great but I do realize that some people may not be as computer savy as others.I am happy with the way it is set up now but any of the ideas listed so far would be ok with me.Keep up the great work.:big_smile:

10. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Believe it or not, there are wonna-be catfish sites out there that love to disrupt the daily operation of our great site, I think a star member requirement would stop most of the disruption.

11. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I agree and maybe a min. post count.

12. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    I'd like to add avitar to the list.

13. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    All these ideas are great but would have to ask.. what part of the membership most use the classifieds???

If we require some of the above mentioned limitations will we cut out the biggest part of the membership that have been using this application of the forum???

I agree that some changes need to be done but we need to be careful as to what is done to ensure that we do not cut out the membership that most widely and honestly use the classifieds.

14. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I have not posted any thing on it but I have notified some of items on it that are what they are looking for. I have even helped sell a boat off it not long ago and was tickled to help both parties.
    If any changes need to be done I would have to implement a post limitation on it and let the member establish him or her self as a member first.. If it has been a Star member program only I would have been out of the loop as of the last 2 years. I will be a star member this coming year because this year has been a blessing to me and my wife.
    You do as you see fit to help the site to excel because I will still be here to help all I can and still enjoy the site.

15. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Forget all that stuff "unka" buy us that sea ark pro-cat for 39 big ones:eek:oooh::wink::currently listed in the buy & sell threads...tounge_out: You da man with the $$$$...You could come down to arkansas & take all the Boc members riding around & fishing in just 1 trip!!!:eek:oooh::smile2::big_smile:

16. Catfish_Commando

State:
    Georgia
    I wish... :smile2:

I am a G3 man right now.

Been trying to get Sea Ark to play ball with the Unka, but just no love :crazy:

17. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Just a few thoughts.....

Must have a valid avatar and profile
    Must have been a member at least 45 days
    Must have met a minimum post count requirement
    Must show a picture of item/s
    Must give an asking price
    Must give a brief but accurate description with make/model, age and condition

I don't think a star should be a requirement as some folks are selling their stuff to try and survive these tough times. Hopefully, when times are better, they will remember the BOC did them a good turn and buy a star.

Maybe there could be a page with the "For Sale" form that can only be accessed by those who are eligible and has those boxes that have to be filled out or you cannot continue.

...W

18. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    I think these just might make for a more membership only type forum which would probley keep it on the up and up it would be nice for all that sold and profited by their ad on the BOC would donate a little but not manditory

19. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I enjoy the site, I go to it quit often, my only concern would be the post from people who have not posted very much and are trying to sell or buy something. The people I chat with, swap posts with every day, I would not have a problem buy or selling them anything.

In the mean time, if you are buying something I would highly suggest looking at the Mojo, posts, and the time the person has been on site, I am not saying that a new member is out to scam ya, but I have dealt with craigslist and have been burned on e-bay.

20. cheapNdisgusting

cheapNdisgusting Well-Known Member Supporting Member Supporting Member

State:
    Zalma Mo.
    Name:
    Russ
    I read buy/sell all the time. I have bought things twice and had no problems. I reported a post that was obviously a business and it was removed quite quickly. (one post wonder).

I like it the way it is set up now, if we could just get people to follow the posting rules.

My biggest complaint is not with the B.O.C. but with fellow members that try to sell something without posting enough info on the item for sale. Price is #1, and pictures are #2.

Star members - I've got stars and it is my way of supporting this site which is supposed to be free for all, and that is what makes it as successful as it is. A person with 6 stars is no better a catfisherman than someone with 0 stars. I want to read what both have to say and because I am in a place in life that I am able to do this (stars) should not eliminate those that can't from any of the forums.

Now, to do a 180 deg. turn. I do believe that the sponser give away section should be for star members only. Hows that for hipocrasy (however it is spelled)