Medium/Light duty rod and new reel?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by PTDixieGal, Jun 28, 2008.

1. PTDixieGal

PTDixieGal New Member

State:
    Little Rock, Ar
    My dad keeps telling me that I need to get a 20 lb test line on my reel. The reel is a Zebco 404 with a low gear ratio and a ten pound test line. My rod is a Shakespeare Ugly Stik, Medium/Light duty and they recommend no more than a 10 lb test line. Dad says I should be able to put a reel with a higher gear ratio and twenty pound test line on it with no problem. However, I have read of others who recommend that I stay within the range listed on the rod. Any thoughts?

2. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    At least at my tackle shop you can buy an zebco 808 with 20lb test,thats what my wife uses and she has caught a 46 lb flathead on it. They sell for like 22 bucks but they have a combo there with a 808 and a tech rod for 29 so its cheaper to get the combo. But the 808 should work on your rod and it should handle it. Ugly sticks are hard to beat.:big_smile:

3. PTDixieGal

PTDixieGal New Member

State:
    Little Rock, Ar
    So even if the rod says 10 pounds I should do okay with a 20 pound line?

4. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Yes. I routinely double up on my line, with no problems.

I have no idea how rod manufacturers arrive at that number. My guess is that the line weight relates more to the recommended lure weight than the rod itself.

5. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Hi Melissa! The Shakespeare Ugly Stick in Med. Light will be just fine with the usage of 20# line. You might loose some castability, but will be an advantage of having stronger line in the case of fighting bigger fish!! I would try the Zebco 808. It does have a higher line capacity and should match the rod just fine. Good luck and I hope you catch a big Ol' Cat on it!!:big_smile::big_smile::wink::0a23:

Mark..

6. PTDixieGal

PTDixieGal New Member

State:
    Little Rock, Ar
    Wonder if WM would have it...I know they have the 707 but it's only a 14 pound test line...

7. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    14# test will work great provided the drag on the reel is smooth and set right. Keep a fairly loose drag, not to loose, but will a little slip. having a tight drag with light line is asking for trouble. breakage from a big cat slamming the bait can be the result.

8. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    I dont know about walmart but basspro or cabelas should have it.

9. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

S&H would be the killer, thats the bad part from ordering rods from those places.....Just strip off the 14# test line and put on your 20# test line and you'll have no problems with it, Crab's wife has had no problems whatsoever!!!
    I didn't get to see crab's wife catch the 46lb Flattie but I've seen her tie into some BIG ones, unfortunately they wrapped her up in structure and we tried for about half hour to get it to come loose but it ended up breaking the line. Thats all part of it though.:confused2:
    You should have no problems with the 20# test line on that reel at all. Just make sure to take care of it(the reel) by using the drag right and having it cleaned regularly, IMHO!:wink::big_smile:

10. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    Is there a Cabelas or Bass pro shop nearby where you live? I go online and check out their closeouts and sales alot. Crab (Scott Crabtree) is dead on correct. Zebco 808's are very affordable and extremely durable. Im pretty sure most wally worlds sell them too. And if you can attach it to an Ugly Stik, you got one heck of a combo there. Just be sure to get a good rod holder.:wink:

11. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    "Don't do it"
    "You never want to go over the rod recommendations"- when you could go out & get a Rod & Reel combo that is made to handle the 20lb test line that you want to use.
    The makers puts that on your Rods & Reels for a reason.
    :wink:

12. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I've never had a problem with going over 10-15#'s over, even 20#'s. I'm not disagreeing with you but I've never had a problem in my many years of fishing. I have 17# Spiderwire Mono on a Zebco 33 on a Cheap Durango Wal-mart rod that couldn't be rated for more than 6-10# test line and she's had no problems, and she's caught an 8 Lb Blue on it with no problems. Took a while to get it in, bent the rod double but she tired him out and got him close enough to the bank for me to grab it.:wink:

13. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    :embarassed:
    Maybe I could have been more clear about it (LoL) (Sorry) :embarassed:I'm at work & was kind of short on time when I made that post.

"Of corse it can be done" - Don't get me wrong :crazy: - if you only have 1 rod & reel set-up - I say "Go For It".

But if you have a reel made for say:0a14: 10lb test max. - I would not put 20lb test on it or higher.
    (Because you have a reel for catching "Panfish or Bait")
    :wink:

On a fishing rod you can get away with going over the Max. more, but not on a reel, that a whole different thing.

I'll just make sure that I have a rod & reel set-up made to handel the type of line that I would like to add to it.
    (But again - that's just me) (Lord knows that I could be wrong) & (It won't be the 1st time).
    :wink:LoL

Take It Easy,
    Bert:cool2: & Shania:0010: (Granddaughter)