Mellon and the Barge

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by flathunter, Jan 14, 2010.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    This story is 100 percent true, Mellon will vouch for this one...It kinda goes along with why I am kinda scared to be on a boat.

Most of my experinces have been bad.

Mellon and myself were anchored On the Ohio river at around 1am, pitch dark! We were almost mid river where we set up.

After we were set up for awhile I could see the lights of a tug boat coming towards us, Mellon said dont worry we have plenty of time to move...As the boat got closer it started blowing it's horn and shining its light on us.

mellon said we got plenty of time...Thats when I realized, and said BRYAN, the boat is in the back of the barge, you know they push them!!!! I think it was the first time on the Ohio river for us, and for some reason we assumed the boat was in front of the barge...By this time I could see the Barge and it was only about 50yds away, we quickly pulled anchor, and then the motor on his boat would not start!!!:at-wits-end:

By the grace of god, we drifted just a little to get out of the way of the barge, it was so close it seemed I could reach out and touch it!!!.

Just another example on why, I have a fear of boats, and the Big rivers.

2. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Sounds like Mellon's what you should fear!

3. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Man ole Mellon is getting beat up these days! LOL.. Most experiences will feel bad until you are comfortable being on a boat for one. Smaller boats will be even worse for some. Then, getting used to being on the water after dark is another issue. But, once you gain confidence in who is running the boat, and get used to the different situations you settle in. Jack, I think you would prefer using a boat more if you would give it a chance. rollo

4. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Lol........Poor old Mellon is taking a beating! I thought you guys were friends?

I think you just need more time out on a boat. I mean of the twenty years I have been a boat owner and captain or my own ship(owned my first one at 15 years old), I have encountered all sorts of problems/senerios. At the end of the day you have to set back and think things through. Then come to the conclusion of; man that was fun, lets do it again or man I f@#$ed that up, I need a better way of doing it. Heck we all know what happened to me last year in Chilli town. Did that stop me? Hell no put the old vessel back together a couple weeks later right back at it!

5. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    That was several years ago, I hear that Mellon has become a much better captain now.

I guess I will find out this year, not really looking forward to it, but I will find out:freaked-out:

6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Yes being on the Big River after dark brought my fear level to almost a panic attack.

I was so glad when I got out of that boat and stepped on solid ground I thought I was gonna cry.

Smaller rivers and daytime, I think I am Ok, Big rivers and DARK, I am scared crapless!

7. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Man, I miss all the fun when I'm at work!

Sadly... this one is almost true!

8. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio

The big river shouldn't be that bad at dark. It is deep and wide. Try screamin down the Scioto or the Muskingum in the the dark dodging logs,boulders, and being on plane to make it thru the shallows! Wanna go for a boat ride Jack?:eek:

9. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I tell ya Luckey Wade made me about S#%t my pants one night. He runs the skinny end of the Muskingum without lights anyways. It was raining and foggy and the bugs were so thick you could barely open your eyes, Randy slowed for a minute to clear his goggles and must have lost thought process. LOL! He went to hammer back down on the throttle and we nailed a big log. Im not talking just hit it and went over it, Im saying the whole boat and motor came out of the water, I looked over at him and he was smiling, all he said was there goes the transducer and hammered back down. I held on alot tighter the rest of the night!LOL!:nailbiting:

10. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The things you are talking about, proper anchoring, safety with barges are things you should fear because they can be extremely dangerous. Those are two of the biggest reasons people die on a river, especially a river like the Ohio. On the other hand if you take the time to learn how to do it right and prepare yourself you can turn that fear of being on a boat in to respect for the river. Make no mistake what we do out there is dangerous and can kill you, the river is the last place to be a tough guy, it is a place that should make any man humble.

11. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    LOL.. Ask Randy about the night of a tournament, he was following my boat back down stream. He seemed to not see the boat anchored up by the bridge. He didnt hit their boat, but his jet sucked all the line off their reels! LMAO! rollo

12. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    True statements. Basically, ignorance kills more people than legitimate accidents.

Bill in SC

13. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Barges are nothing to mess with thats for sure, I have had more close calls than I can count. Just when ya think you are out of there way, they get closer and closer. We almost got ran over last summer and we were only 30 yards off the bank, inside the channel marker bouys. Just remember, the pilots on those things are human to and make mistakes. I never assume I am safely out of there way, you only have to be wrong once! Give them the space they need, your honey hole will still be there after they pass..

14. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    You nailed it, Awesome post Niko Reps to ya!

15. ohio hilljack

ohio hilljack New Member

State:
    ohio
    With barges it is easy to think h=they have plenty of water to get pass. But when they are setting up to go through a bend or coming out of a turn sometimes it seems like they need most of the river. The problem is these are the most likely places for structure to lodge up and deeper holes to form, therefore we as catfishermen on the Big O find ourselves right in their turning lanes way to often.

16. CatFuStyle

CatFuStyle New Member

State:
    Xenia, Ohio
    after reading this, im thinking about buying a submarine and fishing off it LOL much doesnt scare me when on the water but i do respect lakes and rivers and the power they command...

we should start a thread when season kicks in called Here hold my Beer Watch this thread for incidents that happen to us through the fishing season...

Brandon

17. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    that man is gonna get the both of you killed one day! :laugh1:

18. brian88b

brian88b Member

State:
    Fairdale, KY
    You all have a man scared to death to go out in a boat with old mellon LOL First pulling stuck anchors up like the dukes of hazzard and now this :shock::shock::shock: Maybe Mellons just way ahead of us all and we aint seeing it, he's practicing up for the new event ya know a pioneer to the new sport X-TREEM CATTING/FEAR FACTOR LOL:laugh1:

19. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    What wrong with driving/boating like the dukes of hazzard:curse::laugh1:

20. luckey wade

luckey wade New Member

State:
    ohio
    The barges always scares me .an to not beable to start the boat would freek me out glad you guys made it.