Melvin Price

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by TN Greg, Jul 25, 2007.

1. TN Greg

TN Greg Member

State:
    MO
    Going to put in at Melvin Price and fish from there to the confluence Thursday and Friday nights. If any BOCers are out there and you see a 17.5foot lund, give me a holler.

2. Bluerider

Bluerider New Member

State:
    Bethalto, IL
    I'll be launching below the dam Friday night around 9:00 pm

Took my little brother out last Friday and he caught his 1st trophy Blue.
    Almost had to break his arm to get him to release it after the pic was taken.

See attached pics

Attached Files:

3. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I'm meeting my dad over there Friday morning and going to fish it Friday and Saturday. First time on the Mississippi. I'll be in a 20' brown Lowe jon.

4. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    nice fish, what kind of bait did he chase?

5. Bluerider

Bluerider New Member

State:
    Bethalto, IL

If you're launching below the dam, watch your prop on launch.
    The water was down last week and very shallow at the ramp.
    Try to stay just to the left as you are exiting the launch area and into the current.

Just down river from the ramp at the inlet of Maple Island on the Missouri side you will find all the shad and bighead you'll need.

Cross over to the Illinois side for Herring.......Powerplant.

Skipjack....let me know if you find any.

Just past the inlet of Maple Island on the Missouri side is a series of dykes that you'll wanna watch out for and maybe fish.

Good luck

6. Bluerider

Bluerider New Member

State:
    Bethalto, IL
    Willie, that fish and a pair of 20#s were taken that night on BIGHEAD.

I've been experimenting with them for the last 2 months

Fished side by side with shad and herring they have never produced any worse and have often out produced both.

I'm still a huge fan of skipjack, but that nasty fish that is infesting our waters does have one redeeming quality.....Blues are feeding on them.

7. TN Greg

TN Greg Member

State:
    MO
    Got out last night and had a tank full of bait by 6:30 - even caught a few skippies on the sabaki rig in front of the big yellow cylinder. Anchored at several of the holes just below the lock from 32 to 48 feet. Managed a drum, and two hook ups that didn't make into the boat in 4 hours -- stinkin' circle hooks.....I'm beginning to lose my confidence in them. One fish seemed fairly nice, but who knows. Not much else to speak of except a few taps here and there. I'm going to hit it from the confluence and below tonight. I've got to change it up.

For those who are catching now -- at night, do you go real shallow or do you stick to the fairly deep stuff.

8. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Greg these posts are showing up out of order, something is really messed up today.

Just wanted to let you know I have pretty good luck with the circle hooks. If you have fish just pecking around they won't do you much good though but they are great for those big pull-downs. You still won't hook up every time but most of the time you will.

My son switched back to a regular hook because he can't stand not catching the bait stealers, nibblers and peckers. He misses a lot of them, catches some dinks, drum, and occassional gar. Sometimes he gets hold of some nice ones but they are hitting pretty hard and the circle would have gotten them anyway.

I like the GamaKatsu (sp?) 8/0 circles.

Will prob hit Mel Price tomorrow daytime with my brother Piperat. Boat name on Transom is CAT SASS, 20 ft SeaArk, Olive Drab, 90hp Yamaha. Holler at us if you see us.

Good Luck, the BIG ONES are there.