Melvern Lake

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Rajun_Cajun, Apr 3, 2006.

1. Rajun_Cajun

Rajun_Cajun New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    well my dad and i went fishing/camping for the weekend down at melvern lake and let me tell you it wasnt the best of camping trips i have been on. but we did manage to catch some fishies. my dad and i both caught a really fat, nice sized bullhead. so i got to skin and gut my first catfish. i wish i could show you the pictures but we used a disposable flash camera lol. but if you are going somewhere were you want to catch big, fat, healthy bullhead i would suggest melvern lake(the smaller camping lake).

2. Phlogus

Phlogus New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I plan on scouting some fishing spots out on Melvern for running trot ines or hanging limb lines. Any suggestions?

3. mapper

mapper New Member

State:
    overland park, kansas
    There is a parking lot on the north end of the dam, down by the water.

A few years ago in the spring, I remember watching 2 guys catch a few 2-4 lb catfish within a short period of time......it was late after noon as I remember.

4. mandingo

mandingo Member

State:
    kansas
    there is really not alot of structure to hang many limb lines on the lake but you might find a few places to run trot lines in the back of a couple coves on the south side of the lake near the west end.there are standing deadfall trees in the back of the coves.you might also look into setting your lines on the river west of the bridge.it gets kinda shallow in places so watch where youre going.good luck:)

5. Phlogus

Phlogus New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Thanks for the suggestions so far. I havn't hit the water yet. I have my lines ready though. I am looking to start fermenting some chum. I will be heading down after work to scout just been to busy so far.

6. stevev

stevev New Member

State:
    kansas
    Hows the fishing been? I'll be out there this weekend for a family reunion, planning on doing a lot of fishing. Friday thru monday. Phlat (my brother ) will be there too, planning on lots of catfishing. Sorry wrong lake I'll be at Clinton.

7. OsageCountyCatman

OsageCountyCatman New Member

State:
    Osage City, KS
    Howdy Y'all!

I haven't posted here in a couple years but I'm back with a vengeance.

Fished Melvern last Sunday, the rain we got Saturday night/Sun morning put a dmaper on everything but drum. Hell, eveyone I saw was catching them.

Talked to a couple folks over at the marina, crappie had let up and while several guys got their limit of channels over by the cleaning station it was dead Sunday.

for limblines and trotlines you might try the Marais de Cygnes above Melvern. You can practically boat clear up to Reading, plenty of structure to tie a line on and good fishing.