mech vs straight broad head

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by bluecatnut, Oct 20, 2005.

1. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    I shot a deer sunday with a grim reaper mech broad head and only one blade opened up so i am wondering what y'all shoot

dusty
    U.S.M.C ALUMNI
    GOD BLESS

2. SSG Johnson

SSG Johnson New Member

State:
    Saint Robert Missouri
    Muzzy 100 grain and have never had a problem.

3. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I started shooting the G5 mechanicals. I really like them no rubber band or other crazy things to hold the blade in place. There slick and easy to operate. I still love my thunderhead 100's though.

4. MadKater

MadKater New Member

State:
    Evansville,IN
    i got into that mech craze after they where hyped up,i was using the rocket sidewinders{i think what they where} the first deer i shot with them i never recovered,left a bad blood trail but it felt like a good shot,i wasnt really sure if i should blame the heads or not,a few days later i shot a big doe and i knew it was a perfect shot,i retreived my arrow and only one blade was open i tracked that deer forever and finaly found her.
    since then i have been using nothing but magnus heads i absolutley love the new stingers,opening day thi syear i stuck a doe and thier was so much blood it looked like a slaughter,1 week later another doe same results,only thing i dont like about them is i have to use arrows with inserts{alum. or carbon} and since im a trad shooter i love to use my cedar arrows but for the stingers ill make that sacrafice another awsome magnus head is the snuffer i absolutly love these heads for turkey,they work on deer just as well tho.

5. hookeye

hookeye New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Nothin but Muzzy 100 grain for me.

6. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX
    I used to use Rocket 100 grain mechanicals, that was about 5-7 years ago. I took three animals wiht them, 2 black bear and a caribou. Never had a problem with them and was always impressed with their cutting and killing power, but what you mentioned abou the m not opening always concerned me. because of that i now use 100 grain muzzy's.

-brian

7. Big Country01

Big Country01 New Member

State:
    brandon,florida
    i use 100 grain spitfires mech. i am really impressed with their cutting ability they don't require rubberband. sometimes the mechanical broadheads look like they don't open up but i've seen first hand on a doe my buddy shot that it opened on entry then when it exited the doe two of the slapped closed making it look like only one blade opened so when we found her and ckecked her out she had two big ol' 1 1/2" holes in her with 3 blades showing..

8. MadKater

MadKater New Member

State:
    Evansville,IN
    ive her dof that happing as well.blades opening when you think they didnt,close upon exiting.
    my dad swears by mechs and makes fun of me for still using fixed heads,its all about prefrence i reckon.as for me it a confidence thing and if i have the slightest bad feeling about any of my equipmnet i get rid of it and get somthing i feel 100% confident with.
    i seen 2 deer the other day my neighbor and his son killed and my neighbor uses slick trick heads and his son used rocky mountin snyper mech heads.man these deer looked like someone threw a 3,000 mph fast ball threw em,both had small entrance wounds and massive exit wound.i was higly impressed with the holes these relativly small heads made.the magnus stinger buzz cuts i use will leave a monsterouse hole but they are alot larger in size compared to the 2 heads they use.just amazing!