Mechanical broadheads

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by jeffw51, Sep 24, 2007.

1. jeffw51

jeffw51 New Member

State:
    mo
    im interested to know how many of you use mechanical broadheads?i have had problems with early models years ago but,but i use them now with amazing results.i used to use conventional broadheads, but i found once my bow speeds increased past 250 260 feet per second tuning them became a nightmare.id like to know your thoughts on this matter.

2. THRowSOmeStink

THRowSOmeStink New Member

State:
    sedgwick, kansas
    I have never shot anything else when i went hunting. I love my 100 grain thunderheads. They are very durable and i have never had a major issue with tuning them. I tune them on a arrow spinner and then put them on the arrow. Every now and then i will get one that wont spin right and it usually ends up being and old ferral. Altough i have friends that love mechanicals. I think is all just personnal preferance. If you cant get a fixed blade to tune then by all means get some good mechanicals. There is nothing wrong with either kind. This is just my opinion. I just like to limit what can go wrong when i am hunting. I have to give myself all the edge i can get. Good luck hunting everyone and be safe.:big_smile:

3. BLKCLOUD

BLKCLOUD Member

State:
    Pulaski Tn
    I liked them so much I bought some for my crossbow too!!

4. floundahman

floundahman New Member

State:
    North Caro
    I use G5 Montec 100gr. fixed blade broad heads. I don't like messing with replaceable blades and have reservations about the mechanicals. If I have to do anything to the broad head something will probably go wrong. I love the Montecs. I practiced with 100 grain field points, then just before the season started practiced with the broad head and was dead on.

5. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Like Shawn, I try to eliminate possible problems before going hunting. I like the bare bones approach, so I don't buy into many gimmicks. The only expandable I own is one that I found in a deer's shoulder while skinning it. It still had the rubber band on it. I've tried a lot of replaceable blade heads, and some of them worked fine. I prefer the Bear Razor heads and have some that I've killed many deer with and have used for years.

6. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i bought some last year, and a buddy forgot his pack of broadheads when we went hunting. i gave him the pack of mechanicals, and he didn't shoot a deer. i got one and after field dressing and the grill was heating up, we did a 'penetration test' on the deer's head. i was amazed to see that the actual cutting diameter was bigger than the muzzy 4 blades i was using, and it also started cutting on impact with total penetration out to 30 yards. the neighbors were kind of freaked out at our choice of a target, but they don't hunt. that's another story...
    i got 20 muzzy broadheads from the wife for christmas, so after i go through them, i might try the mechanicals. they seemed alright to me!

7. jeffw51

jeffw51 New Member

State:
    mo
    i too love the one piece broadheads,snuffers razorheads,etc.i worked in an archery pro shop and set up and tuned bows.i found time after time there seemed to be a threshold usually about 270 feet per second+ where large conventional broadheads became hard to tune.that is why all the mini and mechanical broadheds appeared.a super fast bow with a large broadhead on it is like a pitcher in baseball throwing a knuckle ball its unpredictable and may land in a different place everytime.

8. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    100 grain Spitfire's for me. Been using them for 5-6 years now and haven't had a problem.

9. jeffw51

jeffw51 New Member

State:
    mo
    i have used the spitfires too they are awsome,i now use the G5 tekkan,

10. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    i used the mechanical for a while and went back to bear super razorheads and muzzy. the mechanical worked fine on deer.. remember in texas most of out deer only field dress up to 110#. the problem was with hogs. the mechanical worked good as long as the hog was at a 90 degree angle, but if the bigger hogs were quartering away they did not always penetrate well. they have so many mechanical broadheads now that i am sure some of them would be ok in all situations. it would just take a lot of shooting to find the perfect one for your situation.

11. Big B

Big B New Member

State:
    North Texas
    Check out Gillatines. They have a mechanical broadhead that has an enormous cutting area. The entry wound looked to be 3+ inches.

12. stinkbaitman

stinkbaitman New Member

State:
    south dakota
    the thing with mechanicals is that when they hit somthing, there going to hit the animal hard and there going to know that theve just benn hit with a set of killer razor blades, but fixed blades, if the animal isnt payin attention and the arrow goes right through it they will run a couple feet because of the noise and wont really feel the arrow even though it just went all the way through their body and they will probably just fall over right there withing seeing distance. this probably sounds stupid and unlikely but if you do everything right itll work. the only thing i would use mechanicals for is turkey.

13. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    i thought those were for turkey? i thought they are fixed blade? used to cut the turkeys head off. is there a new one i dont know about yet or what?

14. stinkbaitman

stinkbaitman New Member

State:
    south dakota
  15. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    i have to shoot mechanicals. my bow is so fast, i dont group worth a crap using open broadheads. you dont need a huge cutting diameter head either. keep in mind the bigger the diameter, the more it'll slow it down. i prefer my arrow to exit the deer. so, i can #1 get my arrow back unbroken. and #2 leave an exit hole that'll bleed good in case the deer walks (or runs) farther than expected. i use rockets. i use to use the big diameter ones but i got tired of watching the deer crash off through the woods with an expensive arrow hanging out of it. once i shot a nice buck with the 3 inchers, i hit him almost straight down. the arrow hit the back side of his breast bone and did'nt exit. he never left enough of a trail to find him. and, i'm positive he died. i use the 100 grain, i think they're called sidewinders. i dont practice with my broadheads anymore either. they fly just like a field point.

16. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Yea, I shot an 8 pointer from the ground one day and he went right back to feeding on Acorns. The four deer that were with him didn't even spook. I thought I had missed so I shot again. This time I saw the arrow go through the chest. He jumped a bit and started feeding again, but in less then a minute, he just fell over dead. Both Bear Razor heads had gone through about 2 inches apart and exited cleanly out the other side. The deer didn't even know he was hurt. I doesn't get much better than that. I don't worry about grouping since it's only the first shot that counts anyway. I don't envy you open country hunters. Around here we don't need to take long shots at deer. I haven't shot an arrow more than 20 yards in several years. To me, bow hunting is about how close I can get a shot, not how far. At close range (20-30 yards) ANY sharp broadhead will do a good job.

17. coble9

coble9 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I got the deer in my pic with 125gr thunderhead fixed blade. It was 28yards and he jumped it a little and I only got one lung. He ran 100yards and fell. It passed through him and burried in the ground haph way up the shaft. I don't see the need for the larger cutting diameter. Seems to me that you would be less likely to get a clean pass through, more chance of hitting ribs. If a one lung shot will drop a deer that dressed out at 146lb, I don't see the need for the expandables. The only way I can see the appeal is if they shoot any better.