Medical kits

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by JMarrs328, Feb 12, 2006.

1. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    Does anyone take a medical kit w/ them when they fish? Yesterday i was cutting off a fork shaped stick to use as a rod prop and i cut myself!! I put a pretty nice gash in my left index finger. My friend and I both knew that i had to get it to stop bleeding but we didn't have any medical supplies. I ended up cutting off a piece off the bottom of my T-shirt, rapping that around my finger tightly, and using 40 lb. braid to fasten it. My finger bled for 15-20 mins. When the conservation officer came around to check peoples liscences, he asked to see my finger. He said that i should've gone to the hospital to get stiches, but it was too late now, since he didn't come untill 2 hours later. This kind of scared me, so now I have a medical kit that I will always take fishing in case of an accident!!!!!

2. bigsammy

bigsammy New Member

State:
    Poteau ok
    Good idea bro,I'll be throwin a first aid kit in me boat.It should've been put there a long time ago,just never thought to.Thanks again,hope yer finger's ok:cool:

3. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    Yes a 1st. aid kit is a must have. I use to not carry one and I could have used one a few times. I now take one everytime,in case I or someone else may need it.

I wouldn't buy those pre made kits,they really don't have much in them for the price. You are better off making your own kit.

4. stickthrower

stickthrower New Member

State:
    Possum Kingdom Lk, TX
    I carry a LARGE kit in my truck and a slightly smaller one in the boat. The truck has just about anything I need for just about any ordinary ailment or injury (can even take stitches if necessary). I keep sinus meds, diarreah meds, pain relievers, anti-nausa meds, lots of different size bandaids, etc. I just like to be well prepared for just about anything-saves ruined trips! Besides I usually have kids with me and if a kid can get hurt, they will.

The boat one has stuff for injuries and some pain relievers, mainly to get me back to the truck, etc.
    '
    Definately make up your own! Price is cheaper in long run as most of the pre-made ones have usually a lot of unnecesary junk included.

I also NEVER go without a cellphone!

Just take your time putting one together & think about past trips that went bad due to sickness & injury. By planning ahead you can salvage most trips!

Good luck,
    Frank

5. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Ya know, I was thinking about that while I was doing some prep work on my boat the other day.

Good topic!

I am going to add to my basic first aid kit. The concern is not just for me, but also in case I should happen to run upon an accident while on the water. Lots of things can go wrong, and time is never in your favor when you are out on the water. Just letting EMS know you are hurt is one thing, but getting them to you or getting you to them is another.

I actually feel vulnerable without my cell phone when I am on the water. Not only would it save important minutes in an emergency, but it will also save countless hours should your motor die while out on the water.

I plan to add a two-way marine radio this spring. The lake I fish is patrolled by five different law enforcement agancies, so this means there is a good chance someone will be on the water in the warmer months. Being able to establish radio contact in an emergency would help greatly in guiding emergency workers to an accident scene.

6. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Ya know, I was thinking about that while I was doing some prep work on my boat the other day.

Good topic!

I am going to add to my basic first aid kit. The concern is not just for me, but also in case I should happen to run upon an accident while on the water. Lots of things can go wrong, and time is never in your favor when you are out on the water. Just letting EMS know you are hurt is one thing, but getting them to you or getting you to them is another.

I actually feel vulnerable without my cell phone when I am on the water. Not only would it save important minutes in an emergency, but it will also save countless hours should your motor die while out on the water.

I plan to add a two-way marine radio this spring. The lake I fish is patrolled by five different law enforcement agancies, so this means there is a good chance someone will be on the water in the warmer months. Being able to establish radio contact in an emergency would help greatly in guiding emergency workers to an accident scene.

7. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    yeah i try and carry atleast a basic first aid kit w/ me at all times... bandaids, 4x4 gauze, and some tape if nothing else...

One time i was out putzing around and saw a trout in the shallows... well i wanted to test my survival skills to see if the spear i had read about actually worked... well i got about 2 inches into the "spear" and my knife slipped out slicing into my thumb... first thought was ohok i can just control the bleeding w/ my shirt... then i took another look at it and reliezed it wouldn't stop w/ just a shirt (needless to say i had way too much gear with me including a raft, which was already deflated and in its bag, my fishing gear and pfd from the raft and my fishing rod.... ) i called my mom (had her van since i didn't have my own car at the time) and told her i was gonna pick her up from work and we needed to go to the hospital... i had a small pocket first aid kit w/ me which had 2 bandaids and some really basic and pretty useless stuff for anything more then a papercut. luckily there was a gardener/maintance person at the park w/ his truck right there about 50 feet up off the dam (i was on the dam, its not like a real one it kind of has 4 tiers and is pretty lame) anyway after hopping up the rocks to him i asked if he had a first aid kit... luckily he did and had gauze and some tape in there... i did all the bandaging and went and got my stuff... thanked him on the way out for letting me use the firstaid kit and got my mom... she brought out some paper towels to wrap it up and soak up some blood since it bled through... She drove the rest of the way...

when the triage nurse took the bandages and the toweling off there was a ton of blood... nothing too bad though... the towel actually had a smiley face design in blood on it (ohk i have a sick mind but it really did)... back and saw the doc after a wait that was just a bit too long... nicked the tendon and a blood vessel in my thumb 2 inch long cut... 6 stitches (if my skin wasn't so tough it would have been like 10 or more) later and a simple cast just to keep my thumb from bending and tearing the tendon too much i was good and ready to go... Now i've got a scar and many first aid kits that go with me where ever i go...

