Meldahl questions

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by OHFishmanB, Jul 21, 2006.

1. OHFishmanB

OHFishmanB New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I am new to fishing the river, any suggestions on which side of the dam to fish? Is the east side or west side off of route 52 better? Any suggestions would be great.

2. Nightprowler

Nightprowler New Member

State:
    ohio
    Welcome to the BOC.

3. Jammer

Jammer New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Welcome to the BOC! I've been trying to set up a couple days to get to that area of the river, so I'll be watching for the replys myself.

4. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I have only been to the Ky side where the access is good but looks like snag city.. perhaps if you head down along the shore a ways might be a better spot for snags, we go down in the early spring and late fall to hammer White Bass and skippies there with the flyrod. I never been to the Ohio side ( where the locks are)

Salmonid
    PS Welcome brother!

5. Catbird

Catbird New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, Ohio
    The Ohio side after you go around the lock wall (from on the river) is virtually no current or snags. I have seen some bank fishers. From what I can tell, after you turn into the lock area off of Rt. 52, they park to the right in a gravel/dirt area then walk down the hill. I have no idea how steep or hard it is to get down to the bank though. If I can be any more help, let me know.

6. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Dale pretty much covered it. It's an easy walk from the parking lot. You just go through a little woods and down the hill and you're there. The lock closest to the bank is the small auxiliary lock which is usually only used for recreational craft. However right now the main lock is current closed until July 28 so all traffic is using the auxiliary lock. Which means the barges are almost up on the bank. But you can walk down river a little and should not have any problem fishing.