melting lead

Discussion in 'Sinker Making Institute' started by buckmaster27012, Jul 23, 2009.

1. buckmaster27012

buckmaster27012 Member

State:
    Virginia
    Got ahold of three cast iron pots, three diff sizes biggest probably 15 and smallest 10. Looking for best way to use them and melt lead. Was thinking of using propane but if I could find an electric way would be even better. Something like a stove top would be nice, anybody got any suggestions?

2. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    we melted some Sunday on a 1 burner electric hot plate. I usually use my coleman stove. Make sure it's dry and be careful.

3. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    like john said keep water away hot lead and moister dont mix at all
    the cast iron pots are the best in my book thay hold heat and thats what you want you can use a hot plate like John said but i am to impashent for that a colman stove is good to but my fave is a turky fryer thay put out lots of heat and melt lead fast

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    For several years, I used a one burner hotplate; the kind that has a coiled wire element in a ceramic holder. It worked pretty well, but every time I dropped a little lead on the coil, it burned it in two. Then I'd have to turn it off, let it a little, and jam the two ends together. After a few of those occurances, I'd have to buy a new coil. When I bought a turkey cooker, I found that it worked much better for melting lead than the hotplate...it just gets a lot hotter.

5. buckmaster27012

buckmaster27012 Member

State:
    Virginia
    what wattage is needed on a hot plate to melt lead?