Mechanical decoys

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by quackkillsduxs, Jan 29, 2006.

1. quackkillsduxs

quackkillsduxs New Member

State:
    madison mississippi
    How many mojos yal got working? I got one baby mojo but i think that theyre catching on. How bout yal?

2. Bubbahunter

Bubbahunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Up here in ohio i like to stay away from them because it seems every spread has 1 or 2 going. I do think they work well in the early part of the season when the birds are not use to seeing them. They can also be productive in the late season if you can find a area that has not been hunted hard. I would have to agree you i do think they are catchin on.but if we could get guys to work the birds into the deeks and quit sky bustin i dont think they would catch on as fast.:)

Where abouts is Madison? i have hunted south Greenwood acouple times in mathews break and the pascagoula river mgt.area.Pascagoula was a ball i seen more wood ducks there then any other place i`ve been.

3. quackkillsduxs

State:
    madison mississippi
    i live by airport, i hunt in vicksburg on chotard and eagle lake. have you ever hunted mahana in redwood

4. Bubbahunter

Bubbahunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Never hunted either of those places but i heard eagle lake is a great place to hunt.

It`s been about 6 years since i`ve been hunting down there.The last time i was there was when that ice storm went thru the south during Christmas of 98.i worked as a cable tv contractor and was sent to greenwood to help put it all back together.i spent about 2 months there and loved the area and i seem to always want to get back that in the fall.

5. jmuth

jmuth New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    hunt the rainwater basin in NE have 2 mojo drakes and 2 off brand allways have the mojos goin with 2 dozen decoys 1 doz mallards 1doz mixed pintail widgon woodys and some others. if you dont put out the mojo you might as well go home unless no one else around uses them.

6. djlabs

djlabs New Member

State:
    MO.
    we have a couple of mojos - we normally set out a big spread of decoys, sometimes you gotta have the mojos and sometimes you gotta hide the mojos - just have to watch the ducks and see what they know. One of our mojos is a little out of wack because a duck was coming in right on top of the mojo when we shot it and the duck hit the mojo on its way down, bent the base plate of the mojo but it still works...

7. N2Ducks

N2Ducks New Member

State:
    Texas
    We use 1 mojo and two jerk cords. We really don't use the mojo that much though. I think the ducks are starting to get used to the sight of them and they know what they mean. The jerk cords work great! We can attach 8 decs to each cord and a little pull now and then makes the ducks go wild. I've seen those jerk cords pull in countless numbers of ducks.

8. quackkillsduxs

State:
    madison mississippi
    yea i have one baby mojo and i made some jerk string dec's with rubber bands. It was pretty creative

9. fishoutloud

fishoutloud New Member

State:
    Kansas
    If it's sunny and you're usin' a mojo try putting some tan panty hose over the wings. It cuts down on the glare and looks more natural.

10. ASASIN

ASASIN New Member

State:
    Lawson Missouri
    I use the panty hose trick, but I do it on cloudy days to make it look more natural. On sunny days a ducks wings look just like a mojo flashing, but on a cloudy day they are duller, thus the panty hose. God bless.

11. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I personally wish that they would outlaw them in all states. They can be a pain to use, but under some circumstances if your neighbor has one you have to have on to compete with it. Although obviously sometimes they spook from them and it is better not to have one, I just think that it would be better to outlaw them and go back to the actual fundamentals of huntin, i.e. calling, deke placement, etc. I agree that they can work quite nicely, but just dont care for them myself.

12. ASASIN

ASASIN New Member

State:
    Lawson Missouri
    I used to want them outlawed, until I thought about the people who went into business manufacturing them. I think they do need to regulate their use somewhat, but not an all-out ban. It really hurt businesses sales(Mack's Prairie Wings-sales were down over 25% this last year due to it!!!!!!!!!)in Arkansas when they totally banned them. God bless.

13. TeamCatHazzard

State:
    Illinois
    asasin, yea I see your point, but I mean the companies that came out with them and created them had to have made a killing off of them because of the amount that they have sold and I just think of the hunting aspect of it I mean the retail stores will bounce back from a ban I dont really think that a ban on motorized dekes will really hurt a company its just one line of product although there are many of these purchased a year. Just seems to me like they should be banned, we dont worry bout sales when banning some other things, and Im sure Macks and other companies will get by just fine without em.....I know they put a hurting on my bank account and I dont buy em.:p Just my two cents.

14. TeamCatHazzard

State:
    Illinois
    And of total sales that would blow my mind that sales were down over 25% from Macks because of it. You are talking about total sales right? That blows my mind I dont know how it could even be that high.

15. ASASIN

ASASIN New Member

State:
    Lawson Missouri
    Yep, total sales. I have inside info on that one. I thought the same thing, but when you really think about it and how much they cost and all of the rich people that frequent that store when they come to Stuttgardt to hunt, it makes sense. I'm with you, if someone else in the marsh has one, you need one to kill birds. I still believe that decoys are our weakest link in waterfowling. While hunting with Phil this fall, we'd have ducks come in and flare from the decoys. The robos and educated them ALOT and they REALLY look a spread over before committing anymore. ALOT more pressure than when I first started, that's for sure. Once the robos came out, EVERYONE started hunting ducks, even those who can't hunt worth a darn, but totally rely on the robos to kill the ducks. God bless.

16. N2Ducks

N2Ducks New Member

State:
    Texas
    I don't think outlawing them would be a good idea. Demand for them will naturally dissipate. Ducks are beginning to wise up to mojos so we have almost completely eliminated them from our spreads. As the lose interest in them so will the hunters. Every thing has it's fifteen minuets of fame my friend give them a couple more years, and I guarantee that you will see them vanish from hunters spreads.

17. TeamCatHazzard

State:
    Illinois
    I dont know n2duks, I mean they are always going to have a effect on young birds because they havent seen them and the older birds are getting wise and used to them and wouldnt go near them. Thus if we keep them around our bird populations are going to get older and older and will be tougher to kill with anything with or without wings. I just think that outlawing them will get rid of all this mess and allow it to go back to the way it should be and Im not sure if they will ever really die off because like we said earlier if ur neighbor has one you have to have some to compete so there will be an ongoing battle. I hunt lots of public as well as private and see a major difference in their use.
    Asasin that is amazing about the Macks loss in sales, although yea i guess as a total percentage of total profits if they did sell a bunch of them then it could have a pretty large affect on overall sales but it seems to me like their sales would have had to have a huge jump since they came out so why would it hurt for them to go back to the way they were before they came out. I dunno its a topic that will keep being discussed until their is an actual law and then it will still be discussed as to whether it should be a law or not:sad:.

18. quackkillsduxs

State:
    madison mississippi
    im not saying anything to affend anyone up north but i think they should outlaw them for northern states and just keep it legal for southern states cuz by time them ducks get down here they dont wanna land in anything cuz they already saw it before they came down. us down south need all we can get to get ducks to work. but with the mojo i think people are killing a lot of young ducks

19. TeamCatHazzard

State:
    Illinois
    I dont know how that is when arkansas, mississippi, louisiana are some of the top kills. No matter what birds will be more educated when they get down there, but that is all part of the game of following them down there. I dont think it would ever be able to happen like that but thats just me. Some guys down south were mad this year cuz they didnt have the best year they stayed farther up here like they usually do down there. That will prolly all change again next year. Its always different.

20. N2Ducks

N2Ducks New Member

State:
    Texas
    Yeah but thats the thing, by the time they get down south they are so smart it takes a lot to get them in. The guys up north only have to set out some decoys and wait. You usually don't even have to call. Now when they get down here it's a different story, we have to be able to call like the pros, usually have to have big spreads, and motion. We have to have a lot of motion in our decoys to get the ducks to look. Now I don't think that mojos are always the answer. Like I said we hardly ever use them. I know some guys that hunt up north, and they tell me it's much more difficult to bring the ducks in down south.