Medical advice

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by ka_c4_boom, Oct 29, 2006.

1. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    for several days now iv had a high pitch ring in my head , i thought at first it was in my ears but when i plug them up i still hear it . do you think i should worry about it or will it just go away its agrevating , a constent f-sharp whistle my head is killing me tylenol dont seem to help any thoughts or advice appreciated

2. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Allergies will do that to ya. Loratadine 10mg. tabs once a day.(Claritin) The Eqate generic from Wally World is a good generic. Also dental problems will cause that. Ex-Navy Corpsman's 2 cents. Hope ya feel better.

3. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Tinnitus (ti-NIGHT-us or TIN-i-tus[1]) is the perception of sound in the absence of a corresponding external sound. It can be perceived in one or both ears or in the head. Tinnitus is the Latin word for "ringing"[2], and usually it is described as a ringing noise, but some describe it as a buzzing, humming, or whistling sound, tunes, or songs. [3]. It has also been described as a "whooshing" sounds, as of wind or waves [4].
    Tinnitus is not itself a disease, but an unwelcome symptom resulting from a range of underlying causes, including ear infections, foreign objects or wax in the ear, and injury from loud noises, as may have been experienced by war veterans (bombardments, shelling, etc.).
    The sound perceived may range from a quiet background noise to a signal loud enough to drown out all outside sounds. The term 'tinnitus' usually refers to more severe cases. A 1953 study (Heller and Bergman) of 80 tinnitus-free university students placed in a soundproofed room found that 93% reported hearing a buzzing, pulsing or whistling sound. However, it must not be assumed that this condition is normal -- cohort studies have demonstrated that damage to hearing from unnatural levels of noise exposure is very widespread in industrialized countries.[5] (see noise health effects)
    Because tinnitus is often defined as a subjective phenomenon, it is difficult to measure using objective tests, such as by comparison to noise of known frequency and intensity, as in an audiometric test. The condition is often rated clinically on a simple scale from "slight" to "catastrophic" according to the practical difficulties it imposes, such as interference with sleep, quiet activities, or normal daily activities.[6] For research purposes, the more elaborate Tinnitus Handicap Inventory [7] is often used

4. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    benji this would explain why i often have trouble hearing people talk , mabel says im def , she could be close to right on that huh . i also have people say im yelling at them thats caused by not being able to in my oppinion hear my self over this noise inside my head .

5. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Charles I was thinking Tinnites also I have the same thing and had it for years I usually just ignore it. You might want to get it checked out just in case. I know my wife says I dont hear a thing either :lol: I think thats normal :big_smile: .

6. Hope

Hope New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Charles,

Having it checked would be a good idea, but you may want to first try some drops for removing ear wax... amazing how much wax can accumulate in there and block off the passage! Your local drug store should have a little box called "ear wax removal system"... it's just a small bottle of drops and a little syringe to flush it out. Good luck!

7. zoelife

zoelife New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Ahhhh yes,good ol' tinitus.
    I have had it for quite awhile,usually it is high frequency enough it does not bother me.And once in awhile,it will send some frequency a bit lower for maybe 5-10 seconds,and then be gone for some months.The higher frequency is always with me.
    My right ear has some damaged hairs/pickups.lol.When music is at a certain Db,and or frequency,it sounds like a blown speaker in that ear.
    I wish I could take back all the sound level abuse and the working noise abuse as well.(no ear-plugs)
    Peace and Plenty,
    Kevin

8. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Sounds like Tinnitus.
    I've had it for about 20 years. I first went to a doctor but found out nothing can be done. Sometimes it's worse and it never completely goes away. I started losing my high frequency hearing about the same time it started. I have a real problem understanding females and children without hearing aids. I have no problem hearing... but can't understand what they are saying.

9. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    An audiologist saved my bacon by explaining this to Ma. She thought I was ignoring her. I have a difficult time understanding my younger grandkids. A hearing check revealed background noise is the culprit. I was told hearing aids will not help that problem...
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    God gave us two ears and one mouth so we can listen twice as much as we talk.

10. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    this is exactly what im talking about , i can hear certain things fine infact at times the TV is quite deffening but the wife talking or young kids i have too listen close to hear what they are saying . pappaw had the same problem he wore hearing aids for years . this is good to know i thought meybe i was going nuts but perhaps i am :lol: if this head ache doesnt go away i will , its tention i think brought on by the continuous high pitch noise in my head . its like something has short circuted and wont quit .

11. cattinfever999

cattinfever999 New Member

State:
    KY
    Your Brother has the same problem. Sometimes it drives him nuts. He had such severe headaches and the doctor prescribed him Imatrix(sp?). They helped a little, but he had to quit taking them when I discovered that they could hurt him with his heart murmur. The ringing is constant in his ears, but I help relieve his headaches by massaging his temples, neck and sinuses.

Oh, Papaw and his hearing aid. I remember when Mamaw would be talking and he would reach up and turn it off, then smile at me sheepishly. I really miss that man. I always told Papaw that if Vernon turned out to be half as handsome as him, then I would have to keep him.

12. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Background noise is a problem with hearing aids but the better digital hearing aids can filter out a lot of the back ground noise. The first pair I had could amplify speech but they also amplified the back ground noise... so they were almost useless. I've had three different pairs over the last 15 years. They have made big improvements in the last few years. The ones I have now work much better than any I've had. And they are completely in the ear canal, that pair cost workers comp insurance $4800. They were top of the line 2 years ago.

13. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I Just got a new pair from the VA Ihave the same problen The VA set mine by computer I could`t belive The inprovements they have made the last 2 yrs It Would be worth checking into:0a26:

14. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    man do you think i should im only 38 i dont really want to give into the age thing yet , i can see it now a hearing aide , false teeth , then a walker all before im 40 :lol:

15. safetybass

safetybass New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Unfortunately Charles, sometimes age has nothing to do with it. Tinnitus can also be the result of damage to the middle and inner ear from (duh) loud noises. With the "c4 boom" in your screen name, I have to wonder if maybe you played with the plastic without ear plugs?

Technology has improved dramatically. Those geeks are into everything these days! :smile2:

16. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    There ya go Chuck. Yer sick now after reading all that stuff. But fact is the headache don't go hand in hand with tinnitis. But it does with the crappy air for sinusitus we have here in the Ohio valley. Then yer middle ear doesn't vent right and ya got the ringing thing going on. And the headache and the ringing really can happen with dental especially the wisdom and back molars. Had yer wisdom teeth out? Had a toothache that went away lately? Any problem with your balance? Ever dizzy. Middle ear infection will do that too. Fact is we all suffer here in the valley. I've got frequences I can't even hear. I've had two episodes of balance loss, I mean can't walk...Got Meinears Desease they think. Lots of tick thump boom and then 5 yrs under a steam turbine...and 30 years of Harley pipes.
    Life takes it's toll and then ya get to go fishing! But if it don't let up ya
    need real help. Peace out.

17. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

It may not help but if part of your problem is 'stopped up' ears you can pour a capful of rubbing alcohol in your ear and let it set for 10-30 seconds. that would help draw out any wax build-up. WARNING if you have a busted ear drum are anything like that do not attempt this, the pain will put you on your knees and leave you begging for death; for about 45 seconds after you dump the alcohol out of your ear.

18. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    This may work however I would suggest Hydrogen Peroxide H2O2 to clean your ears. If you do have wax build up it will fizzz up (tickles LOL) then just rinse out with water. I usually do this twice a year just to make sure that I dont get the build up.

19. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    in it's self needs investigating.I have heard of Tinnitus,but I have never heard people complain of a bad headache with it.Go to your doctor and get checked out for sure.Ya never know these days!

20. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    I have had tinnitus since I was a hook runner on an aircraft carrier back in the early 60s. It sounds like a field of crickets along with the static you hear on a TV set. I do have headaches almost every day but it isn't from the tinnitus.

Gary I tried the hydrogen peroxide in one ear one time and it made me so dizzy I couldn't stand up, I won't do that again.