Melting lead?

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by kdm75, Mar 31, 2007.

1. kdm75

kdm75 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    I thought have read some where on this board in the past that some people add wax to the molten lead. If this is true what purpose does it serve?

2. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I add bees wax to the lead when casting bullets and slugs for my shotgun an muzzle loader it seems to make the lead a little easier to work with and a lot more smooth and shiney. There may be a more technical reason but I don't know what it would be. I don't use it when making sinkers.

3. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    You add a little melted wax to melted lead and stir it up real good... It makes all the trash come to the top so you can scoop it off.. That way you have nice clean lead to pour into the molds..

4. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I have been told, that it separates the tin from the lead somewhat!!! This is the reason I use it!!! Other than that it makes a nice flame to watch while you are waiting, LOL!!!

5. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    You're right about that John.I've cast many many thousands of 357.cal bullets from tire weight lead and I always added some wax to the pot then skimed it and I never had any problems casting and had good clean softer lead bullets.