Mellon and the mad Tom

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by flathunter, Mar 18, 2008.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I think my buddy Mellon is pulling my leg.

He said many years ago a guy named Tom, grabed ahold of a small catfish and got jabbed, and it really pissed him off...Hence the name "Mad Tom"

2. Mizzbigcat

Mizzbigcat New Member

State:
    Warren County Ohio
    Thanks...I think :tounge_out:

So fill us newbies in, who's Mad Tom?

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I know that this sort of thing has caused me much heartache in the past. I feel for "mad tom".

4. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Does anyone know what a "Mad Tom" is? It's those little bitty baby cafish things that susposedly have a little bit of poison in thie spines. You can fins them in small creeks sometimes. I think they are actually endangered here in Ohio.

5. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    If your talkin bout the lil muckledly colored things that lay on the bottom, we have em in the creeks here in southern missouri.

6. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    There are several different types of Mad-Toms in the waters of Ohio ... usually not more than 3 or 4 inches long .... Garry-

7. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    you guys are scaring me to go seining this spring! rollo

8. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    My books don't say anything about the Tadpole Madtom being poison, but there is a fish (which resembeles the Madtom) that is and that is the Stonecat. This fish average 6 inches in length up to 12 inches. It inhabits the riffles in large creeks or rivers and also found along lake shores where they hide under stones. They look a lot like a bullhead, except longer and thinner. The book says: "Handle with care, for the sharp pectoral spine will inflict a wound causing severe pain, due to a poison." They are usually caught when seining riffles. .... Garry- :eek:oooh:

9. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    we have 'em here in the Mad river, look like baby flatheads. yes they have poison, i know first hand how much it hurts!!:crazy:

10. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I found a picture of a mad tom. I'm sure some of the Ohio guys have seen this one before.

Attached Files:

• cat.gif
      cat.gif
      File size:
      65.3 KB
      Views:
  11. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    :smile2: ... That is good Jeff .... Garry- .....:smile2::eek:oooh::eek:oooh: