Medium rod for circle hooks and braid

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by Iowa_Josh, Apr 29, 2006.

1. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    What makes a rod work better with circles? I have one sad, whimpy rod that gets 5x the hookups that a graphite or heavier rod will get with smaller 1-2-5# fish.

I put the rod in a holder and the tip is usually straight up. They need some give to hook up? The stiffer the rod the worse my results. Any similar experiences?

2. tanner

tanner New Member

State:
    Somerset, Kentucky
    i never have my rod pointing at a complete vertical...always have mine at about a 45 degree angle..have never had any problems at all...

3. Chief

Chief New Member

State:
    Indiana
    you want a rod that has a slow action. a rod that will flex almost all the way down the blank. currently i'm using 7' ugly stik catfish rods in MH. i would also consider switching to mono line because of the fact that it will stretch and absorb some of the shock of a fish running and also take some stress of the load on your rod. trilene big game and stren high impact are a good stretchy durable choice. and like tanner said stick that rod up at a 45-60 degree off the water

4. Catmaster

Catmaster New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    I think they need a little of a bend to them so that when they run with the hook they build up tension and then the hook wips back and sets. I always put my 8 and 10' poles at a 45 degree angle. That works great.

:0a26:

5. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    Gentlemen, My miracle rod sure seems to be slow action. I am not sure if it is the way it bends or just how limber it is in general. It is pretty limp for 10-20# line. I have one of the graphite rods set up with mono to see of it will compensate for the "more sensitive" rod.

I point the rods up more because it is easier to bend the rod for the fish as the rod/line angle approaches 90 degrees. It also helps keep the line out of the water and whatever snags are there and maybe a little peace of mind that my rod won't go clattering towards the water because it seems a little more secure. I generally fish from the bank though, it would be unpractical from a boat.

Tanner, thank you for telling me you have no problems. :roll_eyes:

6. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I agree keep your rods at more of an angle. I like to have mine at 30-45 degrees. When it comes to rod action I'm one of the few that say it don't matter. Now braid vs. mono I have no idea. I don't use braid. So maybe because I use mono this has something to do with why I don't think rod action matters.

7. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    A Rod with a stiff tip will hamper your hok ups with circles..I have caught plenty of cats with circles with rod tips as stiff as broom handles, with that being said the ones I use are always with a stiff rod..I prefer a rod with a limber tip, but with plenty of backbone.