Meet, greet, and shad.

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by WhiskerWayne, Jul 7, 2008.

1. WhiskerWayne

WhiskerWayne New Member

State:
    Yukon Oklahoma
    I have been on the forums for a few days now, and have yet to properly introduce myself.

I lived in Oklahoma City off and on my whole life, fishing small ponds and a couple of lakes as a kid. Then moving out of state on a whirlwind tour of Nashville Tenn, Aurora Colo, Belleville Mich and Humble Texas.

I have been learning the Oklahoma Regulations over the last few days, you fellas and this website have been a godsend to me, thank you.

Now on to shad.

I read the laws about no cast nets, but I see people at Overholser throwing nets all the time.

Since I preach legal fishing, and stand by it, I will not break the law for a few Shad.

So my question is, how do I get live Shad when I am fishing OKC lakes?

2. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Wayne- I do not recall the regs concerning netting shad in the river. You might try the okla river if it is legal.

catman george

3. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Lake Thunderbird, if you can stand the drive.

4. WhiskerWayne

WhiskerWayne New Member

State:
    Yukon Oklahoma

As if gas prices hadn't put a big enough dent in my fishing.

I think my answer will probably be in a creek somewhere close to home. Now I need a seine net..

Thanks guys.

5. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    Welcome to the BOC, Wayne.

I have been known to fish in Hefner and Overholser in the past, and the regs have always forbidden the use of castnets in all "Close To Home Lakes". You may see someone using a net there from time to time, but don't get caught. The fine starts at $195.00

Have fun, but be careful...

6. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Welcome Wayne, and am i reading this right. No cast nets? I use one in grand all the time.:crazy:

7. healthydrink

healthydrink New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    Hey John,
    I had a double take also, however, I think he was referring to close to home lakes. These are smaller lakes ussually in city limits of Tulsa, Ok City or any other small town Lakes. I don't think Grand is considered as a close to home lake.

8. WhiskerWayne

WhiskerWayne New Member

State:
    Yukon Oklahoma

You are correct sir.

We poor saps who live in OKC can't throw cast nets in the lakes or the Oklahoma river.

I have been scouting creeks and the North Canadian river for the last couple of days. I will find some shad before long.

9. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Sam, try El Reno lake. Would have to buy a ER city permit but it's close. Also, there's Arcadia.

As for the cast nets at the OKC lakes, DO NOT get caught with a cast net in your possession.

10. mrwhiskr

mrwhiskr New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Read regulatios on when and where you can cast for shad, I am not aware of very many places that you cannot do this for personel bait.
    Don't trust me check the regs, lol. and as always keep them lines wet.