Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think my buddy Mellon is pulling my leg.

He said many years ago a guy named Tom, grabed ahold of a small catfish and got jabbed, and it really pissed him off...Hence the name "Mad Tom"

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Does anyone know what a "Mad Tom" is? It's those little bitty baby cafish things that susposedly have a little bit of poison in thie spines. You can fins them in small creeks sometimes. I think they are actually endangered here in Ohio.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
There are several different types of Mad-Toms in the waters of Ohio ... usually not more than 3 or 4 inches long .... Garry-

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
My books don't say anything about the Tadpole Madtom being poison, but there is a fish (which resembeles the Madtom) that is and that is the Stonecat. This fish average 6 inches in length up to 12 inches. It inhabits the riffles in large creeks or rivers and also found along lake shores where they hide under stones. They look a lot like a bullhead, except longer and thinner. The book says: "Handle with care, for the sharp pectoral spine will inflict a wound causing severe pain, due to a poison." They are usually caught when seining riffles. .... Garry- :eek:oooh:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.