Melones Res bank fishing Help!

Discussion in 'CALIFORNIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by ZZ170, Jan 5, 2006.

1. ZZ170

ZZ170 New Member

State:
    Columbia,CA
    NEED SUGGESTION FOR BANK FISHING HERE,NEAR TUTTLE TOWN,HAVE GOTTEN A FEW 2-3 POUNDERS WITH CHICHEN LIVERS,BUT THERE FEW AND FAR BETWEEN,ANY IDEAS? :confused:

2. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Welcome to the BOC ZZ!! Someone will be along to help you out soon. You'll find that if you don't use the caps that people will respond a lot better. Caps makes it "look" as though you're yelling, though I'm sure you're not. Thanks and don't worry, you'll probably get lot's of good info here soon.

3. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Welcome to the B.O.C. ZZ! It's always nice to have another Calif member. I have not fished Melones for quite awhile. I am sure there are other members who have and will be glad to share information with you! When the bite is on, I may head that way myself!

4. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno
    I'll start fishing there in the spring maybe even sooner since my Dad now has a cabin up above sonora, i'll look around and see what i can gather up info wise.

5. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno
    New Melones camping reservations: (877) 444-6777 or www.reserveusa.com- You must ask for the campsite you want to stay at, instead of New Melones Lake (for instance, ask for Glory Hole Recreation Area, Tuttletown Recreation Area, Big Oak or Ironhorse).
    New Melones Lake Fishing Report

January 2, 2006

Don't forget to purchase a 2006 fishing license before going fishing!!

Water Conditions: New Melones Lake is currently holding 2,030,915 acre-feet of water, and is at 84% capacity. The lake is full and beautiful. The recent storms have dumped lots of water into the lake, and the lake level has risen about three feet this week, and is now at 1,055 ft. above sea level and only 33 ft. from full capacity. Surface water temperatures are approximately 54 degrees. Water is fairly clear.

Ramp update: All ramps are open.

Gate closure: shorter winter hours! Gates at New Melones Lake will open at 4 a.m. and close at 9 p.m.. Some day use and campsite areas will be periodically closed throughout the winter for maintenance.

Trout: The heavy rains kept most anglers home this weekend. Nevertheless, we have seen some beautiful fish caught by those few who braved the weather. Rainbows are big, red, and hook-jawed, weighting 3-to-5 pound on average. Trout can be seen swirling and chasing shad all over the lake, especially in major coves. Trollers and bank anglers are having success, but bank anglers are more likely to find a limit. Most anglers are catching 1-3 quality fish. This has been by far the best fishing we have seen in years. Trout are moving to the surface, and most trollers are catching fish in the top 15-20 feet of water. It is important when trout are near the surface to have plenty of line out while trolling (your lure should be 100 ft. behind your boat). Your boat chop will spook the fish from the water’s surface, and you want to give them time to come back up and see your lure. Most successful trollers are targeting the mouths of major creek arms and coves or upriver between the two bridges. With all of the recent rains, trout are feeding on worms that wash into the lake. This means that it is time to tie on a crawler or crawler/spinner combo. Shad-patterned lures continue to produce many excellent fish. Try a broken-back or Countdown Rapala, a Cop Car or threadfin shad Needlefish, or an Excel lure. Most trollers are not using dodgers or flashers. Lucky trollers this week include Howard Thielbar, who trolled a shad-patterned Excel lure 20’ deep by the dam to catch a 4.3-pounder, Sandra Viss, who caught 10 nice rainbows up to 3.5-pounds on a shad-pattern Excel trolled 10’ deep between the two bridges. Richard Brazil trolled a firetiger Needlefish on the surface and caught a few rainbows, as well as a beautiful 6-pound brown trout, that he took a picture of and then safely released. Some bank anglers are throwing spoons and others are using rainbow or chartreuse Power Bait or nightcrawler/marshmallow combinations. The Tuttletown and Glory Hole boat ramps, and Angels Cove are best spots. Most anglers report catching fish very close to shore. 10-year-old Cal Johnson of Columbia fished from the bank off of Tuttletown with a worm/marshmallow combo to catch a huge 6.5-pound rainbow, as well as a 5.1-pounder. He wins The Glory Hole Sports Big Fish of the Week Contest for trout. Anglers who caught nice bank fish include 13-year-old Crystal and 11-year-old Jessica Fong, who caught 8 nice fish weighing up to 3.6-pounds on Power Bait and eggs, Steve Snoe, who caught a4.3-pounder in Glory Hole Cove on Power Bait, and Ron Broyles, Who fished off Tuttletown to land a3.1-pounder with a crawler/marshmallow combo.

