Melting lead

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by kennylee, Aug 26, 2008.

1. kennylee

kennylee New Member

State:
    Missouri -
    I have a question;

I have 3 old battries on my farm that have been there for who know how long, there are all cracked and bone dry, can I melt these down and get the lead to make sinkers?

I haven't done anything with them because I really don't know what to do with them.

Thanks for your advice up front.

2. Wvawitrado

Wvawitrado New Member

State:
    California, Fresno
    JUST MY OPINION but i think that that has something mixed in there and could possibly be unsafe to use if you lost it in the lake and it releases something...who knows I could be plum full of hot air!

3. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I have never used lead from a battery, but if you are going to use it make sure you do so in a well ventilated area, even though there is no acid in the battery now, there is still some affixed to the lead, and you dont want to breathe it.

I think I would look for other lead to use.

4. kennylee

kennylee New Member

State:
    Missouri -
    Thanks for your response Jorden, thats what I'm wanting to find out.

I know battery lead is a different type of lead and the sulfuric acid has been long gone in these, and I'm thinking melting them down would also remove any sulfuric oxide that might still be left on the plates, but that I don't know.

5. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Battery lead has to much junk mixed with it . Take them to the junk yard and get about 11.00 ea for them and then buy some weight or some lead and make your on sinkers

6. kennylee

kennylee New Member

State:
    Missouri -
    Thanks Catman4926, I agree some things are best left alone, I'm going to shovel them up and give them to the scrap yard and maybe I can buy some lead from him.

P.S. Those are some real nice jugs you posted, thanks for sharing, thats the kind of stuff that keeps me coming in the BOC everyday.

7. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I have used battery lead before and from expereance I can say the only good lead you will get is the terminal post witch do stem into the battery but not very far. melt outside for fumes for a min or two were very strong. looking back for the trouble I went through for the little lead from one battery it was not worth the time.:sad2:

8. PaJay-p

PaJay-p Guest

If you have 3 batteries at 11$'s that will get you allot of lead around here I thinks it goes for like 29 cents a pound around here. Like they said 33$ can buy a lot of sinkers.:wink:

9. Ghosth

Ghosth New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    I have to agree with onthefly.

I did it once, but wasn't really worth the effort.
    So much easier to get plumbers lead or wheel weights.

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Tried that. IMO, it's a LOT more trouble than it's worth. Even less productive of my time than going to the military rifle range and gathering up the spent bullets. Full metal jacket...got to heat them hot enough to melt the lead inside, pick up each one with pliers, pour out the lead, then throw away the metal jacket. That's more trouble than it's worth, too. Now, unjacketed bullets would be a different matter.

11. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Take them batteries to yor local scrap yard and ....much better!

12. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    Well I did it once.
    I built a fire in the driveway and burnt 3 old batteries.
    I then took the ashes and ran them thru a sluice box (you know like they use in gold prospecting). I just used the garden hose. Well I got some lead but I also lost some because it ran onto the driveway rocks.
    All in all I wouldn't do it again.
    have a good one
    just

13. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Wait...there's a $5 core deposit on new batteries, but an old battery is worth $11 as scrap? Really?

That's a lot of Shiner Bock just sittin' out there in the barn!:smile2:

14. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Don't know where the $11.00 price came from, but I just called some salvage places locally, and the only place that would even buy batteries pays $3.00 each.

15. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    Melting down the lead from batteries is a terrible idea for someone to do in your backyard.

I have worked at a lead battery recycling plant and there is a lot of nasty stuff in a battery that needs to be delt with properly. Most of the actual lead in a battery comes from the paste that is on the plates. However it is a lead sulfide which if burned lets off a lot of sulfates, H2S gas(which can kill you) and other nasty stuff.

Best off to just scrap them or take them in for your core.

16. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    One thing I always do is keep a couple of old batteries in some out of the way spot. Often, when a battery is too old and tired to do the job on a car or truck, it will still do a job on a boat. My batteries go from the vehicle to the boat, and the core trade-in is one of the old dead, dead, dead batteries laying around.

17. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    H2S is bad s*** It will put you on your butt and you may never see daylight again. Thanks for the post.