Melvern Lake Campgrounds

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by GaryF, Jan 18, 2009.

1. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    On Saturday I did a road trip to Melvern Lake, with the idea of getting some pictures and information for our gathering. The poll is still open for our lake selection, if Perry wins out I’ll go there and collect the same info. It just seemed like a good day to take Tiffany and our little dog on a sightseeing trip. One problem, we ran out of daylight, and I didn’t get to visit Eisenhower State Park or the Outlet Park.

Here is a link that will take you to the pictures I took.. http://s258.photobucket.com/albums/hh271/garyf_bucket/Melvern Lake/

I’m not going to try and sell you on one camp area over another, except to say that I personally liked Turkey Point for a full featured camping area, and Sundance as a basic camping area. We could make any of them work, none were bad.

Arrow Rock Park

Arrow Rock is on a small arm about mid way down the south side of the lake. It has 45 reservable campsites, with several cul-de-sacs of campsites near the water. These would be good for RV’s, but the slope makes them lousy places for tents. The cul-de-sacs by the water are 6-10, 11-15, and 16-20. The bank line is variable, but each area had decent access.

The prime sites for tent campers are sites 35-45, which are in a big row next to a gentle rocky bank, with good fishing access and good flat spots for tents. The bank line here is mostly gravel / small rocks with a gentle slope.

None of the sites by the water have electric or water hookups, but there are some nice sites just a little further back that do have hookups.

Coeur d’ Alene Park

Coeur d Alene is up fairly close to the dam, on the south side of the lake. It has 60 reservable campsites.

Sites 14-26 are close to the water, but the bank is steep and rocky in places. It’s fishable, but isn’t quite as nice of a bank line as the other campgrounds. It appears to offer fairly deep water close to the bank. None of the sites next to the water have electrical hookups, but there are plenty of sites with hookups further up from the lake.

Sundance Park

Sundance is at the top end of the lake, furthest from the dam on the south shore.

It has 30 non reservable campsites, 5 of which are close to the water. There is a fairly big area behind these sites with bank access, with the bank line composed of dirt or small gravel, and it appears to be fairly shallow.

This camping area is flat as a pancake, with gravel driveways and good tent areas at every site. There are no hookups. It’s free camping, vault toilets only, no showers, and there are a few drinking water spigots. Showers are available at Turkey Point and Arrow Rock, a 6-8 mile drive.

Turkey Point Park

Turkey Point is about midway up the lake on the north shore. It has 50 reservable campsites. Sites 6-11 are fairly close to water on a small cove, bank line is mostly dirt with a few rocks, and it appears shallow. Sites 12-14 might have better water, but the bank is steep and rocky. Sites 17-18 are close to water with a good bank, and 19-22 are not too bad, just a little further from the water.

There were 3 sites with electricity that were near the water, 6,7, and 8. Other than that you have to camp away from the water to get hookups.

2. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Thanks for the info Gary. As I've stated earlier, we would prefer a hookup site. Are these Corps or State Parks areas? When the vote ends, we'll take a cruise down and check out the campsites, just want to know which park we need to look in, thanks for the info.

3. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Jim, These were all Corps campgrounds. I didn't make it into the Eisenhower State Park.

4. rudepossum

rudepossum Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks for info and pics Gary. Sure going to try and make it up their for the gathering. Probably won't trailer the boat, but would like to come up and visit. Also would like to see what kind of hunting areas you guys have up that way. hint hint.lol. Anyway, when you guys decide what lake ur having it at, I will start making plans to attend. Thx again.

5. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    David hope you can make it to the gathering.Look forward to meeting you.

6. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Great job on the write up and pictures Gary. Thanks.
    They all look pretty nice.
    Personally I would rather camp Sundance but I see how that is likely a big problem for some.
    Turkey Point sounds like the 2nd best option. Atleast its in the middle, and probably wouldnt be that long of a drive to fish the upper reaches.
    The Eisenhower area is nice but if we have any hope of catchin catfish I doubt that is were we need to be.

7. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Yeah, my guess is that Sundance would by far be the best fishing area for early June. But with group there are other factors to consider. Getting there to find a big group already camped out for the week would be bad.

8. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    Which one has a Motel 6? :wink::smile2:

9. KSCats

KSCats New Member

State:
    Neosho Rapids, Kansas
    I agree that Sundance would be the best for fishing. Turkey Point isn't all that far away though. I've not fished there myself but I know the guy that runs the bait shop here fishes there and does well, from the bank.

As far as hotels, there are a few along I35 but I don't know much about them. There are plenty of places in Emporia but it's about a 25 mile drive to Sundance, 30 to Turkey point. My favorite is the Holiday Inn Express but it's $90/night.

10. shotdemducks

shotdemducks New Member

State:
    kansas
    There are hook ups at Melvern.MY uncle camps there often.I'm going to try and make it, Melvern has my vote.

11. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Gary thanks for the report on Melvern camping.

You can get on this web link below and see all the camping sites and what they have to offer.
    At Turkey you can even reserve a area that is privite for you group.

http://www.nwk.usace.army.mil/me/Camp-TurkeyPointPark.cfm

Camping - Turkey Point Park
    Turkey Point is located on the north side of the lake Turkey Point Park has 50 camp pads (18 with water/50 amp electric hookups, 16 with water/30 amp electric hookups). Turkey Point has a boat ramp, picnic area, the Waterfront Day Use Area, and the Turkey Point Group camp Area. The Group camp can be reserved for $40.00 per night. The area includes a privy, a shelter, a water hydrant, several large gravel pads, and is isolated from the rest of the park, so your group can have its fun and not bother or be bothered by other visitors.

12. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    That Group Camp sounds great. Thats what we need.:wink:

13. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    The group site is further from the water, that's the only bad thing. But maybe we could do the group for whoever wants it, and whoever wants a waterfront site can do that? Were all gonna hang out in Jim's site for the free beer anyway :smile2:

Tom, thanks for finding that info!

14. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    Yeah, Id rather be by the water. That way I can fish, bs, drink a few beers, and eat all at the same time.:wink:
    Kill 4 birds with one stone.:cool2:
    Jim, you better get a good site.:smile2:

15. Bullfoot

Bullfoot New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Sounds like Jim needs a big cooler too!

16. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Gary, thanks for the pics, all of them look very appealing for camping. As for the hookup sites being aways from the other sites wouldn't be a problem as I'll probably drag the "Catmobile" down behind "The Cathouse". We still plan on taking a recon cruise down there when it's "FINAL", I'll visit all those parks and take note of a site that we like, so no matter where, we'll be able to choose. Thanks again for the pics.

17. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Tom, does the "group site" have electric hookups? And I'm with Kyle about being near to the water for bank fishing.
    AND"The Cathouse"
    AIN'T GOT NO FREE BEER SIGN ON IT EITHER!!!!!:wink::smile2: I sue hope Gary shows up, I GOTTA come up with something SPECIAL for him:eek:oooh::roll_eyes::smile2:.

18. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Jim I dont know if there are hook-up's in this area.

But it is a ways from the water.

19. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    It looks like there is no electric. This link also classifies the group area as a shoreline site.... http://www.recreation.gov/camping/T...?contractCode=NRSO&siteId=124532&parkId=73453

I didn't go over to the group site to see it, but the road seemed to go away from the lake. Now I've seen one map (park brochure) that shows it not being close to the water, and another (recreation.gov) that shows it right by a small inlet. I'm not sure which one to believe. I guess we need to take a look at it before we write it off.

20. Phoneman53

Phoneman53 New Member

State:
    Olivet, Kansas,
    I was told about BOC by Kansas Tree Rat so signed up and have been just kind-a-lurking and watchin the post. I live on the south side of Melvern 1 mile from Arrow Rock BR..I am quite familiar with the camp grounds,,Turkey point has some good catfish water around it. The primitive sites are along the water with a good long cast you can be in 12 to 14 feet of water and with a south wind cats come in pretty close. The electrical sites are up on the hill, they did that because of high water at times. The group areas are quite a jaunt up the hill and no water or electric. If any of you want me to scope this out for you a little closer let me know, only about 10 minute drive around to that side of the lake for me, or about 3 min by boat.

If you decide to come to Turkey Point in June,,,reserve your sites in the next 30-45 days,,,,,they fill up fast in the spring. the web site I use is www.reserveusa.com.

Hope to meet some of you guys if you come here for the outing.

See ya
    Bill