Melvern or Pomona

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by StiffPole, Feb 12, 2009.

1. StiffPole

StiffPole New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    For the past several years I have been fishing the kansas river every weekend, from early spring till late fall. I regularly catch 20-40 pounders, but still after that 80 or 90. I have been fishing below Lawrence, which is just over an hour trip from my house. I live in between pomona and melvern. I might hit the dragoon a night or two during the week, and actually went on out on pomona a couple of times. The biggest I have caught there was between 20 and 30. I know there are big fish there, are much closer to my house, and less time traveling means more time fishing, right? So I was thinking maybe this year spending more time on one of two. I figured I would probably be better off concentrating on one, and really learning it. I have never really fished reservoirs, always rivers. Which one have you guys had the best luck at, or heard the most about? Not necessarily the most, but the biggest? My fish are all catch, photo, release, not looking for a meal (not yet anyway) but damn it man, I want to hook a 80+ pound fish. Which lake is oldest? Hey guys, thanks in advance for any insight, hopefully this is going to be the year, and if not, I bet I have a blast trying. Good luck guys.

2. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Pomona is the oldest of the two.And there are some big flats in there.But Melvern has some big ones as well.There was a 70+ caught there last yr and released.

I dont know which one i would choose.

Being you live between them both i would learn both of them you will pull some big fish out them both.Try the rivers above them in May-June you just might meet your goal.

3. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    If it was me, I would focus on Melvern. Actually that is what I do a lot other than fishing the Dragroon. I have seen heard and caught better fish out of it. I know of several 80's hat were taken from it in the last 2 years and they are still out in the lake well kinda. They are in the water of melvern I will oput it that way. Do not get me wrong Pomona is a great lake and it has had its far share of big ones but I feel as it gets more pressure for the big fish and the ones are not returned back in the water.

4. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Just thought of one thing you did not talk about in your post. Are you fishing from a boat or from the bank? That will make a lot of difference.

5. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    I agree...Everyone should fish Melvern..And leave Pomona just for me:wink::smile2:

6. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    Welcome to the BOC George. You should come to Melvern the first weekend in June and join are Kansas mega gathering and learn more about the lake with all of us. We are all going to be at Turkey point. This might help you acheive your dream of landing the big one and get to share it with a bunch of catfishing brothers and sisters. If you don't have a boat there will be enough of them there I'm sure some of us can clear a place for you to go out and join us. Good luck this year and hope you meet you goal of catching the big one.

Chris

7. billyum2

billyum2 New Member

State:
    Topeka,ks
    Welcome to the BOC .

I agree with Dan

I have heard of and seen bigger fish from melvern Vs. Pomona I lived near Pomona for 10 yrs.

A couple decades ago I had a relative that tout-lined 60 Lb.+ cats regularly from Melvern . I'd say Melvern is your best bet.

8. tn_5568

tn_5568 New Member

State:
    kansas
    i don't know about 80 lbs but i have seen several 50 lb flatties and up caught behind the pamona spillway. not quite as big as your after but i have seen those fish just caught in the last couple of years so i am sure there is bigger ones. it is a really good spot if you can get there right when they shut the water down.

9. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    And I thought Perry was your lake, Tom?

10. StiffPole

StiffPole New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    I have an old 14' flatbottom with a 18 hp motor that I run on the river. In the past at the lakes, I would usually just fish from the bank. I think this year I will try the boat/lake combo. I bet my old motor won't complain about the lack of sand in its diet at the lake either.
    Hey guys, thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I'll tell you what, right about now I wouldn't mind being out on any of the spots mentioned, that is if it was a little warmer. It won't be long now. A few weeks ago I did put on Mud Creek. It had been warm for a few days and it was mostly thawed, but about half way to the Kansas there was a stretch that was still pretty solid. It took us a minute to get past it. Then there we are anchored off on the Kansas watching to make sure none of the larger icebergs smacked into us. If anyone saw us, they were probably laughing, calling us crazy...maybe we are. :crazy:

11. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan

I like to fish all these lakes right around here.:wink:All with-in 40 min of the house.Perry is just the closet to me.

12. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    what it boils down to is ole' Tom's so good at finding the fish doesn't matter where he goes he's still gonna catch 'em.Now some of us knuckleheads have to go where the hot bite is 'cuz we read a depthfinder like it's in Russian.Once in a while I get lucky or I cheat and chum them in.

13. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Eric most of the fish I catch is small.I just dont fish for BIG fish.

But chumming aint cheating its just a part of the tackle.:wink:

And I have seen reports of your fishing.I think you do pretty good yourself.

14. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    I will admit I'm not patient enough to wait out the big ones.I catch a lot of 3-10 lb. channels. I only go during the day most of the time cuz I get up at odark thirty.I didn't get a digital cam till August.

15. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Maybe so Eric, That fish in your avatar is still bigger then any I have caught.:crazy::embarassed::wink:

16. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    If you don't have sonar capacity, you use chum and a marker float. Either
    way, you know where they are after a fashion. Just a matter of which one
    steps up first, the big one or the medium sized eater. For me its always
    been the medium sized eater, so far.

17. kmcalester

kmcalester New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Some good info here guy.

18. mandingo

mandingo Member

State:
    kansas
    George,i will have to say Pomona is your best choice of the two.for the past 10 years or so i know a group of guys that go every year and hand fish several over 60 and the biggest pic i have seen was a 76#er taken in 18 inches of water.
    i have always been amazed on the numbers of 40+# fish that they grab in one night.Pomona is where i caught my first big flat that went 42.
    i remember a few years ago,in-fisherman had a list of the top 10 most overlooked lakes for giant flathead and pomona was one of them.
    as far as Melvern goes,that 74 that Catdaddy caught last year is the only big one that i know of.i have heard alot of big fish being caught on the Marias de Cynge that comes out of Melvern further down south.
    also,there are alot of people that will fish all of their lives and never catch a fish over 80, so never give up on it.you'll most likely catch one when you're not even expecting it:wink:

19. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    There is a lot of truth to that statement.

20. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    There really is.
    Thats why I tell people who want to catch big fish to go fishin.:smile2: You never know when that big one is gonna bite.
    I hope Im there.:cool2::smile2: