Mechanical's or fixed blade broadheads?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by backwoodsman68geric, Aug 24, 2009.

1. backwoodsman68geric

backwoodsman68geric New Member

State:
    illinois
    Curious as to what everyone uses? Im a fixed blade shooter myself but a few of the new mechanicals have been tempting me.

2. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I shoot spit fire mechanicals . Been shooting them since 1999 .

3. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i shoot muzzy. when the holes look like bullets made them, i see no need to change.

4. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Rage mechanical. I was a fixed blade man myself and wouldn't even look at mechanical brodheads. then When I bought my new Ross bow, I decided to try them and see what the fuss is all about. They shoot better to me. I can group then all better than fixed blade, it truly is like shooting practice tips. Good luck and lets see some bbd's

5. 320hotrod

320hotrod New Member

State:
    KCMO
    Fixed for me, been shooting Thunderheads since I was 15 years old and they haven't let me down yet. Started with 125's, shot 85's for 1 season, and have been using 100's for the last 10 yrs or so. My brother tried mechs for a couple years and didn't care for them. My father shoots Muzzys and loves them, while my cousin is a believer in mechs. I feel in the end it's what you feel the most comfortable with and don't worry about when you're drawn back on that wallhanger.

6. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    Muzzy 3 blade 100's.

7. Angler4life

Angler4life New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I have shot the Rage Mechanicals, both two and three blade f the past two years and I have killed six deer with them. Unlike many mechanicals, they are rear deployment so there isn't as kinetic energy lost when they hit the animal. There are a couple fixed blade broadheads that I like, but some fixed blade broadheads don't fly like field tips and they plane, so you have to sight them in for your bow before you hunt with them. With the Rage Broadheads, you can take them out of the pack and hunt with them without shooting them before hand. Not to mention, they leave a massive hole in the animal.

8. bowman732000

bowman732000 Member

State:
    south park pa.
    slick tricks. shoot like darts,good penatration great blood trails.all steel heads.need anything else? try it youll like it.

9. catfishken

catfishken Member

State:
    Streator, Illin
    I got two words for ya G-5 Montecs best broadhead i have ever shot

10. dieselcat

dieselcat New Member

State:
    Washington, Mis
    I shoot mechanical.Rage 2 blade for me baby,all ill shoot at this time.I've been using them for 3 years haven't shot a deer that i haven't recovered yet!Does a number on turkey also.only thing bad about em is you don't always get to use em twice if you shoot deer,but i have shot multiple turkey with the same 1.

11. CATDADDY78

CATDADDY78 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I SHOOT STEEL FORCE 100 GRAIN FIXED BLADE. IVE SHOT MUZZYS, NAP, MECHANICAL, THE MECHANICAL JUST SEEM LIKE THEY COULD HIT A LIMB AND DEFLECT, AND THE MUZZY, NAP BROADHEADS FALL APART AT 40 YDS, THEY DIVE TO THE LEFT. STEEL FORCE FLY TRUE THERE IS A SIMILAR BRAODHEAD CALLED STINGER THAT ARE ALMOST JUST LIKE STEEL FORCE. THANKS

12. catfishcatcher

catfishcatcher New Member

State:
    indiana
    Rage for me and nothing else. I seen a lot of the fixed broadheads kill deer over the years. I always here guys talk about getting their sight set and adjusted for their broadheads just before hunting then they practice with them. The only problem is most of the time not two arrows will fly the same with the same broad head. Ive seen this even with the muzzys. The rage flies exactly like the field tips you have been using and you dont have to readjust those sights. The fixed broad heads wont always get good pentration and some times no pass throughs. The rage will leave larger holes and will pass through even at odd angles when a fixed wont. For me the benifits of the rage make up for any negatives. I know several old timers that were fixed broadhead only and now they shoot the rage and wont go back. You have to make your own decision but the rage will save you a lot of time shooting and adjusting those sights. When they say the rage will leave a massive hole and put them down they are not kidding. Good luck and happy hunting.

13. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    i have been a mechanical broad head guy sense i started bow hunting. i have tried fixed blades and actually have them on my arrows right now. i have shot muzzies, and now i have crimson talons. i usually use spitfire 100 gr. i have had the best of accuracy and success with them. the only reason i switched to fixed blades was when i decided to start bear hunting in west virginia. if it wasn't for that i would have never changed over to a fixed blade. i'm not going to bear hunt this year so i am going back to the mechanicals.

14. RonSki

RonSki New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I shoot 85 grain Slick Tricks and I LOVE them, but I might be trying the Rage's this year just to see. I don't like how every deer I see on TV shot with a Rage only goes in 12 inches. I shoot the 1 inch Slick Tricks to MAKE SURE I get an exit hole. IMO the best way to get the blood on the ground is to have a low exit hole. If you have no exit hole, most of the blood just goes to filling up the body cavity first. And if you can't get the blood to the ground, you have a higher chance of not finding the deer.
    Any decent broadhead will kill a deer if it's put in the right spot. I don't understand how a broadhead with a 2" cut will pass thru better than one with a 1" cut. That's just simple physics, the smaller the hole, the less drag to slow it down & the greater the penetration. I'm not saying this to argue, I just don't see how it could happen if placement is the same.
    I'm very picky about my arrows. I shoot almost year round. I do not have to adjust my sights to shoot Slick Tricks, they shoot in the same hole that my field points do, and as long as I put the arrow where I mean to, they always pass thru. I watch most of my deer fall down. To me, the only 2 reasons to shoot mechanicals are when you don't have the time to tune your bow or you want a very large cut. If that large cut doesn't pass all the way thru, I think it hurts your chances.
    This is just my opinion based on my experiences. It's not meant to put anyone down or cause any trouble :wink: Broadheads are probably THE most opinion oriented subject in bowhunting and everyone likes something different for different reasons. All it really comes down to is getting an arrow to fly straight and putting it in the right spot.

15. catfishcatcher

catfishcatcher New Member

State:
    indiana
    The first deer I killed with the rage was a complete pass through. I shot the deer at a odd angle in the neck passing through, downward out the other side of the deer through its shoulder. A very odd angle, went through the vitals and passed through the shoulder bone. I was shocked, my long time hunting partner was shocked. Him and his brother both switched to the rage after seeing that shot and damage. The funny thing is they both used fixed brodheads (muzzy's) one has a recurve and wooded arrows I think and the other shoots a old baby g with aluminum arrows that are like logs. I think they also switched over to carbon arrows as well. I havent heard of to many stories of the rage not passing through a deer. I use a 3 blade but not sure in any benefits of a 2 blade except a larger hole.

16. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    Mechanicals for me, but fixed blade Muzzy's for my girlfriend since she shoots a lot less kinetic energy. Both kill just fine. It's all about the archery putting it in the boiler room.

17. hereflattieflattie

hereflattieflattie New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Rage 100gr Rage 2 blade. Will not shoot anything else. Great expandable and clean kills. One thing I have noticed is that the folks that have bad things to say about them and that have lost deer to them shoot around 60lbs and under 260fps. I think its important to use a heavier arrow and more arrow speed. I shoot a 425gr Easton Axis with a 100gr Rage 2 blade and am shooting 280fps. All my shots have been clean passthru's with short recoveries.

18. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    I shoot tezzen mech's but have some 100 thunderheads I might try this year. that's all my uncles shoots and he swears by em

19. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    I killed my first deer shooting 26" and 50 lbs with big aluminum arrows and 1.75" cut Rocket Mini blasters. It wasn't a pass through, but the shot was perfect and blood was everywhere. IMO, it's still all about the shot placement.

Deer are thin skinned critters and it doesn't take much to punch through one side of a deer, if you put it in the right spot. I've seen so many people whine about hitting deer in the shoulders and losing them. That's when high kinetic energy bows really shine. It helps make a poor shot into a better one.

20. MUDCAT77

MUDCAT77 New Member

State:
    WV
    i use rocket bacon skiners fix blade have killed the last 10 or so deer with them . a buddy of mine used to shoot the rage 2 bladed shot 3 deer and one bear a never found them the bear the arrow never pass though it and did not leave a good blood trail so he went back to fixed bladed broadheads