Melvern Lake

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by Catfish Fever, Aug 20, 2009.

1. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Is there any one visits here that lives real close to Melver? My reason for asking is: There is a bait store just before the entrance to the Turkey Point camp ground. The guy has an old jeep out back that I might like to buy, I forgot to look and see if it was a stick shift or not, which is what I want, so I could tow it behind the motorhome with out disconnecting the drive shaft like I do on the jeep I have now(auto).
    Haven't been able to get a phone number for the place, forgot the name. If some one lives close enough to make a trip there that wouldn't inconvenience them, to either get me a phone number to the place, or just find out if it's a stick shift or not. This would save me a trip from Junction City there and back. Thanks for any help.

2. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2009

3. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Thanks Kyle, I appreciate that very much. I'll give'em a call, hopefully the vehicle is what I'm looking for.

4. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Kyle that was a great read thanks for posting it! :big_smile:

5. Catfish Shawn

Catfish Shawn New Member

State:
    Carbondale, Kansas
    LMK if you get ahold of him. If not then I can run down and get you all of the info for it.

6. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Shawn, thanks for the offer, the number Kyle posted worked fine. I talked with the guy at the bait store. Turns out what I was wanting is a highly sought after vehicle, 1968 Jeep Commando, only made for a couple of years. He raised the price since I talked with him last, From 500 to 750, glad it was an auto tranny, so I didn't want it, otherwise I probably would have.
    I looked them up on ebay, these are some really high dollar cars. There was a convertible model, completely restored, about a dozen folks bidding on it, it was at just under $7000, reserve not met:eek:oooh:. They had some pretty rough ones for $800 to 900+. I'll just keep looking for something else I reckon:smile2:.
    I have a postal jeep in pretty good shape, needs a paint job, but it's auto, so I have to crawl under and disconnect the drive shaft in order to tow it, gettin a little to old and stiff for that stuff:smile2:

7. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    That jeep doesn't have a transfer case Jim?

8. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    Jay alot of those were 2wd. I don't know about Jims but I know a couple old timers from southwest KS that cut the tops off and use the on there farms, and theres were 2wd.

9. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Jay, unfortunately no, like Chris said, it's a two wheel drive.:sad2:. I'll find something eventually. When I bought this one, never thought much about dragging it behind the Cathouse. I can manage for awhile yet:smile2:

10. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    Jim, if your just towing short distances, (like around the lake) you can just let it idle in neutral while you tow it.
    Some trannys can be towed just by starting the engine, putting it in drive, then shutting it off. I don't know if your is one of them, but it might be worth checking into.
    There is also this option Driveline coupler.

11. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Thanks Ray, already checked out those folks, either system would cost more than what I paid for the jeep:eek:oooh::smile2:
    I've already thought about letting it idle in neutral while towing, but if the engine ever quit, goodbye tranny. As for starting, putting it in drive, then turn it off, I'll check that out, doubt this thing will work that way.
    Don't need to tow it around here, just to the gatherings.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2009