Medic please

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by bluesbrother, Aug 24, 2006.

1. bluesbrother

bluesbrother New Member

State:
    texas
    my brotherin law hooked me in the back he was bass fishing. had to cut hook and pull it threw:sad2:

2. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    Ouch , are you sure it was an accident ?

3. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

you beat me to the punch uh hook uh

4. bluesbrother

bluesbrother New Member

State:
    texas
    lol. im starting to wonder:crazy:

5. john barber

john barber New Member

State:
    north carolina
    I was bass fishing with a friend one time and he hooked me through the eye lid with a crank bait when casting ......spend that day in the hospital :angry:

6. bluesbrother

bluesbrother New Member

State:
    texas
    ouchie.that had to hurt.

7. BamaCats Lady

BamaCats Lady New Member

State:
    Luverne, Alabama
    Robert, I sure hope you cleaned it out! Keep it clean & watch for any signs of infection, swelling, pus, red streaks, or anything that seems abnormal to you. If anything like this shows get your butt to a doc. you will probably need an antibiotic.... BTW when was tour last tetanus shot? If it was more than 10 or 15 years ago, you had better go to the doc now anyway & get a booster, while you are there, have him look at your boo boo.
    Lisa

8. bigcat_chaser

bigcat_chaser New Member

State:
    Cincy, Ohio
    Had a friend several years ago that was hooked right through the ear lobe with a crankbait I know it had to hurt but was really hard not to laugh you just dont see things like that everyday was a nice fashion statement though with a big O hanging off his ear :lol:

9. cat tamer

cat tamer New Member

State:
    MO
    ouch,accident hmmm.
    I found a cat that had a treble hook through both lips, you have not lived until you try to get a treble hook out of a stray cat, i still have scars.

10. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    My cousin told me a sad/funny storey. He was with his girlfriend one night and managed to talk her into letting him take the boat down to the lake and get it started. He promised her he wasnt going to fish, he just hadnt been in the boat for months and needed to make sure it would still start. So they got down there put it in, and it starts. So he realizes he has a few spare poles in the pole holders and puts I believe either a crank bait or rattle trap on one. After about the 3rd cast he hooks his girlfriend in the cheek. He said they cut the line, and drove home, where her brothers tortured her the whole way to the hospital.

11. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    Oooh, that's gotta hurt! :ah:

I did see an article in a bass fishing magazine about how to use a thread or piece of mono to remove a hook from your skin in one quick motion. It was a matter of where you apply pressure and yank the thread to pull the hook out. Apparently, the thread is looped in a way that the barb is pressed down into the incision as it comes out so that it does minimal additional damage.

What was so neat about the technique was that you could perform the "operation" on yourself, if you had to.

I'm sure that there are expert on the BOC who can provide the step-by-step procedure on this one!

12. navigator

navigator New Member

State:
    NC- Brunswick County
    Someone at my aunt's house had been saltwater fishing and forgot to take of the bait. Well, her cat tried.....My dad (her brother) had to remove the hooks... not a pretty site.

13. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    You cut the hooks remove the barbs then they slide right out.

14. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    That'll teach you to bass fish...

15. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Oh I totally forgot about another storey until you said this. Same exact thing happened, my brother was fishing and left his rod against the wall. Our dog knocked it over and grabbed a rattle trap. Talk about problems. I wasnt there at the time, thank god or I'd probably had problems. My dad said he had to use needle nose pliers to remove 3 barbs frim her lip.

16. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I knew this was comming.Heh,heh.Now,now.Bass do make good bait.You have my word of honor on this.peewee-williams.

17. Dmitri

Dmitri New Member

State:
    Illinois
    An older buddy of mine got a big hook stuck deep in his hand. Our other buddy saw that and said "Let's get back to shore, looks like we'll have to take a trip to the hospital." his response: "No we're not, give me those pliers!" He promptly grabbed the hook, loosened it some, then pushed it FARTHER into him until it looped around and the barb came back out the skin. He then cut the barb off and threaded the hook out. That's gotta hurt, but not as bad as pulling the barb back through the hole.

18. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    In reply to Jeremiads post what you do to get the hook out is you put like a 30 40 lb line in the circle of the hook you push down on the eye of the hook while pulling on the line all in one motion I have been doing it for years the barb will come out the same way it went in now if its stuck in the ear cut the eye of push it on through:that_hurt: :006:

19. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    Thanks, Ed!

I thought that was what I read, but I never have had to try it yet.

By wrapping the thread through the bend of the hook, as you pull, the thread tends to turn the hook so that pressure is removed from the barb as it comes out. They say that, if you do it right, you remove it so quickly that you don't feel a thing. If so, this sure beats trying to cut the barb and shank off! :eek:oooh:

20. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    And if you have no 30 to 40 pound fishing line then your back to cutting the barb off