Medicare pharmacy sign-up

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by cook, Mar 7, 2006.

1. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Went to our local Rx(which we know way too well)and they helped us wade thru all the different plans.Looks like Hummana for us.
    Anyone else needing to sign up needs to get it done by the end of the month.Our pharmacy ran a list of all her medications for the last 2 years to see what plan was best for us,they vary widely depending on what meds you take and which co. you use.

2. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Yup, it's been a mess. Our drugs come mail order, 3 month supply per order. My wife has had problems getting prescriptions from her insurance company since the Medicare Drug plan began. They are way behind in processing orders. She stayed with her insurance plan for it beat Medicare. Some of her drugs increased in price but others decreased... the overall average is lower.

Myself, I stayed with VA drugs, the Medicare plan is not near as good.
    If people choose a plan that's not approved by Medicare they will not be able to switch to Medicare at a latter date without a penalty. Her insurance and VA are approved plans.

3. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Thats good news.
    My wife has no ins. other than medicare.She has a few different perscription card plans that help,and also for some of the big ticket items,the drugs co. have plans if you meet income requirements.ALL of these will be phased out come April 1.

4. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Yes, it's good that my wife still has her insurance. It's from where I worked. I used up all my retirement insurance a year after I retired at age 54. I had heart valve surgery and the bill exceeded the maximum benefit of the plan. After I had heart surgery I returned to excellent health but insurance companies wouldn't touch me with a ten foot pole at any price. I had no insurance until I was 65. At 65 I qualified for Medicare and Blue Cross to cover what Medicare doesn't pay. I use VA for drugs.

Good luck with Medicare.