Melvin Price

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by TN Greg, May 26, 2007.

1. TN Greg

TN Greg Member

State:
    MO
    I got out around 2:30. Bait in the boat by 3:00 and first fish by 3:30. It was about 15 pounds. Caught it in 37 feet of water below the dam. Of course, by this time I was fired up. It ate a 7 inch gizzard shad with the tail chopped off. Little did we know this would be the last fish boated over the next 11 hours. Through the remainder of the day we had several more hits, but had no more hook ups. I assume the fish were too small to get the bait down??? We fished several locations between the dam and the confluence in water from 5 feet to 40 feet. Stuck it out to until about 2:30am and called it day.

2. cpalombo

cpalombo New Member

State:
    Nashville TN
    Now, that is called being a man. Lots of light weights would have thrown in the towel. You guys kept at it.

You got only one fish, but you can be proud of a solid day's try. I applaud that.

You can fish with me any time.

CP

3. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Greg, we must have just missed each other....

I had the exact same experience, we landed one fish, a 15 pounder that was in about 11 foot of water, you're absolutely right, they were biting but they just wouldn't take it and run. The 15 pounder that we caught didn't even run with it, he was just kind of playin with it and I was able to just set the hook. It was that way all night, just little nibbles

4. catstalker459

catstalker459 New Member

State:
    state line city, indiana
    i agree within an hour of no bites most are ready to hang it up. u can fish with me as well u never know what might happen if u give up early they might jst start hittin

5. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Chris how did you do? Did you make it out there? You know you're supposed to give a report! :tounge_out::tounge_out::tounge_out:

6. cpalombo

cpalombo New Member

State:
    Nashville TN
    I just did River Rat. I was working on my schtick probably at the same time you were asking for the report.

Note on that report - the part about the prop is no lie. I am sad to say that I bolted on my spare new one 2 hours ago.

Thanks for asking!

CP

7. cpalombo

cpalombo New Member

State:
    Nashville TN

Same darn thing where BajaCoop and I were at. Fish were light biting. Now pounce and runs. Just chewing.

CP

8. TN Greg

TN Greg Member

State:
    MO
    Different day, same story. We had bait in the water by 7:30 this morning. Fished the dam, in front and behind several dikes, and anything else I could find between the dam and the canal. Didn't sit on a spot longer than 20 minutes..... had one bite.

My crew is starting to grow weary. We even downsized the baits on one of our poles in hopes of catching even a small cat. Didn't matter. Learning these blue cats has proven to be more difficult than anticipated. Are there guys out there that are on them most of the time --- or are these creatures just extremely volatile and you have to be out there when they are eating. I honestly don't know what to expect being that I've only caught a few.

On a brighter note, we did manage to snag a couple of Asian's behind a dike for the heck of it. That proved entertaining for a bit.

9. OlDrum

OlDrum New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks for the update!
    I plan on being there wednesday morning. Maybe they'll pick up before then?
    :0a23:

10. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Thanks for the update Greg. Is the river level still dropping? The water level dropped tremendously in the last week. I am assuming that has something to do with the very slow / weak bites out there.

Don't feel to bad, I just recently caught my first cats of the year and I have been trying since March!

I plan on being out there this Saturday and Sunday nights June 2nd and 3rd, my girlfriend just found out about my plans and is giving me the stink eye, oh well! Fishing is a very important aspect of life, I can't give that up!:big_smile::big_smile::big_smile: Anyway, I'll be there Sat and Sun. so if anybody wants to meet up just write!