What do you guys keep your FAK's in in the boat to keep them from getting wet and/or damaged?

8. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    As long as I am in my Truck, it is an automatic. This said, I have wished that I did have one on occaisions that I didn't. The trips out on the boats are the question. A small package of bandages is a Big positive and I will be adding this to my rucksack. While here in europe, it is the LAW to have them in your car and I will maintain this habit once I return.

HOPPY4

9. Darrell

Darrell New Member

State:
    Illinois
    The Wolfman has it right. I would also recommend attempting secure the army's new first aid kit and adding it to your supply. It has several good items for the extreme emergency.

Darrell

10. elphaba7

elphaba7 New Member

State:
    Mo'town, WV
    Good topic! I keep some bandaids, alcohol wipes, neosporin, antibacterial hand wash and pain reliever in my tackle box, but have a first aid kit in both our car and truck.

11. Cattracker16

Cattracker16 New Member

State:
    Wilton Iowa
    great topic.. i don't have a first aid kit in truck or boat.. guess i'll be going to wallyworld and get some stuff for both truck and boat..

12. steveg442

steveg442 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I have one in my truck and a very basic kit in my tackle box. I saw a hook removal kit at Bass Pro, I thinking of adding it. I keep one of those bee sting pens in my box because the guy I fish with is allergic to bee stings. It's a just incase he forgot his type thing.

13. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i keep a small 8-compartment box in my bag with ibuprofins, diahrhea pills, antacids, sinus pills, waterproof band-aids, surgical tape, and some no-doze. best to carry all that than have a trip ruined by the squirts, bad case of heartburn, etc.

14. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    great post... Unfortunately I don't take anything with me. I am not sure why, I guess I never really figured on getting hurt while fishing:eek: . What with all the hooks flying around and 4 oz weights, steep banks, and knifes etc., I should be fine right ? I guess I better think twice about all this huh? Thanks....

15. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    LMAO @ that!! I have experienced the ol' hershey squirts while attempting to go on a long night of fishing. Needless to say I became one with the woods that night!!

16. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    Some good stuff on this thread. Everybody who hunts/ fish/hikes etc. should have some kind of first aid kit.
    I carry a first aid kit and a snake bite kit in my truck. It may be time for me to change out some stuff. I got a 94 dodge truck, single cab. It has compartments and a good amount of room behind the seats. I keep all kinds of goodies back their. Towels, blanket, rain gear, box of coins, knife, flash light, can food, matches, you name it, it just might be there. I could live several days and maybe do surgery with what I keep in my truck. I know I could do switches Rambo style. LOL.
    And then there's the bed of my truck, under the camper shell.
    I should start a garage sale from my truck. LOL.

17. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I would rather go naked than without my kit. Trust me brothers that would not be a pretty sight. Like a bartlett pear with legs. Also dont buy the cheapest kit on the market. Imagine your life fading away, would you still feel great because you save a few bucks.

You can buy military first aid kits or build your own. Talk to the red cross or your doctor about items to include.

On a personal note, If you have a medical condition that could be life threatening, please tell everyone you are with. I spoke with a Desert storm vet who was a battle hardened medic. He watched a man die from a bee sting and later found out the bee sting kit that would have saved his life was in his lunch pail not 10 yards away. No one knew because he felt it made him look weak. Well you dont get any weaker than dead.

Sermon ended

18. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    i have carried a first aid kit for years have a real nice one in the boat and in the truck. that is one of the first things a person should consider when owning a boat as far as i am concerned. ive had to use a first aid kit a few times on people out on a lake and at a boat ramp.

19. WhiskerfishLou

WhiskerfishLou New Member

State:
    Northeastern Indiana
    Not having a first aid kit is just as foolish as not carrying insurance, not following coast guard regs for your watercraft or not following plain common sense, when it comes to personal safety or the safety of others. You don't need to pack like a paramedic, but consider some basic possible emergencies that could arise. Hook removal, cuts, punctures, scrapes, insect/snake bites, broken bones. Bring what would clean a wound, cover it, stabilize a body member, stop/slow bleeding, reduce swelling or allergic reactions. A small basic first aid manual would round out the kit. If you use lanterns for lights at night in your boat, a small fire extinguisher would go a long way in preventing a major loss or tragedy. Just a little bit of expense and preparation could save a life, including yours. As what was mentioned before, buying the cheapest or making up the smallest isn't the best way to go. When I take anyone with me in a boat or on the bank, I make it a specific point of asking if they have any medical condition I need to be aware of. Some may think all this stuff is being paranoid, but I'd rather know what possibilities I may have to confront than discover the hard way, not knowing how to deal with an unknown situation. I also inform my fishing partners of mine. As many of us can atest to, anything and everything can happen when you least expect it, so why not be somewhat prepared? Just my 3 & a half cents worth. All the best.

20. topjimmy

topjimmy New Member

State:
    AZ
    I always carry a first aid kit with my recovery equipment. Tow strap, tool kit, compressor, duct tape, jumper cables, first aid kit.