Melvern Blue Catfish

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by channelin, May 13, 2009.

1. channelin

channelin New Member

State:
    Baldwin City Kansas
    I have never fished Melvern before and was thinking about taking the boat out after work tomorow and trying to fish for some blues..Didnt know if anybody could point me in the right direction out there. Also some guys told me when they drift for blues they use a slip weight set up with a bobber six inches from the hook to get the bait up off the bottom...Is this a good setup...

2. goingfishin

goingfishin New Member

State:
    Topeka, Ka
    Thats the set up I use when drifting. I also ajust my bobber and leader to see what is working better.

3. Tuttlecat

Tuttlecat Active Member

State:
    Wamego, Kansas,
    Works for me also, a 3 way with a 1/2oz. sinker below a big gob of beef blood or fresh shad with a 2" Chartruese bobber a foot in front of it.

4. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Don't use a float. I do adjust the length of my hook line on a three way depending on how fast I'm drifting. Fast drift, longer hook line, slow drift, short hook line and longer sinker line.

5. channelin

channelin New Member

State:
    Baldwin City Kansas
    Fished melvern saturday and today chasing blues, didnt have any luck on blues caught a few channel cats. Im just hoping to finally catch my first blue one of these days but there proving to be a little harder to catch than I thought:big_smile:

6. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    Come to the gathering at melvern in 2 weeks. Someone their will help you out.

7. mandingo

mandingo Member

State:
    kansas
    Josh,where were you fishing at Melvern today? we were on the west end and managed to catch a few blues.the past 3 weeks or so has been tough fishing there.not sure whether its the lake rising and dropping so much or what????.but like Casey said,come on out June 5-7 and we'll get you on some.

8. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    Got a report from 2 F&Game officers today. They said they were biting on the far west end drifting shad. This was at 6pm tonight. But That was all they said, they didn't say anything about channels or flats.

Later,
    Chris

9. channelin

channelin New Member

State:
    Baldwin City Kansas
    Caleb we were on the west end also most of the morning drifting the flats and channels out there, 11ft to 18ft of water, Drift speed about .7mph to 1mph. Had fresh shad from that morning my buddy had a decent fish on but came off the hook half way to the boat so...I guess thats the place to be for them so I might try going shallower this week to see if I get any different results.

10. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    I wasn't at Melvern, but I got most of my fish in 9 1/2 foot of water this weekend. Maybe they will be around the same depth at Melvern also. Might be worth a try. Every fish was caught on some sort of structure also. Even drifting flats, they were caught on slight humps or drop offs.

11. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Just got off the phone with my nephew who was camping at Melvern over the weekend.He had a lot of people camping with him and he started cattin on Friday.He said he pulled over 150 channels in over three days of fishing. He was going out morning and evening.Nothing bigger than 9lbs most running between 2-4 lbs.
    Also caught the #*@% out of some big crappie..

All were released until Mon then he brought 20 home.

I will let everyone know where he was at when we are there at the gathering if anyone is wanting to catch some eaters..:big_smile:

He said the lake dropped about 1' in three days.He was camped at Arrow Rock which is on the south side.

12. goingfishin

goingfishin New Member

State:
    Topeka, Ka

Ok first off you need to slow way down!!!! When I drift if Im going faster than 1mph I feel Im going to fast. The past few weeks I have had a ton of good ones get off. They are very soft at the bite right now so watch your pole very careful. Also how much weight are you fishing with? Are you the guy that asked me about the blues at the Pomona tournament? Get with me Saturday morning and I will show you my rig and give you some more tips.

13. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    CJ he said .7 MPH..When I first read it I thought it was 7mph also..

14. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    7mph... that would not be drifting, that would be trolling for marlin :smile2:

15. goingfishin

goingfishin New Member

State:
    Topeka, Ka
    lol!!! I feel like a ************************!!!:eek:oooh:

16. Tuttlecat

Tuttlecat Active Member

State:
    Wamego, Kansas,
    On the rocks Tom?

Sounds like a good report if the weather will hold out!!

17. Riley498

Riley498 New Member

State:
    Kansas - Parsons
    Cant wait till the gathering, Everyone be sure to bring me no roll sinkers :D !!!!

18. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Hey Jordan, you should get an avatar of yourself so we will recognize you at the gathering.:wink::smile2:
    Besides, you might get in trouble with that one.:eek:oooh::crazy:

19. Riley498

Riley498 New Member

State:
    Kansas - Parsons
    Oh sorry, Ill get a new avatar.

20. mandingo

mandingo Member

State:
    kansas
    were there 3 of you in the boat?we were in the black and tan deep v.if that was you, then you were in the right neck of the woods but they're playing hard to find.right when you think you're in the wrong spot.........WHAM!!! :crazy: