Melvern Lake Dam

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Catfish Shawn, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Catfish Shawn

Catfish Shawn New Member

State:
    Carbondale, Kansas
    I seen today that they are letting water out of Melvern Lake for those that like to go to the spillway. LMK if anyone does any good.

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Get out there and give it a shot Shawn! I don't know anything about your area, but the best fishing report is your own!

3. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    I wish they would hold in the lake.I think the lake is still 2' below pool.

4. Catfish Shawn

Catfish Shawn New Member

State:
    Carbondale, Kansas
    I have asked the parks and wildlife why they do this and I was told that "We prepare for the spring rains by letting the water out before hand". Not sure why they do this but Pomona does the same thing.

5. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    yep lakes that have big creeks or rivers can fill up quick if we get a gullywasher of rain then if the rivers flooded downsteam they have to hold it and if it rains again before they get to dump it they have to dump regardless of flooding downstream or they will have trouble :eek:oooh: ask steve (catfishsafari) truman lake took it, downstream of melvern pamona hillsdale.

6. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    The spring rain is coming, gentlemen. We shall see if the runoff is close to
    two feet this year. I think this spring might prove a bit dry. But, I am
    often wrong on such speculations. No bet.

7. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    well the mdc is now 5feet above flood above melvern. 24' high running 7000cfs:eek:oooh: :crazy:. im gonna say its a safe bet that its gonna fill up and they are gonna let out more water:wink:.

8. Catfish Shawn

Catfish Shawn New Member

State:
    Carbondale, Kansas
    It would be a good time to go right now.

9. millertimemarine

millertimemarine Member

State:
    Lenexa, KS
    Name:
    Wyatt
    Yeah, its a whole bunch of water resource engineers communicating with one another up and down stream to avoid a flood possiblity. Its my dream job that i'm slowly working towards lol.