Kokanee: Done for the season, although trollers are picking up a few 8” fish.

Bass: fair for 1-3-pound fish. Many bass that are caught have been full of sculpin (a small, brownish yellowish, blackish bottom-dwelling fish), which means they are feeding off the bottom. Others are full of shad. Fish are holding in 30-40 feet of water. Some anglers report catching shallow fish during overcast or rainy weather. Target the mouths of creek arms and submerged islands, and up into the deeper creek arms. Wind the wind comes up, fish the banks and points that the wind blows into- the fish will move shallow to chase the bait that the wind is blowing into the shore. Drop-shot rigs with shad-patterned or crawdad-colored worms are going to produce the most fish, but bigger fish will be caught with brown jigs or swim baits. Jigging a spoon over submerged islands, 30-40 feet deep, is another good choice for winter bass fishing.

Catfish: slow. Tuttletown, Angels Cove, Glory Hole Point, or under the 49 Stevenot Bridge are all good spots to try for big cats. Use mackerel, anchovies, or sardines, a sliding sinker, leave your bail open, and be sure your hooks are sharp. Night fishing is always best for catfish. Bob Pile of Angels Camp landed a 4-pounder while fishing for trout with Power Bait in Angels Cove. He wins The Glory Hole Sports Big Fish of the Week Contest for catfish.

Crappie and bluegill: Slow. Try fishing live minnows or trying to entice them with jigs in red/white or purple/white. Best spots on the lake are the south side of the lake near Bear Cove, the back of Coyote Creek, Black Bart Cove, and in cuts upriver near the Parrotts Ferry Bridge that have a lot of stand-up trees in them. Target 30-40 ft. depths. As always, fish tight to structure.

6. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno
    We always take a little of everything anchovie, liver, worms, stink baits and set up our rigs with 2 hooks and put different baits on the hooks just remember what you have on each hook ;) you might even try using live minnows.

7. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Nice report! I will have to give it a try this spring!

8. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    at tuttle town shore fishing right by the dock is good but if you go to the right of the ramps when faceing the water right over in there is some good ones but if you take the road down to the lake just off to the right before you cross the lake on 49 park down at the bottom then walk along the bank till your under the bridge cast out as far as you can let it drop use anchovies liver clams big night crawlers getting up to 10 pounds aint uncommen. the wife and i catch 3 to 5 pound trout under the bridge all the time when we are trolling caught a few nice 7 to 9 pound kittys there too. i fish malones a lot. and if you to angels cove its real good. on a boat i can show you lots of nice places for cats too.

9. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Thats what I heard Mutt.... There are some really nice honey holes via boat. Been meaning to fish that lake last year. Some one even talked about a gathering there several yaers ago.

10. Mutt

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    i am hoping that if the weather stays good for a while going to malones in feb and go nail me some trout and kittys i can take a person about 7 miles up the lake and show them some nole cat holes there water aint even to bad for depth around 150 hooked a monster there but broke my line.

11. ZZ170

ZZ170 New Member

State:
    Columbia,CA
    Sorry didn`t mean to yell ! I forget the cap locks sometimes.
    Thanks for the quick response, Glad i found this web site. I live about ten minutes away from tuttletown and i sure want to improve my luck there!

Thanks again !

12. ZZ170

ZZ170 New Member

State:
    Columbia,CA
    Doz anyone have a preference on stink baits ?
    have not tried them in a long time !

13. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    My opinion is Sonny's blood and Danny King Punch bait. These are my favorites.

14. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX

I second that Robb

15. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno
    Both Excellent Baits

16. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    :0a25: to the B.O.C. ZZ170,

The people on the B.O.C. are "Catfishing Best :thumbsup: "

With "information & tips that are second to none"!

Take it easy,
    Bert :cool:

17. Mutt

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    i myself couldnt advise you on a stink bait there because ive never used one there but there is a lot of baits that work good there last fall man they were getting big ones. infact if things go right i will be out there next weekend!!!!! go for some trout and maybe some panfish thinking maybe some kittys too all depends. but trout is on the list first thing. :p

18. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    As far as stink-baits: Check out "Wicked Stickey" by Cattracker. You'll like it. :0a23:
    "G & S" , "Rustys" & "D K" are good baits also.

Take It Easy,
    Bert :cool:

19. ZZ170

ZZ170 New Member

State:
    Columbia,CA
    Thanks for the help guys !! :0a31:

20. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno
    Let us know how you do mutt is the foot doing better bro?

ALONG time ago 10 years ago or better my Moms boyfriend caught some crappie up in new melones and they were 2-3 & a 4 pounders they were big.