Melting Lead - In My New bank sinker mold

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by JReed, Feb 10, 2006.

1. JReed

JReed New Member

State:
    Lima, Ohio
    I finally got a chance to fire the lead pot up today. I just got 2 5 gallon buckets full of tire weights and my new bank sinker mold. I'm gonna make me up some 1, 2, and 3oz no rolls and a bunch of 2, 3, 4, and 5oz bank sinkers. It's about 15 degrees outside but I can't take the cabin fever anymore.
    Wish me luck. ;) :rolleyes:

2. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    When my daughter and I were racing go karts I melted some down in my kitchen in my wifes cast iron pan. WOW you talk about getting yelled at. LOL
    I'll never ever do that again.
    Bill

3. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    It was highly discourage not to put the dirty wheel weights into the pot. I was told that the pouring spot will/can get stopped on the pot. You may not have a pot with the spout under the bottom. I do and I could see how it would get stopped. The link below show my pre-melting of the wheel weights. I made 240 of those ingots for 5-gallon bucket of wheel weights.

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showpost.php?p=108296&postcount=25

4. JReed

JReed New Member

State:
    Lima, Ohio
    I don't melt them down in my pot. I melt them on my propane cooker in a aluminum pot. Very easy to clean of the top doing it this way. When I get it clean then I pour it in the ingot. By the time it goes in the pot it is nice and clean. ;)

5. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I used the fish fryer also but I think I may get me a hot plate because I went thru a full tank of propane. That stuff can get expensive.

6. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    How much did you pay for your weights? mine cost me $25.00 a 5-gal bucket.

7. JReed

JReed New Member

State:
    Lima, Ohio
    Mine were free. My brother works at a tire shop. :cool:

8. stickthrower

stickthrower New Member

State:
    Possum Kingdom Lk, TX

Been there & done that! Did you notice the fact that girlfriends loose their sense of humor when the become wives like I did?:rolleyes:

Frank

9. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    FREE,FREE,FREE..........don't pay for tire weights just keep lookin till you find one thats gonna give them to Ya.

If You have an auto dealer That you deal with talk to them. I drive a ford truck thats still under warranty and get My oil changed at the dealer. every time i get the oil changed now they give Me thier tire weights.

10. etipriga

etipriga New Member

State:
    TX
    You guys better make sure that when meltin lead you need to be in a WELL venelated area(outside). This stuff is very dangerous so you definatly dont want to be breathin in fumes, very cancerous!!!! Also your supposed to was hands and clothes as quick as possible after messin with it.(try using the same clothes when melting)

Ive melted alot of weights but just gotta make sure to be as safe as possible with that stuff. I would hate to go to the doctor one day and end up finding out that i got cancer from meltin fishin weights. So you guys just make sure your being careful!!!

11. Catcatcher26726

Catcatcher26726 New Member

State:
    wv
    Go to your local Walmart and ask them for wheel weights. More often than not they'll be happy to see them leave.

12. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks for that idea Topsgt! I have been racking my mind of what to use to make ingots without buying an ingot mold. You saved my day.:p

As far as melting the wheel weights in the pot, I melt them in mine. I started out with good lead, but now just melt them as I go.. I just scoop out the metal pieces. The spout will sometimes get a little plugged, but my pot has a notch in the top of the rod that I turn side to side to clear the clog. I will also stick the end of a paperclip into the spout to help clear it out. I have never has any problems with the pot.

13. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    I wish, I asked and got a chuckle "nope sorry".

14. nosnag

nosnag New Member

State:
    Florida
    Last time I got my lead it was at a telephone companys auction.I bought pure sheet lead.A little over 300# for $15.00.Traded off 1/2 of it to some black powder hunters for 2# mine for 3# of their wheel weight melt down ingots.Gave me 225# weight lead and still had 150# soft lead. I wo'nt need lead again unless I get over 100 years old. Pays to barter.
    I cast my bullets and reusable split shot with the pure lead and use the other lead for weights and jigs.I have most of it all poured already.Passed many a snow bound days up north doing it.You can bet that when I moved down here I lugged it with me.

BILL

15. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    That's a deal I need to come across. I would love to have some soft lead to make split shots with.

16. GrainDrain

GrainDrain New Member

State:
    Texas
    I went to two different places today and got about 200# of tire weights. They had no problem giving them to me. One guy asked what i was going to do with them, I told him for fishing waits and just started laughing when i asked for all he had, i had to clue it was that much. He thought i was going to wait someones pockets down and see if they could swim(those were his words).

17. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Bill, I'm with you, I have enough to last me. Probably still have over couple hundred lbs in 1 lb bars. Several years ago when I melted it I bought a mold that cast 4, 1 lb bars at a time. I use mine mostly for tempered bullets but also cast sinkers.

Attached Files:

18. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I really like the muffin pan Idea, I get wheel weights from the place where my son works and they just throw them away

19. etipriga

etipriga New Member

State:
    TX
    when i melt donwn my tire weights i got a big thick pot that i put over the fire. I start the fire, then get the air compressor and blow on the coals so it gets real hot. I get some of that stuff u make perch traps with and put it underneath the weights and put em in the pot. once the lead melts alll them little clips foat up and u just pick up the wire. Leave the loquid lead in the pot and add more weights, helps them melt quicker.

If ur gonna try and make alot of ingots at one time this really speeds things up. You could prolly buil a bracket to hold the pot up with a hinge on top. Then weld something on the bottom of the pot so you can tilt it and pour your ingots like that, or just get a scoop.

20. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    My brother had a guy make him a mold for poring duck decoy weights, makes it double effective