Melton Hill Dam Friday 1/22/2010

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by festus, Jan 22, 2010.

1. festus

festus New Member

I met WattsBarCatfisher and wife at the dam shortly after daylight. We tried throwing big jigs and swimbaits for stripers, nothing happening there. We talked to two of the better striper fishermen who hang out there and they said nothing much had been going on for a few days. After an hour or two we gave that up and bottom fished for whatever would hit using 3" to 4" shad, large tuffie minnows, nightcrawlers, and chicken livers. Didn't catch the first catfish but got several bites. I finally got a carp that might have weighed a pound on a nightcrawler. Later, about 10-12 feet from the bank I thought I had snagged a small log. I reeled it in and got a 30" to 32" muskie near the bank, but it wouldn't fight or move, it just stared at me. Thinking it was an unhealthy fish, I just went in after it and bent over to grab it by the gills, it broke water a few inches, took off and snapped my 10 lb. test line. I've always heard muskies will trick you somehow into getting away. It hit a 3" chartreuse grub on a 1/4 oz leadhead I was casting for sauger. This makes two muskies I've lost down there lately, the first was back in November which was much larger and a keeper. Should have gotten the other fish but the hook pulled out at the bank. There were a few boats came by, probably sauger or crappie fishing, but no one else caught anything. One fishermen told us he had caught a muskie while sauger fishing a few days ago about 40 inches long. We tried throwing some big swimbaits, inline spinners, and a homemade muskie plug, no resutls. In about 6 to 8 weeks, things should crank up down there for a wide varitey of species, but it ain't happening now. I broke one rod throwing a homemade makeshift sabiki rig on a cast. It's really a good thing it broke, because I'd sure hate to have lost a fish on it later. So I stopped in Walmart and got a replacement to mount my Mitchell 308 spinning reel. It feels sweet, it's a 7' medium action Ugly Stick Lite Pro graphite.

2. fairweatherfisherman

fairweatherfisherman New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I imagine the water temp is pretty low there right now. Did you happen to get the temp?

3. festus

festus New Member

Welcome to the USCA, Mike.

No, we sure didn't check the water temps. A week ago there were quite a few dead shad minnows, but not today. If it's too cold for the stripers, sauger, and crappie to hit, it is cold. Lots of these fish probably temporarily migrated downstream to some deeper water.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
  4. WattsBarCatfisher

WattsBarCatfisher New Member

State:
    Kingston T
    Yeh we got skunked man... Next time we can try at my house

5. festus

festus New Member

Fished MH Dam Monday morning till 2 pm, didn't see but one fish caught a 4 lb drum. TVA had tested spillways and gnerators a few days earlier. So I fished a private pond a little wile and caught about a 3-1/2 lb largemouth. My girlfriend has a photo, but it's on her camera at work